What's with the idea that contemporary hip hop and pop lack melody?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lc1995, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

There is plenty of contemporary classical music written exclusively for percussion ensemble... non-pitched percussion, even--no melody. Is that not music? It's written on paper with the funny little dots and everything!

HotelYorba101 and bzfgt like this.
  2. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I never said they didn't. I said that it almost always exposes the ignorance of the critic (and says next to nothing of substance about the genre under criticism) when they do.

For example, Frank Sinatra said:
    Now that I think of it, he sounds a lot like a rock fan criticizing hip-hop, but hey, I'm sure that when you criticize an entire genre, you're doing it from a position of deep knowledge and considerable insight.

Grant and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

You keep whining about this but so far your critiques have consisted of weird stuff like:

You persist at the pretense of critical discussion with sweeping generalizations and outright nonsense. It's sort of a next-level trolling/gaslighting technique. Honestly the folks that threadcrap with one liners and then leave are much more creative. You should try that.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. <count the chords

5. manco

manco Forum Resident

You're an old man in a young man's body. Just deal with that!

WMTC and uzn007 like this.
  6. winders

winders Music Lover

He we go. Because someone does not see things your way they must be ignorant.

7. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Here we go again. All I did was crap on music that I never listen to and people are calling me ignorant!

8. Crank Lucas, coming down on both sides of the issue

<junior is right tho

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  9. Crank Lucas can't hack Trap

<it's just prejudice, is all it is

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  10. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I find nothing to dislike about my contributions to your post. I can't tell that you did either. You just listed them.

11. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I find that type of 'music' does nothing for me at all.
    I've tried and tried but it really does bore me.

12. Bobby Buckshot

:edthumbs:

Too bad you can't enjoy it man. That's your problem.

13. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It is pop music. I do hear it with everything else, like everybody else. I'm a consumer too.

14. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

That's swell.

15. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Of course you are being very specific, pointed, and sensible in your post here.

16. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

If you think about it this is the one place to not enjoy it if you don't, and talk about it. It say so right in post #1. It's also a place to carp I guess.

17. Bobby Buckshot

Preciate it buddy!

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

What am I doing in this thread? :D

So, I listened to this, and yeah it's pretty terrible. There's no way I'd want to hear that, or something like it, again.

Which is perfectly normal. I'm not the target audience. I have no idea what cultural references are made in the lyrics or video. For my aged ears the vocals are too processed, and I can't tell what is sampled and what is written and performed by the artist in question - whom I've never heard of.

There isn't a rap/hip hop artist on the planet who cares if I like it or not. I also tried Lil Baby, and man. No. Rhythmically I hear interesting things, but there's a lack of vocal melody - to this old man they pretty much all sound the same vocal wise. There IS melody in there, playing the background, but that's different, imo.

I guess what I'm trying to say is - you can listen to music all your life, but eventually it's okay to fall out of sync with whatever is happening on the music scene. I consider it a natural progression. You can't like everything, let alone spend time with it. This music is for a different generation, with different concerns and wants. I don't get it, but it was always going to be that way.

As an aside - I am into formative rap. So, back in the 70's there were a lot of protest poets, reading their works over jazz tunes. It's proto-rap really, and really good. I have ten or so CD's of poets reading over bands, they really hit the spot. As an example of this type of music, I offer the famous:

Tristero and stem like this.
  19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I have my own theory, which I cannot relate here.

20. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You didn't think there was vocal melody in the chorus?

21. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think I know what you mean.

uzn007 likes this.
  22. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

. . . and 95% of which you have probably not heard . . .

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm desperate not to threadcrap, or to be seen as doing so. To put it simply - and note I'm very old and out of touch - the verse performances in the rap/hip hop I've heard is all the same. An over-generalization, of course. I'm sure there are examples that instantly show that assertion to be false, but I'm talking generally based on what I've heard. Perhaps there's a chorus that's better - but I can't get by on chorus alone.

In all likelihood, there is some rap/hip hop out there I'd enjoy at some level. But let's be honest, we don't tend to spend time with music we don't enjoy on the off chance we'll come across something we do. The little I've heard would be the bigger names, those charting, those in the public eye etc. I'm not doing deep dives into the music. What I hear are verses that sound the same. Musically the tracks can have good moments, but since the verses are generic sounding, they seem not to be part of the song, and therefore kind of slapped together. A chorus is a hook, and some might have that - but often it's some love thing, or a bunch of kids having a good time. I haven't had a good time in years, so can't relate.

As I mentioned earlier, this is perfectly normal and to be expected. After all, I'm the guy these punks push over in order to sneak in the back door of a gig with their marry-wi-gemima and gold.

24. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I'm curious now lol

25. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

It was on a interview for brazilian magazine Veja, maybe in the last year or the year before..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.