What is meant by an "Analog Transfer"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chester0711, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am considering purchasing the reissue of John Hiatt - Bring The Family on vinyl. Amazon says it is an Analog Transfer of the original mastering. What exactly does this mean?

Bonus points for a review of the latest 2018 pressing (not the mofi or the MOV)

2. Love this album. Looked on amazon but didn't see the reference to source provenance. I see Steve Marcussen is credited with the mastering but I think that's just copy from the original release. This was originally a Direct Metal Master DMM so I'll be watching as others chime in.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It means that the transfer of the analog tapes was done through an analog chain.

McLover likes this.
  4. Chester0711

Ah, okay great, thank you!

5. @Chester0711 would you include a link to the description please? I see no mention anywhere about a full analog transfer. On this site, Amazon, Discogs or elsewhere. Like you, just trying to get the facts!!

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Could also mean, they had access to the actual tape master, and not just the master copy on DAT, as many labels wanted to start doing later on.

Grant likes this.
  7. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

To me it means the original 2 track analog master tape was put up on a 2 track analog tape machine when the lacquers were cut. No digital copies of the 2 track master were used.

Grant likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

AAA means analog master tape, analog mastering, analog delivery format. Analog transfer implies needledrop or analog tape transferred to digital due to various reasons.

Not all analog tapes are suitable for cutting lacquer discs or DMM. As the tape must be in excellent condition, have consistent azimuth, levels, and all splices must be in good order. Once a lacquer mastering session is begun, the side must be cut in one pass. Tapes with technical problems or condition issues likely won't be suitable for lacquer or DMM mastering. Be mindful of these considerations. Not all tapes are able to be used for mastering to lacquer or DMM for all analog LP issues or reissues.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    tin ears, nosliw and Grant like this.
  9. Chester0711

10. This album is an analog transfer of the original EQ by George Marino at Precision Mastering? that's the quote contained within, which I don't even see on the CDN Amazon site, by the way. (Who writes those editorial notes anyway?)

I'll be next in line to pick this up if it's a full analog transfer, preferably not from an eq'd copy but I'm still a little confused about this. Steve Marcussen is given mastering credit according to Discogs and I'm not sure how George was involved. George was essentially an east coast Sterling guy his whole life and Hiatt recorded, mastered and plated this on the west coast at Precision.

Apologies for all my questioning. I have been less than impressed with a lot of Universal UME, UMG re-issues and find too many from digital and pressed at GZ, etc. I just would think if they did something right or even nice, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops with big "from the tapes" "analog" hype stickers, etc. This one came out with no fanfare (not even a hype sticker) and I passed over it due to my pre-conceived notions.

11. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

"This album is an analog transfer of the original EQ by George Marino at Precision Mastering."

That sure sounds like they used a one-generation-removed-from-the-two-track-master EQ tape copy. The only way to master from the 2-track master with the original EQ by George Marino would be to exactly mimic all moves (EQ and otherwise) that Marino made when he mastered, using exactly the same console and outboard (or inboard) EQ and other equipment. Fat chance of that.

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.