Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

And yet we keep on chasing the dragon.

2. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I haven’t yet been able to bring myself to the white jackets yet, but I’m getting close.

YEX 750-1 likes this.
  3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

You imply that every record had these issues. Not the case. As long as MFSL honors any defect issues, this is not an issue. Now if you open a sealed lp from MFSL 40 years from now and find a defect, yes, you are out of luck. Really, how many people do that? Sure, there are still sealed original UHQRs from the early 80s, but I bet no one is opening them up. No one is going to buy a sealed UHQR of Dark Side of the Moon and open it! lol. Not for many years. The value would go right out the window. Pretty much, all those that are going to play them, open them, and the few defects are honored. What's the alternative to not "chasing the dragon?" Who else besides AP is releasing outstanding remastered versions that actually surpasses (finally) the original in many respects. I, for one, will take the chance on hearing these classics presented in the best possible light.

4. I know, the numbers are that good :righton:

5. We should stop buying new cars, trucks, SUV's etc. They have unknown defects and will be recalled. Even though the dealership doesn't charge to replace the recalled defect, it's still uncalled for and total BS.

6. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

Personally, I don't get all the fuss over the scuffed sleeves. Every one of the one-steps I've gotten (all of them except SRV) have been scuffed to some degree. While it is slightly annoying, since as others have pointed out a simple paper insert would resolve the issue, my reason for making the purchase in the first place is the music and not the packaging. So far the only imperfections I've had with the discs themselves is one tight spindle hole (Fagen) and on the Evens a small spot of non-fill on Side A, track two that is inaudible.

So yes, MFSL could do a better job with the presentation, but for me the music is what matters and I'm perfectly happy with their performance when it comes to that. As always, YMMV.

Clucking likes this.
  7. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Agree that the music is the most important part. But they're putting out these releases as deluxe sets with thick fancy boxes, thick glossy sleeves, cover reproduction photos, sometimes extra photos as well. So you're paying for the presentation and extras, in addition to the music. They wouldn't charge $100 and now $125 if it were just a normal gatefold.

So if you're paying a premium for all the extra stuff, even if many would prefer to pay $25 less and get a normal gatefold, you kind of feel like everything should be in tip top shape at that price.

ellingtonic, Jimijam, AnalogJ and 5 others like this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's true that MOFI and Music Direct honors any defect issues. But that's in a timeframe when LPs and sleeves are still available. It's also only for the original buyer and not for someone buying a sealed set from a reseller or the original buyer. I bought sealed copies of Sunday at The Village Vanguard, The Nightfly, Bridge Over Troubled Water and What's Going On from resellers. So if and when I open these One-Step LP sets and there's issues I'm screwed. I would have not bought these sets if I knew that there was a possibility of issues. I'm not talking about LP (scratches, warped etc.) issues but ones with scratched sleeves and incorrect LPs.

I bought these One-Step sets with an eye on collecting them as well as playing them when I get a decent turntable and cartridge. I'm at the point of just selling them all to try to get my money back. I understand why some are defending MOFI for producing excellent products and great service. There's no question of that in my experiences of dealing with MOFI and MFSL for decades. It's about the serious quality control issues with MOFI's current premier product. There's no denying that an I don't understand why some don't understand that.
    For $125 each I want a product that has no issues with artwork. That's not too much to ask IMO. MOFI has had ample time to correct that very simple issue. They have declined to do that. That in itself shows their lack of concern for their current premier product. Unacceptable!
    Apparently you're not getting the point here. That's clear by posting this vehicle comparison that's not even remotely close to the situation at hand IMO. If I know a specific high end vehicle has known issues and recalls I wouldn't buy that vehicle. It's that simple.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Slick Willie, CBackley and ti-triodes like this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

If you're a Scott LaFaro fan, the MOFI beats the AP, in my opinion. Much more taut and articulate bass.

10. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I do understand your point. Have you called MD to complain? What have they said as far as getting to the "root" of the issue? What are they doing to ensure it doesn't happen again? My first and only issue has been with 1 problem out of 3 One Steps. I have slight marks on the back of the black sleeve 1 and front of sleeve 2. Not enough to warrant going through any replacement. Of course, you have the right to vote with your pocketbook. You're hoping that "not buying" any further releases will send a loud and clear message to MOFI. While that may work for many products, I don't believe it will do a thing in this case, as these sell out so quickly. Certainly, that's more than likely behind MFSL not putting their foot down and changing packaging companies, etc.. The product is selling like hot cakes, even with the known and publicized defects. They will honor any issues today, but MFSL is not going to care about the flipper or collector who may get stuck in the future. Business is just too good.

