New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So....answer

What ever makes you happy and the vinyl clean.

2. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

may I ask if anyone has weighed the uhqr with the box? a friend of mine ordered 2 stereos and 1 mono and the weight is slightly over 12 pounds according to fedex tracking

simonux likes this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Hmm...how long would you say it takes to clean one disc?

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm feeling guilty now. Looks like my liking for the Classic has been vindicated but prices have gone up due to this forum.

The Beave and tubesandvinyl like this.
  5. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

The market will ultimately decide where the price should be. Consider it to be like good stock market news. There coukd be bad news in the future that drive prices the other way. IE people lose interest in Mono. Or Over time opinions/reviews may balance or trend in the other direction. Or the market could get flooded
    With another vinyl release just as good or better. Because the Classic is OOP certain collectors may want it just because of that. I also think initial reviews tend to provide unconscious bias to others but over time this balances out. This is why I always welcome contrarian reviews. Based on current reviews (I haven’t compared the 2 monos myself yet) I would say many are highlighting what owners of the Classic already knew aka it is a great pressing and that feelings are mixed with how it compares
    to a new premium release.

sonofjim, Gordon Johnson and scotti like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Really good feedback/comments from you on the mono! May I ask your opinion...If you have the type of system that you can really dial your bass/bottom end up, which might be the better choice here or would they both be winners? I still enjoy mono to breathe a bit, makes it more realistic sounding to my ears...

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Great info....thank you!

sonofjim likes this.
  8. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

I clean every record before first play. Always.

For my UHQR I did my “minimal” routine which is AIVS #6 with a Listener Select brush on an Okki Nokki RCM. No scrubbing or agitation. No dwell time. Just applied and let the record spin in each direction against the light pressure of the brush for several rotations.
    Zerostat coming of the RCM and straight to play. Quiet as a church mouse.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would quit vinyl if I had to endure this process for cleaning my records.

10. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

yes, it seems excessive especially for new vinyl.
    I suppose collecting vinyl encourages fetishes and rituals,

and definately obsessions.

ODShowtime likes this.
  11. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I have that one too and while I'm perfectly happy with it, people say there's a pretty significant difference between that and the Classic.

12. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Also, my October 2018 order has finally moved out of Backordered status so it looks like they are getting close to shipping it.

ODShowtime likes this.
  13. attym

attym Forum Resident

Before this release, I thought the Classic Mono was universally regarded as very special.

14. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Appears to still be regarded as very special, according to all the reviews here. Glad that I have both the Classic and the AP UHQR (no need to choose and no need to whittle my archive down to just one.)

15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

My August 2018 order changed to Q today.

One nice thing about this release is it's apparently shaking out old copies. I have very, very rarely ever seen vintage copies of this lp in the wild. I finally found a two-tone this week for a great price. And it made me realize that the 70s German Polydor I picked up as my vintage player awhile back is the alternate stereo mix. Very easy to tell at the beginning of side 2. Good times.

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

It can shake all it wants, but I for one am not unloading any of my early originals, this is Jimi we are talking about here! Congrats to you though, sure is cool running across what you just got.

ODShowtime likes this.
  17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Given how long it’s been OOP I’m a little surprised at how low the Classic has been selling for up to this point. If the Zeppelin titles were going that low I’d have bought up the ones I missed by now.

Whether it’s ultimately seen by the majority as the king of the monos or not it’s worthy of what anyone’s willing to pay.

18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Again, I think it suffered most for being the Mono Mix and also from bad press on the QC of the Classic 200 Gram LPs. I nver understood either of these positions as I love the mono mix and I have rarely encountered problems with any 200 Gram Classics.

The Beave, ssmith3046 and sonofjim like this.
  19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

You're routine is my standard routine for cleaning, Okki Nokki plus AIVS #6. Fast, easy, and effective.

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I should have added that Classic Records 'Band Of Gypsys' is another killer quality pressing. LZ prices are inflated by the general high price of any LZ pressing. Maybe they are more widely known about.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  21. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Same, the seventeen or so mono / stereos on vinyl here ain't going anywhere.

Pre any announcement of the mono UHQRs there was very little love let alone demand for the mono ABAL. Funny how the woodwork empties out on a limited pressing!

Experiencereunited and scotti like this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

As I said, the UHQR might be the ticket for such a system. It’s another reason why I used the “flat master” analogy earlier. If you can season to taste (and to be honest most people and systems do a lousy job of this, IMO, even though most people don’t realize it), then the UHQR might be the ticket.

But as of now neither is cheap - or getting cheaper.

scotti likes this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes. Clean every record before playing.

Next question.

ODShowtime likes this.
  24. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Actually, looks like the Mono is going to dip from where it was now that inventory has increased. That, and the fact that the UHQR isn't a clear winner versus the Classic mono.

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Appreciate your feedback. I am fortunate the way I have my system dialed in and it "seasons to taste" very nicely (all though most of the time I can just leave it the way it's set). It took upgraded cables and such, but at least to my ears it sounds great, not what others have mind you, but since I did not go to crazy I can still get a lot of the vinyl that I desire...thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.