Worst Edit you've ever heard...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Apollo C. Vermouth, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The Who - Rael

Spadeygrove likes this.
  2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The 7" promo edit of the original version of David Bowie's All The Madmen must at least be in the running for a placing in this competition, alongside the French promo edit of Station To Station.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If I ever have to see another demagnetized razorblade again, it will be too soon.

4. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

The one in We Gotta Live together is pretty bad too.

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Have to share this of course:

6. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

The original release of Sweet Jane.

illwind64 likes this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I love this record, but there are some awful edits between the various sections. The one at 2:15 is especially clumsy.

plentyofjamjars67 likes this.
  8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Yep, has to be that.

PhoffiFozz and WMTC like this.
  9. PDMan

PDMan Forum Resident

One of the worst edits I've ever heard is going into the instrumental break in Tommy James & The Shondells "Crimson and Clover". There is a tape speed mismatch or something going on there, the key actually lowers a half step.

I've always thought the ending of The Beatles' "Roll Over Beethoven" reeks of a bad edit.

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This was recorded to make an album version after the single was a hit, and they screwed up and recorded it that way. The reissue of the album corrects it.

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

None is more jarring than The Who's Rael.

Colocally likes this.
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The infamous 'Fear of the Dark' edit on Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio album.

13. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

I like that edit! Very post-modern.

Gene Parmesan, 51IS and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  14. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Speaking of McCartney mixes, I don't know whose brilliant idea it was to use the mix of Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey on the Pure McCartney compilation that has the tail-end guitar run bit that segues into Smile Away on the album rather than just fade out as on the single.

15. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

The edit of Yoko Ono's "Mindtrain" from FLY for the ONOBOX reissue condenses 16:52 into 3:56 and sound like someone randomly picking up the needle and moving it to different portions of the song!

16. Terry Shute

Terry Shute King of Sweden

There was a radio edit of Stairway to Heaven back in the day - to make it short enough for AM. I don't know if it was heard anywhere besides Atlanta - and instead of chopping out a verse or two, they made a hundred little edits to cut out anything that wasn't a vocal or guitar solo. Unlistenable!

17. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Beatles’ “You Know My Name (Look Up the Number), from the Anthology set. I had hoped for better from my favorite Beatle track. Come to think, the whole set was kind of shaky with edits and playback speed issues. I know.. but I hoped for more back then.

Keith V and nosticker like this.
  18. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

As a cut-and-paste job from ca. 1952, it’s a pretty impressive feat, definitely. Someone with more knowledge than I have of the Biharis’ recording setup(s) can speak to this - but I suspect the Elmore record may have originally been cut to disc, not tape. To make the Boyd Gilmore record, it may have required a tape copy to be made from an Elmore record, which was then spliced together with a tape of Gilmore’s performance. It could be even more complicated than that. Crazy to think that was done in ‘52!

Bringing it up in this context of “worst edits,” I was mostly thinking of how crass a move it was, on the part of Modern. It speaks a lot to how cutthroat the indie blues field was in those days. The transitions between ambiences of the two recordings sound pretty awkward to me, but in some ways it is pretty smooth & slick editing job. Still really crass though. Wonder what Elmore thought about his playing being used in this way?

Jonny W likes this.
  19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I will have to get the timings for you if you can't hear the studio bungles.

20. All Down The Line

Is that still on new cd's?

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The Deluxe Edition has it.

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

The crowd Barker prior to She's A Rainbow from Their Satanic Majesties Request is always rightly removed from compilations however for the 72' UK Milestones (& I believe an 8I' Phillipines lp) it was retaimed which is jarring given its other surroundings.

23. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Wrong!

24. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Wrong again!

25. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

Kiss - Detroit Rock City (Single Version)
    Quiet Riot - Cum On Feel The Noize (Single Version)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.