Upgrading to SACD player in 2019?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nephrodoc, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Been playing with the idea of upgrading from my Onkyo CD player, the entry level C-7030. Don’t have a DAC.

About 90% of the time I listen to vinyl, but still do listen to some CD’s.

Currently don’t have any SACD’s, but am tempted to fill some gaps in my collection.

My setup is 2 channel, with an integrated tube amp. I’m content with my turntable (KAB SL1210) for the moment. My profile is current.
    Future upgrades I was planning are new turntable (possibly VPI Scout) and speakers.

If I do go forward with this, I believe the SACD player would have to output via RCA, and those start at $1K

I’m inclined to just stick with my current setup, but worry about limiting my future music selection.

This forum has always steered me in the right direction, and wanted to get some input.

Thanks

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

You can buy a used Sony SACD-capable player that has (at least) stereo RCA outputs for far less than $1k. To give but one example, I have the 5-disc Sony DVP-NC875V and it's still going strong. I see them up for sale on eBay for <$100.

Jeff

3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I bought only one new release last year. AP Hendrix.

Now I know there are many still enthusiastic about the format, however, SACD is, IMO, nearly dead (no major label is supporting it) and not worth the investment in 2019, unless you are a classical music fan.

4. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

Lots of SACDs available. New ones being released too. Google is your friend, also Amazon and Wabash for used ones.

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Do you know if the music you enjoy are available on SACD? I would recommend taking a look at the database at hraudio.net

HRAudio.net - Music

No point in buying a SACD if the music you want is not available on the format.

Otherwise, Sony is coming out with its second generation universal player, the UBP-X1100ES:

Sony UBP-X1100ES 4K UHD Blu-ray Player With HDR

Its predecessor, the UBP-X1000ES, is still available for about $500 from retailers such as Best Buy, Crutchfield, etc.

Yes, it has analog RCA outputs for stereo hook-ups.

stevef, Sterling1 and cdgenarian like this.
  6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

My ears are burning, sez the Forum Cheapskate.

My opinion will surely receive blowback here. I've got ALL (digital) formats; they're played thru a modest-but-clear-and-neutral system. Though there can be a discernible improvement with hi-res (both DSD and PCM) it often is not a night-and-day difference. In this house there is no discernible difference between DSD and hi-res PCM. The ONLY reason I get them is for better mastering (the real difference-maker), and surround content.

That said, if you have a top-shelf, high-resolving system, your SACD experience may be more profound.

Get one. Another real difference-maker. And you can get a good one – with DSD yet – for well under $1K.

There's nothing to worry about. There are so many hi-res titles released in both DSD and PCM; they would be downloads, mainly.

The only reason I can think of to justify the expense of SACD optical disc playback would be classical music. No doubt there are a ton of titles therein.

It's all about the content in this house.

7. Nephrodoc

Thanks for the input,

I'm not into classical all that much. I have been looking, and do see many SACD titles I would buy from Mofi and AP.

8. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I've been playing SACD for years but would steer people away from it if they aren't already invested in the format. The discs can be pricey and the new stuff is in pidgeon holed genres. You're not going surround so there goes that argument. I don't see much point. Why not get a DAC, tie in a computer and go with Hi rez downloads?

9. Nephrodoc

I have been thinking of going that route as well. I'll look into Hi rez before making any purchases. I don't currently have a computer, just Ipads around the house.

scobb likes this.
  10. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Go for it, but aim as high as possible for a player.

FYI, the better Sony SACD/CD players do a nice job with SACD, but CD leaves a lot to be desired.

formu_la likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

CD and SACD are great on my Denon DCD-1600NE. $1,199.

cdgenarian likes this.
  12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of SACDs. And if this were 5 years ago, I would have said go for it. But today, the SACD market for non-classical releases is dwindling quickly, as are the number of manufacturers of SACD players. So its hard to make that argument now.

So unless classical is your primary genera, I'd look at spending your money on a really good DAC rather than an SACD player today. Then all of your digital media will sound better.

Matt I and gd0 like this.
  13. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Theirs Sony options Pioneer options...also older dvd/sacd players

I just invested in the oppo n a sony ubp x800 last year...im for surround 4.0 n 5.1

Get a Universal player n also do bluray audio...but newer ones use hdmi NOT analogs...im not using sony now cuz no avr w hdmi...use oppo in w old avr

For stereo music i get cds...but i Love QUAD n Surround music

See quadraphonic quad . com

bru87tr likes this.
  14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My solution for SACD playback in 2018 was to buy a Pioneer BDP-80FD blu-ray player that can rip SACDs. That's my SACD playback. I rip the SACD then use the computer as source playback to process and play the rip. I can play the SACD rip to a PCM only DAC or to a DSD capable DAC.

