What is your worst concert experience?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beachboydw, Jul 11, 2013.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

You say 'ironic', I say 'predictable'. :D

Something similar happened to my buddy in Providence at a Dead show in 1987. In his case, there was a guy with a "parking" sign taking money from people and sending them down this alley to some random unmarked parking lot. At the end of the night, Sign Dude was (of course) nowhere to be found and my friend's car had been broken into.

squittolo and warewolf95 like this.
  2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Sly and the Family Stone don't seem to have figured in this thread, which surprises me.

agundy and uzn007 like this.
  3. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

Don't know about 'predictable'...I lived not so far from that gas station. It was in a lilly white middle class suburban neighborhood on Hempstead Turnpike, a well lit six lane highway, not down some alley in the city. Why, there's even a Starbucks on the spot now ! :cool:

uzn007 likes this.
  4. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Lost my shoes.

Lost my shirt.

Ended up in ER.

Missed the show.

The next day was better.

squittolo, clhboa and uzn007 like this.
  5. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

If you hadn't missed the show, this could have been an even-more-wild story!

6. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Oh man, I saw Jeff Buckley, Laura Nyro, John Fahey, Arthur Lee and a few others not long before they left this world.

MrSka57 and pierogy like this.
  7. pierogy

pierogy Forum Resident

This was a bad experience that turned out well -- mid '70s, Philadelphia Spectrum, The Kinks w/Mott the Hoople. I drove my brother down to the Philly area and our car broke down miles away from the venue. A policeman happened by and we told him our dilemma. "I'll get you there!" he exclaimed and took us on a wild ride to the concert, sounding his siren to move other motorists out of the way and I think taking to the sidewalk a couple of times. He dropped us at the door and we missed most of Mott but none of the Kinks. Got a cab back to the car and roadside assistance got us back on the road. Memorable night on multiple levels.

Moshe, Runicen, Complier and 18 others like this.
  8. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

metallica & guns and roses / faith no more when I was young. the crowd/section we sat in was insane, not in a good way. fights, fires ( basically anything they could set on fire and throw they did /someone at the venue had the stupid idea of selling massive drink cups- which were thrown everywhere and at anybody all day long. more than one empty bottle whizzed by our heads. Ended up getting into a mini brawl with idiots behind us. crazy times for sure.

Citrus and clhboa like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yikes! I've only been to the Nassau Coliseum a handful of times, but except for Bowie 1990, I've parked on the street and had no trouble - all in the last few years.

Maybe the area near the venue is nicer/safer than it was in 1976?

(I parked in the venue lot for Bowie but didn't pay - I was late and missed like the 1st 45 minutes of the show, and they stopped collecting fees at some point...)

squittolo and Fullbug like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oh - I guess my post above that thought maybe the area was crappier in 1976 is wrong! I'm too lazy to delete it, though! :D

Well, crime can happen anywhere. In 1994, my car got broken into - via a busted window - on a fairly busy and "safe" street in the middle of the day!

Still not sure how the crook pulled that off. How did no one see some guy smash my window? :wtf:

mickey g likes this.
  11. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Still think Laura Nyro doesn't get all the acclaim she deserves.
    Eli and the Fifth Dimension have been in my collection for fifty years now.

Zeppelin fan and Rufus McDufus like this.
  12. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it was the local White Punks on Dope. I'd even bet a cookie the creep knew me & that my car had a decent stereo & tapes inside it.

I think all the glass winds up on the inside when they break it & it doesn't sound like glass breaking on TV. Or they put duct tape on the window to keep it from shattering...

13. Oatsdad

Could be. Still seems really brazen to break into a car at like 1PM on a fairly busy street!

The only other break-in I dealt with was on a marginal - not bad, but semi-iffy - street in DC and was at 10PM or so on a Saturday night.

That one I understood - and kinda blamed myself. I had a tape deck that you could remove from the dash but I just forgot! :help:'

With the daylight break-in, I also left the deck in the dash but that was because I figured no one would break into my car at 1PM on a sunny summer day on a busy street!

Also, I was just picking up a friend to go to lunch, so I was only going to be away from the car for 10 minutes, tops!

mickey g likes this.
  14. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I was assaulted at a Sting concert during his Sacred Love tour. Guess I kinda deserved it for even being there.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Club-Jason & the Scorchers
    Concert Hall or larger-none.

16. Michael

hope you got a refund! ; )

17. Michael

LOL...the name is a give a way. ; )

mickey g likes this.
  18. Zeppelin fan

Zeppelin fan Forum Resident

Who Knows What should be the name of the next Who album

squittolo and 131east23 like this.
  19. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

That concert was hyped like no other, it was ridiculous. People were talking about it like this was going to be the next Woodstock or Live Aid, only bigger and better! The MSM was obsessed with the whole thing and the expectations were enormous.

It's funny to read that the concert actually sucked... Guess the old saying is true: don't believe the hype.

20. Zeppelin fan

Zeppelin fan Forum Resident

at least u got to see him. if he played some small club tickets would've been sold out in half an hour

squittolo likes this.
  21. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Insert artist here
    Couldn't have said it better. I never saw the deeper sense of filming a minute of a concert with one's mobile phone. What do people do with that? And it is annoying to watch a horde of mobile phones in front of you.

uzn007 and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  22. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Grateful dead like 1985 Twin cities Homerdome.
    F in worthless.

squittolo likes this.
  23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

One of the great mysteries of life.

24. bassordrum?

bassordrum? Forum Resident

My worst concert experience was in actually meeting the lead singer after a show. The meeting was pleasant and all, but somehow the mystique or whatever was lost. I found I couldn't listen to their music for a long time because the aura was missing. That's the best I can explain it.

uzn007 likes this.
  25. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

Standing in 3 feet of mud at City Island, Harrisburg, waiting for Aerosmith to come back on stage after the rainstorm.
    Rock In A Hard Place Tour, 1983, Steven Tyler: Wasted.

squittolo and clhboa like this.