Worst Edit you've ever heard...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Apollo C. Vermouth, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That's an edit which is no shorter than the album version. There's two extra bars of instrumental after the " look out, look out, look out, look out" bit.

goodiesguy and Rick Bartlett like this.
  2. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

The cringeworthy single edit of 'Song For America' by Kansas. Cut from 10:03 to 2:59 :crazy:

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Steppenwolf - Monster. It's a long song that tells a story, but the heavily edited 45 has parts out of sequence that ruin the flow. The absolute worst.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The single edit of Song for America by Kansas is just abysmal.

That first edit at around 10 seconds should be taught in engineering classes as an example of what not to do.

Demolition Man and jdicarlo like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Some of the worst edits I've ever heard, were end-credits themes on television shows in the 1960's & '70s. I don't know what it was about network broadcasts that assumed nobody cared once you got to the tail-end of the show, but if there were credits rolling, there were ham-fisted guys with razor blades and splice blocks out there, who couldn't count four bars if you bought 'em a round for their birthdays. And I'm not talkin' about syndication (although that opened the doors for some atrocious editing too), I'm talking about full-blown, prime-time, direct-from-the-net hackery.

I gew up in a small market, but we got our net feeds directly from Ohio, like everybody else in the state of Indiana did.

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Nothing tops "House Of The Rising Sun". IIRC Mickie Most convinced the label in the UK (EMI?) to release the single unedited, but MGM in America wouldn't be swayed and put this atrocity out. Skip to 1:40 and brace yourself:

mcwlod, goodiesguy, Ludger and 8 others like this.
  8. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Send My Love To Linda from the Hendrix Both Sides Of The Sky CD where it goes from solo to band version. Makes edits done in the past on other Hendrix projects by people like Alan Douglas and Ed Chalpin seem smooth as silk.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Can't say iam shocked.

10. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

If you're speaking of the mono version, it's to cover tape damage caused by the evening cleaning crew. They should have remixed it instead IMO

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Certainly not the worst, but it has always bugged me how the narrator's loop at 1:14 doesn't say the full word.... "Eldorad, Eldorad, Eldorad, Eldorad, Eldorad,"

jdicarlo, urasam2 and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Yeah, but at least there's the unedited version on the 2 disc Live At the Fillmore set, so I've heard the unedited version enough - I've never heard the unedited version of "Message of Love" or "Power of Soul" - that "Power of Soul" one is pretty bad, too, the one right before the "jellyfish" line...

13. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

Shout on Anthology 1...

14. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

The version on Live At The Fillmore is edited as well. The complete version with mostly Buddy vamping goes on for at least 16 or 17 minutes.

15. The irony was it wasn't needed. It's not like the longer version (or at least most of it) wouldn't have fit just fine on a 45. Yes, it represented the radio version but...so what?

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. TheSixthBeatle

TheSixthBeatle Quae nocent, saepe docent

Chicago’s Mississippi Delta City Blues, at about nine seconds. I’m sure somebody loves it, but it makes zero sense to me.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

True, I don't think the whole song would fit on a single at 45 without losing volume and power, but it didn't have to be that short. 6 minutes could have been done easily.

Having said that, MacArthur Park was very long a couple of years earlier.

18. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

If you are referring to mastering engineer Wally Traugott - I am pretty sure that he wouldn't have done the editing.

19. woosh1956

woosh1956 Forum Resident

Dave Brubeck Quartet "Let's get away from it all" from the LP Angel Eyes (Columbia CS 9148). After Paul Desmond's solo, Dave's comes in abruptly at what seems like an even faster tempo. I wonder if the respective original takes were really so bad that they needed to do that.

20. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

It does, although it overlaps with the echo. His 'o' is in the right channel and the first echo starts just at that moment in the left. He does say it, but very soflty.

eclecticfiend and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

The original album version of Drad Dog from Miles Davis’ wonderful Someday My Prince Will Come album. A truly superb tack with a solo inexplicably hacked out so crudely it sounds like the record jumps and then lands again at a different tempo! The current CD thankfully restores it to its correct length. It is just so much better and flows perfectly, the tempo/dynamic lift feeling just right. I have no idea why the edit was originally deemed necessary.

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

In my opinion that one works really well, actually.

23. JCade821

JCade821 Well-Known Member

Vinnie Vincent Invasion Love Kills. Right after the guitar solo there's a part about dying embers etc. but the single edits it out completely. Strangely the single version is what was put on the 2000 reissue of All Systems Go. Perhaps not the worst edit out there, but it's jarring after hearing the 1988 album version for a long time.

Stutter '78 single and the cutting up of Ace's guitar solo. The guitar solo in Strutter '78 is the best thing about that remix IMO.

24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"Darlin'" by The Beach Boys comes to mind.

25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If they didn't do those edits, the CD would've been too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.