Here's a computer audiophile (now audiophile style) thread on what blu-ray players can be used to rip SACD and how to do it:
    SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

There are some Oppo players that can do it, Pioneer players that can do it, and some Sony players that can do it.

And that's my SACD playback. It works. I can buy SACDs now when I see one I want. Which is super nice. There are some good SACDs available where the masterings are not available as DSD or PCM downloads. And it also means that if I find a SACD I want that happens to be "cheap" compared to the DSD or PCM download I can buy the SACD and rip it myself.

stevef, bru87tr, Claude and 5 others like this.
  15. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Wabash? Can't find anything on it using my search engine (Qwant). Does anyone have a URL? Thanks.

16. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

If the OP is serious about this, I would recommend looking in the used market. I don't think I'd spend a lot on an SACD player if I didn't already own a lot of SACDs. I have a decent but small collection and I finding many new one in the past 10 years has been very limited. Sure MoFi releases them. But with Krieg Wunderlich cutting vinyl, I haven't picked any SACDs over the vinyl counterparts. AP released the Hendrix SACD, which I did buy. And they re-issued Wish You Were Here. I don't really see much coming out other than the DSotM re-issue. Everything else is out of print. I would get a cheap player and find some actual SACD before spending a lot on a high end model. Once you get some SACDs and better understand what you are getting into, I've noticed SACD discs seem to be going up in price. There a still a few bargains out there. But I don't see many.

Wasabi and Nephrodoc like this.
  17. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Duttonvocalion is still making sacd in quad...i just got guess who, poco, rick derringer, pure prairie league

Excellent

Ive also been buying surround music in whatever format i can find including dvda n bluray audio

Many multi channel n stereo sacd s out there used...i only buy multi channel myself

4xoddic likes this.
  18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

This poster knows which hog ate the cabbage. Take his advice.

Nephrodoc and soundboy like this.
  19. Nephrodoc

Thanks for all the input. I'm putting this on hold for now. Ill keep any eye out for a used SACD player to play around with. I think ill try to set up a Computer/DAC in the near future, and go that route.

20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If you want to go the computer/DAC route for SACD you'll want to keep an eye open for the particular blu-ray players that are able to rip SACD. The players that can rip are OOP now. So you'll have to find them on the used market. If you see one at a good price and good condition get it now while the getting is good.

The Computer Audiophile (Audiophile Style) thread I linked to will tell you which models of blu-ray players can rip SACD.

Best Buy still has some used Pioneer BDP-80FD players listed. They're going to be players that they've used in their demo music rooms. So they've likely been playing demo video discs all day for a couple of years. I wouldn't trust that the motor and laser are going to last much longer.

21. Tommythecat42

Tommythecat42 Member

I have SACD's, which I play using my original PS3 (Fat model) and it sounds great. I do use this in a surround sound setup though - and 5.1 surround is the main reason I listen to SACD's. The difference between a stereo CD and stereo SACD is not very noticeable IMO.

Also note that blu ray audio is now a thing, and is basically like a DVD Audio (you may have album art, photo gallery on the tv, etc.) I recently purchased this Rush-A Farewell To Kings-Blu-ray Audio|Acoustic Sounds . in 5.1 blu ray audio - and it sounds great. Has the option to play in DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD - or simply a PCM Stereo. - Also came with a WAV digital download.

If you choose to get into the SACD world, I would recommend finding a blu-ray player/universal (with RCA out in your case) - so you have the option to play both SACD and blu ray audio (maybe even DVD Audio if it supports it).

As for playing SACD ISO's or extracted DSF Files, Foobar2000 for windows PC works great, and will handle multichannel and downmix to stereo if need be. You can straight up buy DSF files online. Or if you so choose, you can Rip an SACD - but like the poster above me states, these are OOP. You can use an PS3 with modified firmware to rip SACD's though. This route could really be a pain, but thought I'd share anyway - Archiving Super Audio CDs (SACDs) With an Old PS3

PhantomStranger, stevef and Sterling1 like this.
  22. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I like this post, I too do not notice much if any difference between CD and Stereo SACD. 5.1 SACD is where it's at.

chili555 likes this.
  23. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

If you're not noticing much of, if any difference between redbook and SACD it's due to the player you're using.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

Even on my $1,200 Denon DCD-1600NE I hear clear and consistent differences.

F1nut and Doctor Fine like this.
  25. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Yamaha AVENTAGE BD-A1060BL Blu-ray Disc Player

$499 on Amazon. It's listed as a Bluray player, but has SACD playback capabilities. It does have RCA's (analog) out on the back panel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.