Deerhunter - New Album January 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralphb, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

The sound of Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared? is beautiful, and it's a great listen on headphones. The production is dense, but not cluttered. The layered keyboards are distinctive, soft and soothing. Piano, Harpsichord, Chamberlin and a variety of synthesizers... this album doesn't sound like anything else, to my ears.

An impressive work.

2. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

They are essential.

Logos is one of my favorite albums. It has actually become a dependable "comfort food" listen for me... it always puts me in a good mood if I can't settle on anything else to listen to. I'm never disappointed or change my mind after I put it on.

It's nice having a modern album like that... I've leaned on The Byrds Turn! Turn! Turn! for over half a century!

3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..." Thread Starter

I know it's early in the year, but this is definitely going to wind up in my top of the pops for 2019, top five easily. There is a flow, a progression in the music from song to song that is so logical and beautifully presented that the albums cumulative power grows stronger as it plays. Just about perfect in my opinion.

fourfeathers and notesofachord like this.
  4. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I was worried about, given Cate Le Bon's presence. I really like her Cyrk album, but her last two albums, while I kinda like, sound really cold and spindly and sterile. But thankfully this one sounds nothing like that.

Guy E likes this.
  5. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

That was the first thing that hit me upon hearing Greenpoint Gothic.

6. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Yep. Noisy, cadaver flesh colored vinyl. Can’t get rid of the incessant pops and ticks on my copy even free two trips around the RCM with two different cleaning regimens.
    More concerning though is how compressed this one is mastered. I *think* I dig the actual music but find it impossible to get into with any kind of depth with such a squashed sound. Drums especially are just crushed sounding.
    Has no one else noticed or been bothered by this?

whitespyder likes this.
  7. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

They've been live-streaming their soundcheck for tonight's show in Chicago on Instagram...fantastic stuff. Not sure who the 13-year old on bass was but he was tremendous.

8. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

A few weeks in and I'm digging this record. Maybe not as much as Fading Frontier and Halcyon Digest, but they are high standards. Going from those two to this kinda reminds me of the Dandy Warhols going from Come Down and Thirteen Tales to Welcome to the Monkey House, going a little more to the New Wave tinged Pop end of the spectrum from a more Rock start.

Some of the melodies on the latest Deerhunter get a little too sweet for my tastes, and maybe the juxtaposition with the at times incredibly dark lyrics, but minor complaints - it's be in my top 10 of the year, for sure.

ralphb likes this.
  9. whitespyder

whitespyder Well-Known Member

Thank you to you both for sharing your opinion on the sound of the LP.

Deerhunter has been my favorite 'new' band for the last +10 years and this LP is a grower. I like what they do now, as much as i liked the white noise band they once were. It's great to have such a diversity and still releasing great albums each time.

I've read somewhere they were looking for that harsh sound on some of the tracks/instruments. So, who knows if this comes from the recording, a weird mastering or just a badly pressed record.

Speaking of that, it appears a lot of people are complaining about a noisy vinyl.
    This explains why i haven't bought the record yet. And, for such a short record, the price is too expensive for my taste (at least in France). I'm afraid i'll have to pass on that release if i don't hear better reviews or if i don't find a cheap copy.

I have the same problem with the newest These New Puritans release: amazing music but crappy gimmicky physical release. I'm getting pissed these days because this situation has never been worse & it's a shame for these bands i'd like to support.

Carter DeVries likes this.
  10. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

Maccaroni and notesofachord like this.
  11. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

Got me my tickets for SF. Looking forward to it.

Lil' Brian likes this.
  12. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I missed the Dallas show due to an incoming baby but a friend told me Bradford was unable to keep it together. He was apparently too drunk to remember his own lyrics.

13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I was hoping these Bad Concerts by him were a thing of the past, as had not heard of such incidences in recent tours/years. I love their Music, but this really turns me off to potentially see them in concert, as not only paying for tickets(although Deerhunter Ticket Prices are low compared to a lot of Concerts by other Music Artists since are at Clubs/Theaters), but it also involves some travel(sometimes adds another $50-$70 for Travel Costs and also Traffic and Time) for me to drive to one of the Major Cities to see most Concerts of Music Artists from the past 10-20 years, who interest me.

14. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Been on a real Deerhunter kick recently,so I decided to explore the side projects by picking up a copy of Parallax by Atlas Sound and WOW talk about a great album!

