UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Nice Grandaddy find. I've never seen one of those. Is it The Sophtware Slump album and the Signal To Snow Ratio EP packaged together? They're both excellent.

minibreakfast likes this.
  2. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Ah yes it is. The insert for STSR had been put at the front of the jewel case. I didn't realise, since these guys are new to me, although I've heard good things about them.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You have their best album. Enjoy! The first track on Signal to Snow Ratio is a favourite of mine too.

4. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen - The River
    Vinyl 99p

5. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

You’re in for a treat! Wonderful band. Sumday is my favourite, but Sophtware Slump is up there too.

I need to pick up the EPs, I only have Todd Zilla at the moment.

6. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Two more for the car!:-

Grease Film Soundtrack (a snip at 49p)

...and...

Diana Ross - One Woman "Ultimate" Collection (also 49p - not a brilliant compilation, but it has the odd killer track)

Dave S and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  7. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I got the Cheers Complete Series Boxset for like $40 from a UK retailer a couple of years ago. To buy the complete series here in Australia its $220 for essentially the same box.

8. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hope it was just for the case!

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Jimi Hendix - Live at Fillmore East (Experience Hendrix edition) £1.99.

MC Rag likes this.
  10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Very rarely do I see decent LPs for 99p these days.

Shak Cohen and Man at C&A like this.
  11. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

$1 in Memphis.

12. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

In Oxfam, saw a box of 40s/50s Jazz/Swing CDs, today, obviously donated as a job lot...About 200 all together..Stuff like Art Blakey, Glenn Miller, Dinah Shore...

To my untrained eye, there didn't seem to be anything spectacular there, so I took nothing. Some of them even had US price stickers, which was a bit of a surprise. It's possible there was a gem or two but how could I tell, knowing nothing about the genre?

It's a funny feeling when you see a collection like that, as you just know that the owner has died, and the family has 'dumped' his beloved music.. (reminds you that it'll come to us all :cry:) On the brighter side, perhaps someone will buy the stuff, get into it, contribute to the charity., etc, but it wasn't for me...

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Siegmund and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

$ price stickers may also indicate Singapore or Hong Kong. The values will give the game away (Singapore CDs should be ~$30; Hong Kong CDs should be ~$100). CDs from Europe, North America, Japan, or Australia were sold in Singapore and Hong Kong. Trad jazz isn't my thing, so I wouldn't really know about titles. I could tell where and roughly when the CDs were made though.

Robert C and johnnybrum like this.
  14. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

Two charity shops in my town. One has just stopped doing CDs it seems (they were there two weeks ago, gone now).

The other had 4 for a £1 (or £1.95 each...)

15. MC Rag

Yes CDs in Hong Kong from around 1987/88 onwards (when I started collecting CDs and lived in Hong Kong) typically cost around HK$100 which at the time was about £7.50.

Robert C and Dave S like this.
  16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Reminds me of those offers from supermarkets: two for £1 or £1.50 each.

17. Django

Django Forum Resident

It must be a year since I have found any CDs worth buying in a charity shop. I have look every few weeks. There seems to be less CDs in charity shops now.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Three boot sales today, all quite quiet, and still the CDs are hiding, there was a proper collection of some sort of Metal, but it was outside my knowledge and interest, it did go very quickly though, otherwise the same sad titles nobody wants or a few things I'd buy for £1, but they were priced at £2, I'm more than happy to pay £2 for CDs, just not these titles.

Vinyl on the other hand turned out to be a pleasant surprise, the first sale was slow, upgraded my "Brothers In Arms" to near mint, bought a couple of Jazz LPs, Clark Terry "The Happy Horns Of" and Donald Byrd/Gigi Gryce "Modern Jazz Perspective", plus Elvis "Best Of" 10" and "Rock 'n' Roll" both on HMV, both well played, but will see how they sound on my mono deck after an ultrasonic clean. The second booter was looking a waste of time until at the end, a car pulled up, opened the boot and I volunteered to put all his records on the table, :cool: it was mostly mainstream pop, but my nephew now has some more Queen, Prince and Michael Jackson for his collection, plus I have a few bits, whilst I was going through those another seller had turned up and I bought about three dozen Decca mono Classical LPs, normally I would have just cherry picked five or six, but they so obviously belonged together, looked great and I got the lot for £15, yet more fodder for my mono deck, looking forward to the violin records. The final sale keeps buyers out until 1pm, in theory no deals can be made, but dealers on the inside had snaffled any Floyd or similar, I picked up some French music some Spanish Flamenco and what looks like Polish Rock, a diverse day and I finished with a full bag of records for the first time in months.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  19. MC Rag

Always great to come away with a good haul! I've still yet to visit a bootsale. Is the one near Wotton under Edge any good anyone know?

20. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Couple of boots here yesterday, ended up with a pair of Walter Carlos records, an Impressions comp, Stevie's SITKOL (which I have, but this one is minty and has the EP still), Richard and Linda Thompson's Pour Down Like Silver, and some Ravi Shankar, among other things. Best was a beautiful copy of Musique du Burundi for 50p - had to dig through bags of utter, utter ****e to find it, but worth the effort.

D.B., observerstation, Mylene and 2 others like this.
  21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Sorry, wrong side of the city for me, no idea, but remember that if you do go be there for opening/set up time, get there an hour later and you are unlikely to find anything.:righton:

22. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

umm, hello !
    to my shame I have not been to it despite it being on my doorstep.
    I used to do car boots, but always found them to be pretty hard work re cds, but seeing that charity shops round here seem to be quitting re cds I guess car boots are going to be the only option soon.

23. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Picked up Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns for £1.99 last weekend. Very nice album
    Week before got Sheer Heart Attack by Queen for £0.99

Dave S likes this.
  24. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I meant to buy Primal Scream's Riot City Blues in 2006 when it came out, but instead I waited 13 years and got it for a pound last week.

I didn't previously have anything after XTRMNTR and its piqued an interest in listening to some of their more recent albums.

D.B. likes this.
  25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Probably my downfall. Getting out for 6.45am Sunday morning is a non starter. Getting up for 6.45 am and finding nothing would really annoy me.