Elekit TU-8600 or ANK Kit 1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sugar Man, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Itsik

Itsik Forum Resident

Thanks for the info.. I gave in and pulled the trigger on the TU-8600, with upgraded transformers, takman resistors and mundorf SGO (pcX had a pretty good offer on it).
    This project is going to take a while, since I don't even have a place to put the system. (I will have to negotiate with the SO on the future of our guest bedroom :)
    Besides that, I looked into speakers a bit and was able to get my hands on a Frugal-Horn Mk3 flat-pak for Fostex FE126En which I plan to build to pair with the TU-8600.

BTW, have you done any tube rolling or stuck with the Genalex from the beginning?

jonwoody, Sugar Man and JMAC like this.
  2. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

You will LOVE the Elekit. Get it built and hook it up to any speakers lying around and you will be amazed. As far as tube rolling, I ordered some Sophia Princess 300B pseudo-meshies (for their glow) and they sound about the same as the Gold Lion PX-300B's, but sure do look pretty. The Elrogs are supposed to be better but cost over a grand. Victor Kung told me that rolling the driver tubes will make a greater difference on SQ and recommended NO$ Telefunkens, but I haven't gone down that wormhole yet. You might also check with Victor on the volume control because he has a TKD upgrade as well.

I just bi-wired my AN E's with some Canare 4S11 I picked up on the forum here and the SQ went up another level of goodness. Like scary good. Highs got a bit creamier, more inner detail and otherworldly bass.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    jonwoody, Seafinch and JMAC like this.
  3. Sugar Man

The only downside to the Elekit TU-8600 is that it only has one input. I've been pondering adding a Schiit SYS passive pre or an Elekit TU-8500 to get another input, but don't want to mess up the serious mojo I've got going on right now.

4. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

@Sugar Man -- any comments on the headphone amp portion of the Elekit?

5. Sugar Man

Unfortunately, I haven't used it. :shrug:

But here is a review by someone who has.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    JMAC likes this.
  6. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I heard the Elekit amp at a recent Capital AudioFest. The system sounded very good. The US representative was not at the show, but, the Japanese designer and builder was at the show and he is terrific--very generous in sharing experience and insight and very frank about design choices and how cost was kept reasonable. It is reassuring when the people behind a product are good people.

jonwoody, Itsik and Sugar Man like this.
  7. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

My new Elekit 8600 gets shipped out to me tomorrow!

8. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident

Just built my Elekit TU-8600. Always wanted to try a 300B SET amp. The Herb Reichart review moved me into action. I built the upgraded version with the huge Lundahl transformers, Tackman resisters and Mundorf caps. My 300bs are the Genlax Gold Lions. I have built a few kits, Bottlehead and ANK. This is the best designed kit I have seen. Instructions are super clear and easy to follow. It's actually a very easy build. The hard part is that the PC board is quite tightly packed making some solder pads very close to one another. If you are new to soldering, I would watch some Youtube videos and practice beforehand.

Now the most important part. I was very careful as I went. Double checked everything several times and caught some mistakes before it was too late. It fired up right away and even without any break-in time sounded as Herb described. Just mind boggling. I'm driving Devore Gibbon 3XLs, a very highly regarded speaker with 90db efficiency. They never sounded better. Btw, the previous amp was the Audio Note Kit El34 which I really like, But this is heaven.

Am currently solving the single input issue with a REK-O-KUT switch.

9. Sugar Man

Good to hear @Adeep. Mine is sounding phenomenal. Can you give me a link to the switch you are using. I was looking at the Schiit SYS. Any reason you went with the Rek-O-Kut?

10. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident

Sugar Man likes this.
  11. Sugar Man

And no loss in sound quality? I'm kind of amazed that they didn't add another input or two on the TU-8600.

12. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident

If there's a loss of sound quality, my old ears are not able to tell. The standard version of the AudioNote Kit 1 300B only has one input. The selector switch is an option.

13. Asedillo

Asedillo Member

Hi, just wanted to ask if this elekit TU-8600R can drive my current speaker 8ohms 87db? Thanks in advance.

14. Unfortunately the amp to speaker equation can be complex. An 8 ohm speaker may have changes in the load at certain frequency ranges that have serious effects on overall sound & sometimes db ratings are overly optonistic.

Maybe specify the speaker for a an answer based on actual versus theroretical experience with a similar amp.

15. Asedillo

Asedillo Member

Hi 2channelforever, thanks for your reply. Currently I am using AVI DUO loudspeaker and a DIY from Troels Gravesen SBA 941. My other speaker is another DIY from Troels but it is a 4ohm ekta mkII. Thanks again.

16. Hi Asedillo. If no one on the forum helps with your compatibility question you might try Vic at:

ELEKIT TU-8600

He's a very busy fellow & it may take a few emails to sort it but he's really a great guy to work with.

