New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I really like "Wrecking Ball" and "High Hopes".

DesertHermit and Bossyman like this.
  2. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Neil even covered Bruce and it didn't help! That was one of the Neil albums I passed on. But his release of albums is so prolific that it's easy to skip a few NY albums and hope for the best.

3. Python

Python Forum Resident

Just pulling from my iTunes, album rating based on the average of my individual song ratings:

Human Touch - 2/5
    Lucky Town - 4/5
    Joad - 2/5
    Rising 3/5
    D&D 2/5
    Magic 4/5
    WOAD 3/5
    Wrecking Ball 2/5
    High Hopes 2/5
    American Beauty 1/5

In looking at these, some surprise me; if you ask me offhand, I'd say I don't really like The Rising or WOAD, as they each have some cringe-inducing terrible songs ("Waiting On A Sunny Day," "Mary's Place," "Let's Be Friends," "Queen Of The Supermarket," "Surprise, Surprise") but I guess those are balanced enough by the really good songs that made it on ("Nothing Man," "Empty Sky," "What Love Can Do," "Life Itself," "Last Carnival").

Personally, I think Wrecking Ball is mostly awful (and talk about cringe-inducing--"Rocky Ground" is so bad), yet it has one of his greatest songs, "Wrecking Ball" itself. I think High Hopes largely stinks, yet I really like "Down In The Hole" and "The Wall." And American Beauty may be the only album (that I've rated, at least) with a collective one-star rating, though it is only a four-song EP.

Just one fan's opinion...I'm cautiously optimistic about the new one, though that's based solely on how much I like the first single, so I could still very easily disappoint. We shall see...

4. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

"Gimme a second, Clinch. Had too much coffee."

[​IMG]

5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I think Rocky Ground is really good. I like Wrecking Ball more than the average fan it seems.

jsb! and johnny 99 like this.
  6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Well then, I'm a Welsh cousin of yours. It's perfectly fine to knock anything that he does, but some are intent to knock everything he does, somehow he appears to have done them wrong.

And they repeat themselves a lot, say things over and over again, endless repetition,go on and on repeatedly ....

7. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I honestly completely forgot he released that EP.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  8. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I completely agree. New Dylan or Springsteen is a highlight for me along with a new Son Volt or Wilco. As long as Springsteen or Dylan keep making music I’m buying!

johnny 99, Bossyman and Tjazz like this.
  9. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Its also a perfect example of why Springsteen enjoys and celebrates his Italian roots more than his Irish ones.
    The Italian side celebrated life and family, the Irish side was depressed, sullen, and beaten down dwelling on the negativity of life.
    You're spot on.

10. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

its not that hes not as good as he was back in the 70s and 80s, its that hes been holding bad since.
    if all of the new album has the Hello Sunshine vibe then im probably going to like this record, more so than any album since I dont know when.

J_D__ and JoeF. like this.
  11. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

[QUOTE
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Nice boots. :cool:

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  12. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Am I correct in thinking that John Wayne couldn't ride a horse? And is the quite large U.S. Country Music Industry still populated solely by singing cowboys and cowgirls or cow-persons? I always thought it was a style of music with associated imaging?

13. OptimisticGoat

Nice boots. :cool:[/QUOTE]
    He's being sun-safe.

14. OptimisticGoat

I am just glad he has never tried to put out Darkness Mark II or The River Mark II. He has had the good sense to move on and try to grow. Happy to agree that its hit and miss but at least he is not the caricature of himself you seem to want him to be. I also doubt you will ever acknowledge that WS is great (if it is). It would undermine so much of what you have posted. Having said that, you know your stuff and give some really good insights. Keep it coming...

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Mfj55 and Dr. Zoom like this.
  15. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Human Touch - 2/5
    Lucky Town - 2/5
    Joad - 3/5
    Rising 3/5
    D&D 1/5
    Magic 2/5
    WOAD 3/5
    Wrecking Ball 2/5
    High Hopes 1/5
    American Beauty 1/5

16. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

Hysterical.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  17. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

In my opinion "Life Itself" is a small masterpiece, I really love this song.

jsb!, robcar, Daryl M and 2 others like this.
  18. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

So that’s why he loves a lonely town, with empty streets and no one around.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  19. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

That could be true about John Wayne, I’m not sure.
    The US country music industry nowadays is populated mainly by guys with tattoos singing about the joys of riding around in pickup trucks,drinking beer and eating fried chicken. I suspect most of them have never been on a horse.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  20. INSW

INSW Senior Member

So John Wayne couldn't ride a horse except for the ones in the movies and on his personal ranch?

J_D__, RSteven, DavidD and 1 other person like this.
  21. OptimisticGoat

Happy to be pictured in a Stetson with a pick up and a horse in the background though? So authentic!

22. OptimisticGoat

You tell me. He apparently played a mean cowboy though?

23. INSW

INSW Senior Member

There's literally a hundred hours of video, public and private, of the guy riding a horse.

24. OptimisticGoat

Look - somehow only Springsteen gets lambasted for being wealthy as a result of how well he has identified with mainstream USA. It is not hypocritical to empathise with a character or fictionalise a character when writing a song, book or film. So many examples of that. I grew up working class.
    Much of what he writes about rings true.
    Cheers

Girlpower, keyse1 and graveyardboots like this.
  25. OptimisticGoat

So he was a cowboy? Or was that 30+
    years of film?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.