Worst Edit you've ever heard...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Apollo C. Vermouth, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Prove it.

urasam2 and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Emotional Rescue on 40 Licks is pretty clunky, like changing paint colour midway through a wall and thinking you used a similar shade that's hard to spot.
    The tempo jars and if I had spliced that back as a teen on a home cassette it would have bothered me not to do it again.

Worse......

Rocks Off on Live Licks must have cut out an error or tape damage in the dream like mid section and thought no one would notice if they spliced separate parts together with no correction or insert.
    The quality control guy clocked off and left a deaf gibbon to run the session.
    Appalling.

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I forgot about Liar. That's the worst I've heard. Ridiculously bad from the second it starts.

4. central616

central616 Forum Resident

"Echoes" from the compilation with the same name. Badly abridged in crucial parts.

Larry Schmidt and bigdoug920 like this.
  5. bigdoug920

bigdoug920 Forum Resident

I totally agree with "Liar" and "Detroit Rock City." There are some really dumb 8 track edits out there too, like this version of "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)." Really bad. I did like how the 8 track for Some Girls had a longer version of "Beast of Burden" with the extra verse (Be your slave and take your cursin') but there are some funny edits there too - "Shattered" is cut (I believe it's the promo version) and "Miss You" is a weird edit as well (longer than the LP, shorter than the 12" single.) "Far Away Eyes" is the single version.

6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Disagree 100%! Those audacious edits are what makes the song uniquely great. It's a modular record. It has modules!

7. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I like modules...:wiggle:

Zack likes this.
  8. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

And I agree with you! One of my favorite songs of all time! Brian Wilson really changed the way pop music was made and edited.

9. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

Type O Negative - Love You to Death (single edit)
    I want to punch the head of the genius who edited the end of the song.

onionmaster likes this.
  10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I don't think I've ever heard the "Jet" edit . . . so I searched for it on youtube, found someone who posted it, and in their description they write: "I restored both sections"--oy vey! Why would anyone be searching for the edit but want to hear this youtuber's "restoration"?

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Might have been his Mull Of Inspire?

daveidmarx likes this.
  12. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

First one that came to mind for me too.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  13. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

USA edit of Queen´s Liar, terrible

Dodoz, JP Christian and Man at C&A like this.
  14. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

One of my favorite examples:

Boyd Gilmore, “All In My Dreams,” Modern 872, released around 1952. The first 24 seconds, and the section from 2:00 to 2:24, are flown-in from Elmore James’ “Dust My Broom” (which it blatantly imitates). Gilmore’s slide guitar, and the overall power of the band on the Gilmore sections, fall far short of Elmore’s record. The transitions back & forth are jarring... to say the least!

Imagine a record where the named performer wasn’t quite up to snuff, so part of an already released (and popular) record by a superior performer - which is being copied anyway - is edited in to boost the power of the copy record!

15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm not sure what you're hearing on either one of those . . . they both sound okay to me. On "Rocks Off" there's a quirky crash cymbal choke on "4" of the bar prior to going back to the chorus out of that "dream like mid section," but I'm not at all convinced that that's even an edit and not just something quirky that Charlie did.

It would probably be better if we posted media for these and specified the timestamp (or time range) and just what we think is going on/just what we feel the problem is.

Some of the other examples seem to just be edits that result in very different arrangements than one is used to. That's different than the idea of a sloppy or careless edit.

MungoMusic likes this.
  16. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kind of defeats the purpose of the "Edit". Too funny.

17. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

If I recall correctly, there is a 7" version of "The Spirit of Radio" where the song just suddenly fades out for no reason, well before the actual ending. I have a K-Tel compilation with a heavily-butchered "Year of the Cat," and another with a totally ruined 'Free Bird."

18. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Bowie - the Young Americans 7" edit. Absolutely awful.

duggan and downer like this.
  19. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I didn't think anything could top the editing mess that is "Black Betty"....

Until I heard the 2-minute edit of the Italian "Theme From The Monkees." Good... GRAVY. (Yes, I know the reason - they didn't want Micky to have to learn more than one verse!)

TimeWarper likes this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I used to think I was the only person on Earth who noticed bad edits in songs like this... I'm so glad I'm not. :)

Apollo C. Vermouth and Keith V like this.
  21. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Actually this
    Sounds good

22. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

The US edit of the Smiths' "How Soon Is Now" is a disaster. It starts out inoffensively enough but goes totally nuts after the second verse and instrumental break.

23. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

I want to once again defend the Queen "Liar" edit.

hands up, who has the actual US mono/stereo wlp 45 rpm? Because that is specifically what I'm referring to, nothing digital or uploaded. The stereo side of that elektra 45 is what I'm talkin bout here.

I'm sure that YT clip doesn't do an inch of justice to something that is a million edits.

Yes, I hated it the first few times I heard it having been so familiar with the album version since a childe.

But once I got used to it, in a way where you're aware this is a crazy ridiculous edit and that's ok in this instance because really once I played this loud as hell a few times, once I got over myself ;) and my hangup that I knew better, I kinda fell in love with one of my favorite Queen songs all over again. :)

24. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

Hammer To Fall 7"/12"single is also a disaster edit.

25. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

My Life on Billy Joel Greatest Hits vol 1 and 2.

downer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.