TheVillageRecorder likes this.
  11. emailists

emailists Forum Resident

Just opened my Bill Evans PIJ. Anyone care to venture what this is ? I also have scratched sleeves. Haven’t played yet to see any other issues. #568

[​IMG]

CBackley and Oliver Meyer like this.
  12. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Anyone else had issues with the quality of the discs?
    Mine arrived today heavy with static. It was difficult to separate the sleeve to remove the vinyl. It was loaded with debris which I think scratched it when I removed it from the sleeve.
    The first disc was warped. The second massively off center. Also had something white embedded in the vinyl.
    So disappointed

CBackley and NorthNY Mark like this.
  13. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I had something similar

14. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Have only listened to the first disc so far, but it is dish warped, with crazy static and debris. I'm not one who normally wet cleans new vinyl, but had no choice in this case. The static problem seems to be an issue with the new vinyl formulation, and frankly I hope they decide it was a noble but failed experiment and go back to the previous vinyl formulation.

Now you have me worried about that second disc!

15. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Looks like cave art. Maybe you have a really, really old pressing? :)

I'm worried as I just got notice mine is being shipped today from MoFi directly, and the early reports are sounding like the RSD 2019 BOTT Test Pressing.

CBackley likes this.
  16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

RTI has been inconsistent for many years! Why does mofi keep using them???

My pij better be perfect when it arrives...

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'll be calling Music Direct to get an RMA for the Portrait In Jazz One-Step (unopened) and to cancel all of the preorders for future releases. My point isn't to send a message it's just that I'm not spending big money for flawed products.

What would it matter what Music Direct or MOFI says? It's obvious that MOFI is not listening as quality control continues to be an issue. It also doesn't matter if the One-Step line is selling like "hot cakes" or not. There's still an issue with quality control that is most likely costing MOFI for returns and replacement sleeves and LPs. Just look at the most recent posts from those that bought the Portrait In Jazz One-Step LPs. If that doesn't show serious quality control issues I don't know what does. Business might be good now but if the quality control issues continue maybe in the future it might not be.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  18. Another day and the same story. MoFi release another definitive album and instead of talking sound we have endless pages of complaining. QC is never perfect; especially with vinyl.

I understand that it’s a pretty egregious error, but no point in beating a horse that’s been dead so long that it’s nothing but a skeleton.

Oh well, at least I should get a few numbers lower on my preorder copies. :cool:

Someone let me know when this thread turns back towards the sound. Mine will get its first spin this weekend

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I believe that is a special proprietary MFSL quality control checkmark. Once they have examined the vinyl to make sure it looks good, they check it as shown to provide proof that it passed their strict QC.

CBackley and MrRom92 like this.
  20. Gabe Walters

It's the best Portrait in Jazz readily available on vinyl. Beats the AP, beats the OJC. IMO.

The issue with the AP is that the bass is wooly and ill defined. That's not what I want from a Scott LaFaro recording. He's so precise and fast, and in this trio setting, his bass is practically another lead instrument. That's really the point of the Bill Evans Trio, which redefined what a piano trio does. You get all that communication between, and intention of, the musicians on the MOFI.

Of course, the AP is long out of print as a standalone release, and only available now as part of the 11-title, 22-slab-double-45-rpm box set. I have that set, which I got during a rare 20% off sale that applied. The regular price on that is $600. For 1/5 the price, you get 1/11 the content from the MOFI one-step. (Add another $100, when it was available, and you get Sunday at the Village Vanguard from MOFI for 2/11 the content of the AP box set for a little more than 1/3 the price.)

The thing is, even owning the AP box set, I still believe these MOFI one-step Bill Evans releases are worth it. They get the sound of Scott LaFaro's bass so right, and that sound is so compelling, that I'll be listening to these instead of the APs. Of course, I have Bill Evans' other Riverside titles to listen to from the AP box, but MOFI can keep going with Bill Evans as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad Waltz for Debby didn't pan out.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I haven't been following that closely, but it certainly seems like for $125 a pop the QC should be significantly better.

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Do you recall who did the re-mastering on the Bill Evans 45's by AP?

23. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

That will more than likely affect play.

I had something similar that seemed melted into one side of a Music On Vinyl Miles Davis set and never got a replacement... I ended up trashing the release all together.

Id test it more than likely it will skip badly and best to notify MoFi immediately.

24. Gabe Walters

Hoffman/Gray

John D. likes this.
  25. Grilledchesse

Grilledchesse Well-Known Member

I had no idea that MoFi tried this process with Waltz for Debby. It's my favorite album from Evans. Is there another thread or article that explains why it didn't work?

With all these QC issues, I might just settle for an OJC.