New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

At 8x the price though. The UHQR is appreciably better in most ways but 2010 is still a very nice record.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Thank you on Led Zep III. I’ve been saying for years it doesn’t sound right at all and is the worst of the Classic Zeps (except maybe LZII which I don’t have but ears I trust say it’s wrong too).

I don’t prefer the more “flat, natural” sound of the Axis mono UHQR, but I completely understand what you hear and where you’re coming from.

Slick Willie likes this.
  3. Barrybotton

Barrybotton Well-Known Member

My Mono arrived today would love to keep but for 499 the sale was too tempting. Got one more copy on its way next week, should it stay or should it go...

4. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I ordered the stereo UHQR Axis Bold as Love in April 2018, and received it yesterday, I played it last night. It was worth the wait. Here's some of my observations:

1. The imaging on the UHQR stereo is amazing. Extremely wide -- projecting past the speakers on both sides -- with the vocals and instruments projected with extraordinary solidity in holographic 3-D. The sounds in the first cut do not just move from side to side, they swirl in an oval on the horizontal plane. IMPORTANT NOTE: The UHQR Clarity vinyl is quite thick. Mine weighs in at 208 grams. You must adjust your VTA to experience the imaging of which this recording is capable. Also, this record will seem bass-heavy if the VTA is not properly set.

2. This recording just sounds "right." I don't mean this in the sense that it sounds like any other version of ABAL with which I am familiar, but rather that the vocals, the lead guitar, the bass and the drums all sound real, solid, balanced and clearly enunciated (though more so on some tracks than on others because there is some significant differences in SQ from track to track). The tone is "spot on" throughout, and the dynamics are good. The bass is deep and tight (but not super deep) and the drums sound like drums (but do not have extraordinary slam). Unlike a lot of Hendrix recordings, the UHQR stereo truly lets you hear and appreciate the bass and drums, in addition to Jimi's vocals and guitar. Jimi's vocals are a real treat because the tone is perfect and he is projected so holographically -- and almost never in the middle of the soundstage.

3. I really didn't think that ABAL could sound this good. The AP guys have done an amazing job of getting all there is to get out of this master. A very impressive debut. I know that Aqualung is next, but I would love to hear the other two Hendrix studio albums with this treatment.

I have an Experience Hendrix 180g stereo version of ABAL from around 2003. It sounds narrow, dull and muddy compared to the UHQR. Not a close call.

Twinsfan007, rxcory, pinkrudy and 3 others like this.
  5. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to reading your comparison. I found two needledrops each by a different ripper, I'm just giving a quick somparison to that prof. stoned needledrop of the 2010 US pressing at the moment. Apparently the EU pressings by Music on Vinyl didn't use the same metal parts from Sterling Sound and instead cut their own, the ripper noted that the MoV's are significantly less stunning.

It sounds like there's some sibilance on Up From The Skies @2:04 "so where do I purchase my ticket", the Ss sound a lot more crunchy than on the 2010 where the Ss are more clean. I've also noticed this on Castles Made Of Sand, especially during the first hook and now again on One Rainy Wish @0:56 "sleeping so peacefully". I'm also hearing some distortion on Bold As Love @0:23, some buzzing noise in the left channel during "turquoise armies". All of this appears on both UHQR needledrops I have and not on the 2010 LP.

I'm preferring the 2010's If 6 Was 9, the UHQR's sounds muddier and the symbals sound darker and less realistic. She's So Fine and Little Miss Lover on the UHQR sound like they're lacking bass, as so some other tracks although no as clearly. I thought this would be a clear winner for the UHQR but from my ears and these two rips, It doesn't seem to be so.

gear used for the UHQR needledrops
    https://ptpimg.me/59cen4.png
    https://ptpimg.me/q6j9l7.png
    and for the 2010 LP
    https://ptpimg.me/797yo6.png

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I can certainly understand why you would feel that way. I’m sure what entertains me more with the Classic mono is a bit of overdone EQ.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This is sort of like testing 2 different tires on 3 different cars - none of which is your car.

Comparing needledrops is really only useful in a nuanced sense if it’s apples to apples.

porieux, Cassius, rxcory and 5 others like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The needledrop experiment won't carry *that* much weight since there is still a noticeable difference in SQ between the experience of playing an album "live" VS playing back the needledrop captured from the same chain, in my experience. So imagine the huge differences and lost nuances by playing a needledrop performed on a different chain through my stereo!

