Dave Dexter, Capitol and the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

That does make sense.

Someone at the Malaysian label needs to be interviewed to find out the details on how they got tapes and when, I'd reckon.

2. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I would say you are correct, looking at the track list again.

3. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

That's how it was in those days, local EMI affiliates had the right to make the best releases for their own markets. Most just issued Parlophone or Capitol albums albeit with local sleeves (Japan issued both, and their own!) but there were some bizarre compilations and some great ones. The Beatles weren't that bothered about most of them but found the Capitol ones egregious in only having 11 tracks. In 1965 they put a stop to the worst of Capitol's machinations and in 1966 let their EMI contract lapse while they reconsidered and hoped the lacuna would sharpen the minds of EMI worldwide to accede to their unusual demands.

goodiesguy and jtiner like this.
  4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Spoilsports.

jtiner likes this.
  5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

jtiner likes this.
  6. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Your mention of The Beatles Beat reminded me of all the LP variations. My copy is in the cellar, but I think that was Odeon, correct? EMI affiliate?

goodiesguy and nikh33 like this.
  7. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

goodiesguy, jtiner and nikh33 like this.
  8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

You mean there is another Liverpool in England???

Liverpool, New York - Wikipedia

notesfrom likes this.
  9. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Let's not forget that Ken Thorne also did the incidental music for The Monkees' movie 'Head'. So it could go either way. :)

ShockControl and vinnie like this.
  10. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

gja586 and Chip TRG like this.
  11. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

With a Beatles thread, I am at least guaranteed a captive audience! :laugh:

thrivingonariff likes this.
  12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Has the The Beatles In Italy album been reissued yet?

[​IMG]

goodiesguy and Hawkman like this.
  13. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

It's strange that in Canada for their first release we got the UK 'WITH THE BEATLES', but the next two 'TWIST AND SHOUT' & 'LONG TALL SALLY' were Capitol of Canada creations. I wonder why they just wouldn't have continued issuing the UK configurations.

jtiner likes this.
  14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Unless you think one was a label in the EMI organization with the purpose of selling product to consumers and the other was merely a patron of the arts with no consideration of sales or profit, then recognizing they were working with the same mindset is the balance in the Capitol versus Parlophone argument.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  15. murrow1971

murrow1971 Forum Resident

Well you have to at least put it in the context of time. In 1964 there was not a huge market for "rock albums" as the single was the thing. By the time Sgt.Pepper came out it became evident, even to Capitol, that the albums were statements unto themselves. It is easy in retrospect to question, but I am sure Capital thought the Beatles would be a fad for a year or two and flame out. So they tried to cash in. These are "American" albums after all.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Sidewinder43 likes this.
  16. murrow1971

Yes, we were happy. It was Beatles music. I can assure you no one listened to a Capital album and thought "something is off or missing". It was pure magic.

kronning and Sidewinder43 like this.
  17. murrow1971

Yes, of course. It is called the primacy effect. I am sure if I group up in India with pressings from there I would think the music was awesome and not be wondering what order they are listening to in Spain.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

And you thought the Beatles were American too, even today?

19. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

This reminds me of a reporter who said to them “Some people say your haircuts are un-American.” John said “Well that’s very smart of them because we’re not in fact American.”

20. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Gems, man, you’re a smart guy. I don’t understand why You’re going to an extreme again.

My argument is this:

Yes, EMI and its subsidiary, Capitol, were both businesses looking to make huge profits off of the Beatles. Acknowledged.

It’s just that it is a fact that EMI respected more of the band’s artistic vision and preferences a lot more than Capitol’s complete disregard.

EMI stuck with the 14 track LP when most other U.K. labels were seeking to trim to 12 if possible.

EMI never created or used fake stereo or duophonic mixes. Their stereo LPs were “stereo” LPs.

EMI released the singles the band produced for them. They didn’t release singles without George Martin or the band’s approval.

Please compare any EMI product to the mess that is the US “Help” LP. Capitol had the option to make it a full Beatles LP, but didn’t. They didn’t even take the care to release it in true mono or true stereo.

Now, I don’t care that none of this mattered to the 14 year olds in 1965. I’m stating it from a review with a 2019 analytical eye.

Shaker Steve and JoeRockhead like this.
  21. murrow1971

Never really had that question come to mind. As a child I first noticed them on "Birth of the Beatles". It was pretty evident from the film where they were from, so no question there.

Aftermath likes this.
  22. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Ringo wanted to be a Texan.

23. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

The only real fact is that in England, the Beatles recorded for Parlophone, and in the early days, the only "artistic vision" was really what George Martin and the recording engineers came up with for the final mixing and sequencing. As time went on and success allowed it, the group took more of an interest in those things. In America, they had a contract with Capitol, who under that contract could and did do whatever they thought made for a marketable product. They did with the Beatles' material what they had always done with any artist. And although owned by EMI, they were allowed to run the company fairly autonomously for the most part; that would evolve other time.

This may be true, but the Beatles provided what they provided. There really wasn't any issue on delivering less tracks per lp.

Yes they did. Love Me Do, PS I Love You on the stereo Please Please Me-fake stereo. She Loves You-fake stereo on stereo Collection Of Beatles Oldies. Second half of I Am The Walrus fake stereo. EMI also issued the Magical Mystery Tour album in 1976 with fake stereo mixes of Penny Lane, All You Need Is Love, Baby You're A Rich Man.

24. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Because Capitol of Canada was run by the US Capitol operation, who by that time wanted all Capitol product to be the same, and said "no more" to issuing UK or Canadian compilations.

25. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Let's also not forget that VJ Records had penchant for reissuing the same Beatles songs in different ways.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.