High output MC vs MM? Any suggestions.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Adeep, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adeep

Adeep Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am currently using a High output MC Dynavector 10x5 cart in my Rega RP6. I much prefer it to the original Rega MM cart that came with the table. Is there either another high output MC or even a MM that makes sense as an upgrade?

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Too many factors. What's your budget? What's your phono preamp? The 10X5 is no doubt a much better cart than any of the bundled Rega carts could ever be, IMHO. So I'm not surprised. The LOMC Dynavector carts sound utterly sublime and even better than the 10X5 but you'd of course need a phono preamp capable of handling the need for 60db or more of gain.

Adeep likes this.
  3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I'll go for a low output but you might have to spend big on accessories like a quality separate phono stage to make it fully worth it.

Adeep and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

Depending on your budget I would look at the Soundsmith line and also the Nagaoka mp-500. The Grado Gold-2 is another to consider. What phonostages are you using?

Adeep likes this.
  5. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Adeep likes this.
  6. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Hana EH and SH, Denon DL-110, Ortofon MC-3 Turbo.

7. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

There is an amazing synergy between Rega arms and the Dynavector 10x5 that is hard to beat. This was my combination on a Rega P3-2000 for 8-9 years before I upgraded my table to a Technics 1200GR with a Dynavector20xl2 a month or so back. If you are happy stick with it. What do you feel you are missing? That will help the members on this forum help you more.

Adeep likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

What did you notice after upgrading to the 20X2L? That might also help the OP. :)

Adeep likes this.
  9. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

As much as I like my Grado Gold2, it will hum on a Rega.

Adeep likes this.
  10. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I upgraded to the low output version, he specifically wants to stay with high output. The 20x in the low output is a cut or two above can't speak for high output though I heard reports it is slightly less clean than low output. I have had a simaudio LP 5.3 for 10 years plus and have underutilized its potential due to budgetary constraints.

Adeep likes this.
  11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Did you use an arm spacer/shim? I am planning on a DV for next cart on one of my RP6s.

Adeep likes this.
  12. Adeep

Thanks for all the input. As usual, I get itchy to change and experiment after a while. My head is telling me not to fix what isn't broken. My heart, well that's another story.

13. Adeep

Yes I did use a spacer.

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

2mm? Thanks!!!

Adeep likes this.
  15. Yamahaha

Yamahaha Sir Pepe of LePew

If you are going to go MC, go all the way. LOMC. Just my opinion. I trade between MC and MM all the time (2 tables) I think everyone who likes Rock N Roll ends with the same conundrum - MM packs a punch MC lacks but MC is just so smooth and sweet. Can you ever get both? I dont think so. Listen to a Judas Priest album for instance where the Marshall grind has the mettalic grind anyone whose ever played knows instantly. MM brings that out perfectly. But MC seems to take some of that metallic Marshallness out. However, for Jazz, the MC ... so sweet and natural whereas MM seems a tad flat.

Two different worlds and I just dont see the place of HOMC except for being able to use a MM stage.

16. Strat-Mangler

Is there a reason you're not mentioning what your phono preamp is? Kind of important to determine what the cost/reward ratio would be in your case. :)

17. John Brunatti

John Brunatti Forum Resident

I have a Hana SH on my P6 with a step-up.......I enjoy this match.

18. Adeep

Phono pre is AudioNoteKit L3. Would have to add SUT if I went with a low output MC.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I may have missed it, but did the OP state a budget?

20. Strat-Mangler

Nope. One of the questions I asked in my 1st reply but has not (yet) been answered.

21. Strat-Mangler

Depends then on whether you would like to ever start exploring the world of LOMC carts. There's no avoiding the need for either a more powerful phono stage or a SUT if you opt for it. IMHO, it's definitely worth it and opens the doors to a higher ceiling in terms of separation and sheer musicality but in the end, it's a matter of taste. However, you won't know until you give it a go whether LOMCs will knock your socks off or not.

I think if you stick with Dynavector, you'll be quite thrilled with the upgrade but of course, you'll need to factor in the SUT into the budget. One option would be to buy a used 20X2L and a SUT from a reputable company like Bob's Devices.

Here's an Auditorium 23 SUT for sale.

Auditorium 23 Step Up Transformer (SUT)

And a supposedly barely used Dynavector 20X2L.

Dynavector Moving Coil Cartridge DV-20X2L | eBay

22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

This is what I would suggest as well. The best high-output MC is a low-output MC IMO.

24. @Adeep Stop looking. Your profile states you have an Ortofon A95!!!:drool:

25. Adeep

I guess I was't clear. I have a second system in my office. That's where the Rega TT is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.