Just wondering if it's held in high regard,because at the moment it's tied with Fading Frontier for 2nd place behind Halcyon Digest.

I've already ordered a copy of Logos without hearing it first which is rare for me.

To anybody who has heard Logos,is it as strong or better then Parallax?

ralphb and Graham like this.
  15. ralphb

Logos is closer to early Deerhunter and I prefer it by a narrow marign to Parallax, if only for "Quick Canal" , the 8 minute duet with Laetitia Sadier, that is sheer motoric bliss. You would do well to pick up the import of the first Atlas Sound, Let The Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel, as the bonus cd has some beautiful songs. Lockett Pundt also has 2 albums out as Lotus Plaza that are must haves.

Azura, fourfeathers and Exitmusic like this.
  16. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Thanks,I will be certainly try and check those out.

It's pretty crazy how many albums Bradford released between 2007-12, four Deerhunter albums,three Atlas Sound albums plus all the EP's and stuff on his blog,the man was an absolute workhorse!

ralphb likes this.
  17. ralphb

His work ethic is admirable, to be sure. I've been a fan since Cryptograms was released and he/they have yet to disappoint me. I consider them the best band is the U.S. right now.

Exitmusic, fourfeathers and Graham like this.
  18. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

I consider Logos better than Parallax, but judging by what you enjoy by DH and AS, I doubt you'd agree :D. "An Orchid", "Criminals" & "Shelia" are among the best songs BC has written IMO, but Parallax has its share of great ones like "Te Amo" and "Angel Is Broken".

ralphb's mention of Let The Blind reminds me: "Recent Bedroom" could be the best Atlas Sound song there is. I could never really get into the rest of that album or DH's Cryptograms either, however.

I'm a Microcastle/Weird Era fan that appreciates Fading Frontier and about half of Halcyon Digest, though, so not the most popular opinion. Still, one of my favorite artists since 2009 and I wish more were as good. Please let us know what you think when you hear Logos.:)

Azura and ralphb like this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yeah but King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard out out 5 Albums in 1 Year(2017), and several Albums the few years prior and after 2017.

Also, Steven Wilson puts out a lot of Music with his Solo Albums, Blackfield, Bass Communion(and working on a New No Man Album), along with his Remix Projects for several other Music Artists. The Dude must only sleep 4-5 hours per night.

20. TheSeldomSeenKid

Deerhunter is up there with Broken Bells and Grizzly Bear for me. Unfortunately, read that a person here saw another Deerhunter Concert that was bad(still alcohol problems?). That would tick me off if paying Travel Costs on top of Tickets(although Ticket Prices were reasonable for their recent US Tour). I will always buy their Albums though.

ralphb likes this.
  21. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

They are joint first with The National and Beach House for the best U.S band for me.

ralphb likes this.
  22. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Yeah I tend to find Bradford's more ambient/Shoegaze stuff to my liking,but I'll give him his due tho,he always keeps you guessing what's coming next,that the sign of a great artist in my book.

ralphb likes this.
  23. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I've received Logos in the post a few days ago and having listened to it twice now I think I prefer to it Parallax which is amazing considering how much I liked that.

So many highlights on it,the title track,Walkabout and Sheila are all great but Quick Canal is the standout,it could be another 10 minutes for all I care.

This is one album I'm going to be listening to a lot!:righton:

24. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I've checked out Let the Blind on Spotify today,didn't quite knock me over as much as Logos and Parallax but still seemed a pretty decent listen.

25. Azura

Azura Felis silvestris grampia, factum ex trabibus ferro

My thanks also to ralphb and plentyofjamjars67 for their Atlas Sound recommendations. I have only just discovered Deerhunter, ironically through the Cate LeBon connection that someone upthread was concerned about and have been enjoying Micocastles/Weird Era, Halcyon Days and the EP. (I also got the new one on CD due to the comments here, I prefer vinyl but the quality of new pressings is driving me into thhe armsd of CD all too often.) Based on liking what I have heard so far I took up the Atlas Sound recommendations and scooped the first two for almost nothing. Only heard Logos so far and liking it very much too.

Reading Kristin Hersh's Ratgirl and reflecting on Ivo's first contacts with the band and saying how much he loved them but he only signed British bands. In the few years I was away form Rock music something seems to have changed and now he only signs American ones...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.