Recommendations for a small good quality subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jwhitephoto, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwhitephoto

Jwhitephoto Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I recently purchased a set of Peachtree Audio 24T Wireless speakers for use at my small cabin in the mountains. Not a great system, but much better than the little Bose iPod player that was there. Since it has a built-in DAC I just carry a clone of my Roon drive along and go in USB from my Macbook. Sound is very good but I was thinking that a small sub would be a nice supplement. I only paid $300 for the speakers so I wouldn't want to go much higher than that for a sub. There is just one RCA out from the Peachtrees so no real crossover. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

paulbright81 likes this.
  2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

3. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

SVS

Fruff76 likes this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Fruff76 likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It's funny, the OP tells you this and right away, you guys are recommending subs that are quite a bit more than his speaker's are.

With only $300 speaker's, the OP needs a very modest sub. The OP goes on to say, "Not a great system, but much better than the little Bose iPod player that was there."

I suggest the OP buy a modest Polk entry level sub like;

Polk Audio PSW10 10" Powered Subwoofer, 35Hz-200Hz, 50W Continuous Power, Single

It's a retail $239.95 sub that Adorama sells for $129.

[​IMG]

7. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Another SVS vote. Excellent bang for your buck.

Fruff76 and Jwhitephoto like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Yep.

2/4 guys recommending a sub $200 more expensive than what the OP is willing to spend. :doh:

zonto, TEA FOR ONE, hifisoup and 7 others like this.
  9. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

"Used" is an option. ;)

Jwhitephoto likes this.
  10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I still love REL.

Matt Richardson and oxenholme like this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

guilty, sorry. i read high quality sub, not the budget.

12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You should be able to find a used Velodyne MiniVee 8 in your price range. Great little sub.

TEA FOR ONE and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

An option not mentioned by the OP. :p

14. SandAndGlass

The problem with buying a used sub is that there is shipping, which adds further to the cost.

There are three currently listed on eBay. One is for $199, untested, "Local Pick Up", the next one is $275, with $50 shipping, bringing it up to $325.

Velodyne Minivee 8 subwoofer

[​IMG]

The third one is $350, plus $70.88 shipping, bringing it to $420.88

Velodyne mini vee 8

[​IMG]

Myself, I have no issues buying used, but these prices are not any bargains and I prefer to have a warranty.

For the same $325, I bought Polk's top of the line 12", 400-Watt DSW PRO 660 on one of Polk's annual 50% off sales, new, with a 5-year warranty.

[​IMG]

Duke Fame likes this.
  15. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Yeah, no one has ever ended up buying something more expensive than they first planned on. That never happens.

16. sw61139

sw61139 Well-Known Member

I like mine. I also have an 8" Polk SW in another room. Neither would please an audiophile, I'm sure They just do the job well.

Jwhitephoto and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Your choice but he mentioned a budget for a good reason, one of which being buying a $500 sub for a set of $300 mains wouldn't make much sense... so I fail to see how that suggestion would be helpful.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Jwhitephoto and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Considering the Velodyne was around a grand new, is a sealed sub and digs much deeper than the Polk I'd have to say it's a much better choice for the intended use as well as being a decent bargain.

SandAndGlass and bever70 like this.
  19. mark_j

mark_j Forum Resident

Polk and Klipsch both make inexpensive subs that fit your budget and purpose.

SandAndGlass and The Pinhead like this.
  20. SandAndGlass

I'm not arguing that point. But I also wouldn't pair $300 speaker's with a $1k sub either.

Any small sub would do for the OP's use. He just needs an inexpensive sub to fill in the bottom end with and doesn't want to spend a lot of money to do it.

The Pinhead and Jwhitephoto like this.
  21. SandAndGlass

Of course, we're not talking about audiophile subs, just something the meets the OP's budget and will get the job done.

Back in my earliest days of setting up the HT in my office, back in 2012, I had a pair of Polk Monitor 70's Series II and I added a Polk PSW505 sub for $229. It was an absolutely killer sub for the money and it really was not all the bad with stereo either, since I always use my amps and speakers for both HT and stereo. Here is a shot of the room back then. The sub was behind the TV.

[​IMG]

Later I acquired a couple of Martin Logan Dynamo Subs. I didn't know that these were still around but I just found some. They are better subs that the entry level Polk's are, very fine for music. I had both a 300 (8", 75-Watts) and a 500 (10" 120-Watts).

Martin Logan Dynamo 300 8 inch Powered Subwoofer Factory Refurbished

[​IMG]

OPEN BOX Dynamo 500 Subwoofer, retail $500, Sale $200

[​IMG]

And from another online seller $199.95.

MartinLogan Dynamo 500 Powered Subwoofer (Black)

[​IMG]

To the OP, just ran across these. I doubt if you will find another sub for this quality for this price and it includes free shipping.

This sub weighs 28.5 lbs. and plays down to 29-Hz. at its -3 dB. point.

If this sub is too large for your space, you could go with the 8" version for a lightly less.

22. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Yeah, why would you want to buy something really good you can have forever when you can save a little money and have something not very good you'll throw away in a few years.

23. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I had the little Martin Logan subs. The SVS clobber them.

I replaced my Martin Logan Grotto in the home theater with a $800 SVS and it's night and day. I remember asking the guy at SVS, 'If I replace my Grotto with your sub will I hear a difference' and he was 'oh, YEAH'. He was right, too.

24. SandAndGlass

I have a ZU audio sub also.

[​IMG]

My main sub is a 15" passive, commercial horn loaded sub. I've never really been a fan of those active home subs in those small cabinets.

They don't sound natural to me. But I do use them for fill.

It is powered by a 1,600-Watt crown XTi-2000 amp, running in bridged mono. The sub can play at 133-dB. continuous program material.

[​IMG]

The little ML Dynamo 300 was perfect with the Peachtree D5 bookshelf speaker's that I had in my bedroom.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    unclefred and slcaudiophile like this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Your misplaced snarky sarcasm aside, everyone's budget, life circumstances, and priorities are different and therefore might not match your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.