Dave Dexter, Capitol and the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

You are correct about that. I owe you an apology. I corrected you because as a person from England you always seem to be telling the Americans how it was in America. So I "lashed out" and corrected you.

I apologize to you. I'm sorry.

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Fair enough.

But for the record, I'm not telling people in America how it was in America, I'm sharing my opinions based on my many years of collecting information about how it was EVERYWHERE. There are many more posts by me debunking or explaining events in British Beatles history but no one gets upset about that. I guess it is because I'm British. But I can't help that. (I'm Quarter Irish, Quarter Welsh and 1/8 French if that's any help!)

Shaker Steve likes this.
  3. kokishin

kokishin Forum Resident

Empty suit.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It was not my intention to suggest that nostalgia is the only factor in determining a person's preferences, or to suggest that everyone's taste is equally influenced by nostalgia. What I was saying is that some peoples' tastes are powerfully influenced by nostalgia, and the vast majority of people who prefer the reverbed-up versions of Beatles songs are an example of that. But I myself am a counter example... I listened to the Capitol versions for many years before becoming aware of the British versions. Once I did become aware of them, they became my preferred versions, because my aesthetic taste overrode any nostalgic attachment I might have had to what I was used to hearing.

5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

In a thread on the Capitol Albums five years ago, I posted this quote from the pages of Dave Dexter's 1976 autobiography, 'Playback'...

When the Beatles started their second motion picture, Help!, I telephoned young Palmer in London. (Note to the readers here in the forum...he means Tony Palmer) Would there soon be a soundtrack album? He didn't know, he said. I eventually reached Martin, who not only produced records from the booth but sometimes helped sketch their arrangements and played piano on the background tracks behind vocals. Martin had a fast answer.

'No', he said. 'We plan no Help! album because the boys won't be featuring sufficient songs to fill an LP and it's a pity, really. United Artists doesn't have the American rights to the package as the did with A Hard Day's Night.'

So Capitol owned the rights to nothing.

We could issue the songs, of course, as singles. Yet there is a vast difference in two or three hit singles and an album that exceeds one million in sales. Several million dollars difference.

It took at least two months of writing, cabling, and telephoning to acquire two tape reels of the film's soundtrack scraps in my office. There MUST be a way to put together a full album of entertainment from a full-length movie, I told myself. And so I booked one of the two studios in the Tower's basement and, working late at night with one of the country's best sound engineers, John Krauss, we ran through each reel repeatedly on a big Ampex console.

I took notes, a pencil in one hand an a stopwatch in the other. I still have those notes. The indicate there were 36 segments in all, a majority of them brief musical effects and bridges composed by the movie's musical director, Ken Thorne. Much of the music was distorted electronically.

Nor did I have a synopsis of the picture. Someone in England advised me that the story pegged around Ringo's attempt to escape a murderous gang of Asiatic thugs, with the pursuit of the nosey drummer and his three pals encompassing scenes in the Bahamas, Austria, and England's Salisbury Plain. A ten-armed 'Goddess of Kaili' 40 feet tall figured in the plot.

So be it, whatever it was. Working around the seven original songs by Lennon and McCartney (Help!, The Night Before, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, I Need You, Another Girl, Ticket To Ride, and You're Gonna Lose That Girl) by adventurous editing and by employing a number of mechanical tricks, I ended up with enough tracks to fill two 12-inch microgroove sides and justify the album's production as a 'complete original soundtrack' package.

There were snippets of music which I forced to repeat, like a motion picture loop. I even obliged to accept a dreadfully tired performance of the overture to the third act of Richard Wagner's 'Lohengrin' which the musical director Thorne had employed for the scenes shot high in the Austrian alps of Obertauren.

One batch of mish-mosh I entitled The Bitter End. Another mad, up-tempo passage I called The Chase. Two earlier hits, From Me To You and A Hard Day's Night, I spliced together from horrendously distorted tape fragments that sounded like rehearsal warmups and programmed them between the new tunes under the titles From Me To You Fantasy and Another Hard Day's Night. The bombastic Wagner bit I retitled In The Tyrol. On all makeshift selections I was careful to credit Thorne as sole composer.

Capitol, thanks to electronic skullduggery, had 12 tracks for an album. Livingston listened to the finished product the next morning in his Tower office. He was not enthusiastic.

'Is that', has asked, 'all there is?'

But he approved the product well aware of the demand for Beatles product. The last time I looked, sales of the bits-and-pieces Help! album in the United States alone totaled 1,500,000. Another million undoubtedly were sold in Canada, Mexico, and Central America.

