Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

I did no such thing.

2. stevos47

stevos47 Well-Known Member

Have you played yours yet and is it SRV and Bill Evans?

SoundDoctor likes this.
  3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

There’s nothing wrong with the OJC. But forums like this tend to overemphasize defects.

MOFI had announced Waltz for Debby would be a one-step title during an audio show. I don’t know if we ever got definitive answers, but I recall reading that the tape was damaged, I think.

4. I don’t disagree. But MD/MoFi have fixed every single issue with out hassle. Compare that to say, Music Matters, which may have less known issues but are on record with very spotty customer service. Some of the MMJ customer service issues reported in the MMJ thread and experienced by myself are ridiculous and at points unacceptable IMO.

It’s never going to be 100% perfect. If the chance of a defect keeps one from purchasing a definitive version of an album that will continue to grow in value, that’s their prerogative. It won’t deter me though, and I’m sure MD will have no problem selling the titles.

5. Grilledchesse

Grilledchesse Well-Known Member

Thank you.

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

7. Jemspeed

Jemspeed Well-Known Member

Still can’t wait for mine to ship.

FashionBoy likes this.
  8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

The vinyl does have a lot of static, but it is so quiet. mine (#317), was flat. However, I do use a record clamp which flattens the vinyl to my platter.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  9. Yes, we all get your point. You keep stating the same thing over and over. So what label do you work for as its apparent you're just trying to turn people off on MoFi. Or is that you're hoping drive prices down so you can stock up?

10. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yours might not be flawed. You didn't even open it. I don't see how you benefit by staying away from some of the best sounding records to have ever been produced.

FashionBoy likes this.
  11. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Yeah, I've never had a problem with the standard vinyl formula being noisy, unless damaged in some way--though I usually listen at relatively low volumes. Some people may appreciate the benefits of the new formula, but they are wasted on me, and the static is so extreme that I'd actually pay more for the same mastering on standard vinyl (especially if it turns out this formula is more prone to warpage, as I've never noticed this much of a dish warp before in nearly a decade of vinyl collecting).

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You quote my posts so I respond to those posts. I'm in the rail industry. So I'm not affiliated with any music/record label. Maybe you missed parts of my earlier posts where I praised MOFI for their products I've bought over the years. I own 100s of MOFI's Gold CDs and SACDs. Funny how some cherry pick ones posts ;).
    True that there might not be any flaws. But once opened and there are flaws one has to deal with waiting for replacement sleeves/LPs. Not my idea of a good time with a premier product. I'd rather just return the unopened Portrait In Jazz set and give someone else a chance to get the set for list price. The benefit is not having to deal with possible issues. I have no problem paying $125 for the One-Step sets. But I expect that there are no issues from a premier product. Unfortunately that's not true.

CBackley likes this.
  13. No, I've tracked the whole thread, but lately you've just been 'derailing' MoFi over and over like a bad order refer car.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

So one can only state their opinion in this thread as long as it's positive? Nice play on the railroad jargon but it'd be a "reefer car" not "refer car" ;).

Refrigerator car - Wikipedia

ti-triodes likes this.
  15. No, you can state any opinion you like, but to keep stating the same thing over and over and over, it's pretty much in the ground now.

I see you also spell check too, a real talent. You must be a number grabber.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd let it go but you keep saying I'm stating the same thing over and over again. You're basically doing the same thing you say I'm doing over and over again ;).

Nope. Work in the mechanical world. Just thought you'd like the correct reference, I guess not. Some don't mind being corrected but some don't I guess.

17. Ah, a nut splitter or maintenance in the way. Good union jobs.

Have you ordered a UHQR Hendrix? Why not keep your orders in place with MoFi, you can return the defective ones within a reasonable time frame.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No, those guys work hard and really earn their money and are vital to any RR operation. I'm a locomotive mechanic (machinist) and now a remote trouble shooter. It's been an excellent career spanning over 40 years. Definitely an excellent union environment. My apologies as this is totally off topic. I'll fade into the background.

No I haven't as I'm not a huge Hendrix fan. I'm sure the UHQR will be an excellent sounding LP!

19. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Like I mentioned. I’ve returned/exchanged a total of zero of mine and I’m pretty sure they've all had scuffed sleeves. But for an issue that’s bothering so many of their customers, there seem to be easy fixes. And the big box for two records is kind of dumb, IMO and distracts me from enjoying the music. It’s a pain in the ass and not relaxing. But it is what it is and that’s one of the reasons why we pay such a premium for these. So I say, Mofi, if you’re gonna do a lavish box, then please, do it right.

20. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

I know some people are preferring AP's UHQR box relative to the Mofi One-Steps... I agree with their points on the ease of access and the inclusion of the gatefold sleeve, but I personally prefer the outer aesthetic of the One-Step boxes. The gold band across the top, the typography, it feels more timeless and classy than the AP design.

That said- the box, being totally unnecessary when a nice gatefold would do, could be about half as thick as it is without really altering the design. The other Mofi boxes (Rickie Lee Jones, Kind of Blue, etc) are just as unnecessary and annoying to open but are much sleeker and hold the same volume of actual content, not counting foam. Blonde on Blonde even holds 3 LPs in that smaller box.

21. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I think you should give one of the One Steps a shot and then make a decision. Maybe you could crack the Bill Evans Village Vanguard open and have a listen on someone's turntable and see what you think? I don't recall any major issues with that pressing perhaps because they were doing lower quantities at the time. I hate to see excitement diminished over these because of the problems, as the sound has been spectacular on the 4 I've heard thus far — waiting on PIJ delivery tomorrow.

SoundDoctor, Dmann201 and Bill Mac like this.
  22. FashionBoy

Well said & totally agree. Love the typography and the gold foil treatment/general design aesthetic of the MoFi box vs. the AP.

YEX 750-1 likes this.
  23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

As one who got burned by the Dylan RSD non-fill issue, I really want the BOTT One-Step to not be flawed. Fingers crossed. Eek.

24. FashionBoy

You should be okay. Also I believe they still have replacement discs (don't quote me!).

25. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The One-Steps have blown all other pressings out of the water so often that it's now just taken for granted. All that's left to discuss are the pressing and packaging flaws.

I've noticed some of the hardcore audio reviewers have taken a pass on this one. AnalogJ - where are you? I know you've purchased this.

FashionBoy likes this.