Cheers & Good Luck!

Sugar Man likes this.
  17. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I had to look up the AVI DUO to see if I could find an impedance curve for it. I wasn’t able to, but I did notice the manufacturer recommends an amp with at least 50wpc. Unless you’re in a small room at under 90db, you’re probably barking up the wrong kit. The SBA 941 looks a bit more doable...

Another thing to consider: there are some 300b kit amps that provide more power—the ANK paralleled 300b would double the output for you. Or maybe you could find something that uses the 805 tube?

Good luck!

2channelforever and Sugar Man like this.
  18. Asedillo

Asedillo Member

Hi JMAC and 2channelforever, thanks so much for your reply. This will help me a lot to decide.

19. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

This thread has me excited and thinking I am going to purchase and build a TU-8600... I just started listening to tube amps a year ago after decades of using solid state amplification when I bought an el-84 based amp from KingKo Audio. When a Pacific Creek SE300I single-ended 300B integrated amplifier became available near me, I bought it so I could listen to a 300b with my Altec Lansing speakers. I liked that sound even more and decided I wanted to upgrade to a 300b or 2A3 amp with higher quality parts. The only way I can afford high-quality transformers in a s.e.t. amp is if I build it myself from a kit.
    I was thinking about Bottlehead when I ran back across this thread. I have not listened to a 2A3 amp but I already own a complete set of upgraded tubes that would fit into the Tu-8600, so I am leaning in that direction.
    There is a five part series on YouTube about assembling this amp which is very helpful for someone like me who has not previously assembled a kit.

I have diy expertise in areas other then electronics, with little experience soldering. However, there are a lot of instructional videos, so I bought some practice material from Amazon yesterday and will spend some time learning to solder adequately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Building a set of improved crossovers for my Altec speakers is also on my list of things to do and will probably occur first, while I continue listening to the Separo SE300i... I have enjoyed this thread and hope to contribute in the future.

jonwoody, SandAndGlass and JMAC like this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have an ANK L4 EL34 power amplifier.

It is not the C-core version. But, I will have to say, with nice tubes, an here it is tubes that make the final difference, it has proved an excellent sounding A/B amplifier.

I am using NOS RFT EL34's in it and out of a dozen tube amplifier's that I had, it came in third place, behind a Decware and Line Magnetic single ended amps.

When the source is not completely top shelf (I am talking about the recording itself here), then the difference between it and the single ended amps is not as great as you might think.

21. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I studied those hificollective videos before putting my Elekit together. They are helpful. Also helpful:
    - soldering iron with different tips (some spaces are very tight and need a fine tip, some joints are best served by a wider flat tip)
    - new, not NOS, tubes for testing and running in the amp—you can tube roll later
    - Victor is a phone call away, day or night. He’s amazing.

jonwoody, Sugar Man, Ezd and 2 others like this.
  22. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident

Just thought I'd add this;

Three Cheers for Victor.......

After some birthing issues, There's no doubt that the Elekit TU-8600 is the best audio buy I've ever made.

jonwoody, Sugar Man and JMAC like this.
  23. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

I finished the build of my Elekit TU-8600 about two weeks ago. It was my first amp build and I did it slowly and as meticulously as I could and it turned out great, it worked perfectly from the beginning. I used all the suggested upgrade parts (transformers, resistors, capacitors, volume control) and I already owned quality tubes to install in the amp, my 300b's are Shuguang Black Treasures. It was wonderful to sit and listen to an amp using 300b tubes again, to my ear they are the most musical tube that I have heard, I had been listening to a pair of Fisher 70A monoblocks (6L6 tubes) and a KingKo el-84 amp since selling my first 300b amp and buying the Elekit amplifier kit.
    I cannot say enough positive comments regarding the great design, instructions and support (if needed) from the North American distributor of Elekit; VKMusic.ca owned and operated by Victor Kung...
    Just to give credit where it is due, here is an example of Victor's attention to customers. I bought the amp kit from Parts Connexion and their website clearly listed upgraded resistors in the price I paid. When I received the amplifier kit it included only the basic non-upgraded resistors. Multiple emails I sent to Parts Connexion about the parts discrepancy were simply ignored and no response was ever given by them. So I sent an email on a Sunday to the North American distributor of Elekit Victor Kung and within hours I received a reply, a short-time later I received a phone call on a Sunday directly from Victor following up... Simply incredible customer service.

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Have you tried it with your Altec Lansing Magnificent A7-500-W's?

[​IMG]

jonwoody, Walter Koehler and Ezd like this.
  25. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

The Altecs are the only speakers that I have paired with the Elekit amp at this time, I have become quite fond of their sonic capabilities. Many thanks to you for being a strong proponent of all horn speakers, it was an aspect of audio playback I was late in life getting to, but now thoroughly enjoy...

jonwoody and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.