So an album that might never have existed was responsible for a gross of more than $5 million. It is still selling today.

For the record, as much as I like the recordings as the Beatles intended they be heard, I love hearing 'She's A Woman' and 'I Feel Fine' awash in Duophonic glory. It reminds me of the Christmas in the mid-60's when my folks gave me a Playtape machine (Google it) with a few of the Beatles Playtape tapes with four cuts each on them. My favorite was the 'Beatles '65' tape with those tracks on it.

The American versions are the memory of Beatlemania here in the States. Those are the ones that stick in the mind of Americans who were there at the time. Those are the records that blew it open for the Beatles in America. What they released in Britain are the originals.

The great thing is that today, we can buy the memory and we can buy the original. And fanatics like myself have both. :)

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Just a friendly, public-service reminder to provincial baby boomers that art and entertainment existed prior to 1964, and that pre-1964 art and entertainment were also important to their respective audiences. :righton:

7. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

Even David Dexter has got soul...

kronning and MrSka57 like this.
  8. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

But is it on the 1 and the 3, or on the 2 and the 4?

illwind64 and ShockControl like this.
  9. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Well put and yes we can have both to enjoy. I love the I Feel Fine/She's A Woman US release which I played constantly on Beatles '65 when I was a teenager in the mid-80's. When I finally heard the UK She's A Woman I was stunned at how weak sounding it was.

10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

A Rubber one, at that, in Stereo.

illwind64 likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

too bad we could not get a Kickstarter campaign to get the Capitol Albums VOLUME 3! with bonus tracks to tie the 3 boxes all together now! SH mastered! or if not...Steven Wilson! If not Ted Jensen!

12. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

What bonus tracks would you put on Capitol's fabulous version of Revolver?

13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Pb. Rain.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  14. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

I got a special version of the US Revolver with three extra tracks, specially selected and programmed by the Beatles themselves, with the songs in true stereo. Got it in early August 1966.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    goodiesguy, MPLRecords and AppleCorp3 like this.
  15. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]

Hear, hear.

God bless Dave Dexter Jr. Creator of the 3 best Beatles albums of the '63-'65 period.

16. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Great, maybe they'll reissue that one in pure analog vinyl form one day soon.

Bill likes this.
  17. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Do you know on which reissue this was replaced?

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  18. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Really?? Listening to it now on the Capitol Years, Vol. 1 and it's swimming in reverb.

19. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I was just thinking back about the Capitol memo specifically dealing with album art, when Dave Dexter indicates that Capitol's artwork is superior to the U.K. artwork. I think he's right as far as what Capitol believed was more appropriate for the U.S. - more "commercial" looking and on par with other contemporary U.S. album art. So how how on earth did this same group of people ever come up with the original Yesterday and Today cover?

Ridin'High and AppleCorp3 like this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

They didn't, really. That was John Lennon's idea, he was the one that pushed for that photo to be used as an album cover. I guess maybe then the question becomes "how was Lennon able to persuade Capitol to use it?"

21. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

The bottom line and the truth of the dexter capitol/parlophone/emi laughable story is quite simply.
    he passed on the beatles for US release when capitol ( by then ) had any/all right(s) of first refusal. which he did.

refuse, i mean.

anything else is re-writing history which never happens in autobiographies :)

anyone else wants to reasonably explain the "beatles on VeeJay"? have at it.

andy slater ( while *briefly* at the 9th fl cap tower ) passed on kylie minogue's biggest stupid US hit too and was all but forced to release it "here". but that pales in comparison LOL.

22. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

These are the same people proposing (from the memos) an entire album of "light" Paul McCartney tunes. But raw meat and baby doll parts are fine... It just strikes me as funny.

goodiesguy, AppleCorp3 and czeskleba like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd feel fine with anything.

24. owsley

owsley Senior Member

This original mix of Beatles '65 with the heavy reverb I'll Be Back was issued by US Capitol up to the 2nd rainbow issue in '83 where a new lacquer was cut but not all pressing plants used it. Some US 2nd rainbow labels have the new lacquer with the drier mixes (and more dead wax) , other plants put the rainbow label on older stampers with the original mix.. In Canada the original Beatles '65 mix was discontinued starting with the '78 Purple label.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    notesfrom likes this.
  25. owsley

owsley Senior Member

The original IBB makes the Capitol Years Vol. 1 mix sound dry in comparison. There's a huge difference between the two.

Larry Geller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.