Nevertheless, it's purely an exercise in checking out the differences for curiosity's sake. It may be an astounding difference or a minute one at best.

As for the difference between the AAA and MOV cuts of the 2010 remaster, I own both and do not find the differences to be anything to go crazy about. It's such a minor one, IMHO, that it comes down to preferences. I got the MOV for the missing singles and they do sound good, though no version of Stone Free has ever sounded great except for the original mono.

Interesting. Sibilance can be down to calibration issues but if two separate people have the same issue with two different LPs and stereo chains, it could potentially be part of the pressing,... which is another possibility.

9. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

It might be worse than that. At least you know what tires and which car!

izgoblin likes this.
  10. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Yes!!! I also noted this amazing 3D swirl a few pages back, I have plenty of stellar sounding records but never heard an effect quite like this or to this degree coming out of my system.

izgoblin likes this.
  11. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

What Clarity mono ABAL?

12. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

So you somehow ordered two copies of the mono version?

My copy of the stereo will be here Friday. Pretty excited to actually listen to it myself.

13. Butch1970

Butch1970 Forum Resident

Just a heads-up for anyone waiting on their order. Make sure that whatever CC you used to place you order hasn't expired in the year-plus time period since you placed your order.

I've been following my order intermittently, but just back to my account page to see that my card had been "declined" (my CC company had issued me a new card at some point). I'm told that there were approx. 500 "declined card" orders so just check on that if you're still waiting for your LP's . I was able to clear my order up and remain in the queue (I ordered Jan 2018).

Looking forward to hearing both the new UHQR stereo and mono! I have the Classic mono which I've always enjoyed so any improvement might only be marginal on my system. My stereo copies have all been various re-pressings from over the years so the UHQR should be a definite improvement there.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    sonofjim likes this.
  14. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I have an original UK Track pressing of Electric Ladyland. It produces the same effect on "And the Gods Made Love." But the rest of that pressing -- while the best EL that I've ever heard -- is not as good as the UHQR version of ABAL.

japhyman and Guitarded like this.
  15. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Just got my stereo version. #974.

The sticker label states the pressing is limited to 1,000 copies.

I thought the stereo was 5,000. Is it now 1,000?

16. They probably put the mono sticker on by accident. A few on here (in this thread) would have a fit about that and send it back so you the right sticker can be put on. Terrible quality control....

Twinsfan007, tubesandvinyl and Guss2 like this.
  17. John D.

John D. Senior Member

18. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

1,000 copies per stamper. :agree:

19. Gordon Johnson

That's nonsense!

It proves nothing, as I said earlier, even I could put a pic up like that on that site.

Note, no information [though I know what it would be if it existed], note no pictures of the disc.

If this record exists it will do as a Test Pressing only as it was NEVER pressed and issued.

If it exists as a TP then it would have had been made available [all20?] of them Never seen them for sale in 19 years.

All we have is a pic on this site, not the most

20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Well 6 people list it as 'Have'

and 1 guy has one listed for sale...

21. Gordon Johnson

Yep, sealed!

It was never issued as a clarity pressing.

If this is genuine then its a TP as already stated.

22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Well, it is out there.

As is a certain Joourney albumm that MFSL never made...yet exists in a population over 50-100 pieces, best I can tell.

Weird stuff happens behind the scenes, that is for sure.

But Test Pressings usually don't include Artwork, do they?

23. lawz

lawz Well-Known Member

not a TP, just a very limited run

www.ebay.com/itm/264232235797

glad to have a copy (never opening it) :D

YEX 750-1 likes this.
  24. Gordon Johnson

How many?
    The BoG appeared as clarity 200grm so these things do crop up. Plus, the BoG had the 20? Test pressings, a limited number set (25?) Plus some others. Maybe a total of 60?

All had the art labels, the tests and numbered issues came with sleeves.

The ABAL mono classic test pressings came with inner sleeve that dictated 200grm Spv and the sleeve.

So yes, original art is included with tests, from classic at least.

The classic TPs usually come sealed but outside of the actual sleeve.

So far I'm unconvinced about this. Happy to be proved incorrect of course.

But back to original question as to how they sound against the 2000 black. Not relevant as it was never released.

25. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Ah, ha. Good catch. Missed it. Thanks!

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.