Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

2. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Probably just made too many. Too many releases, too few buyers.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Neil comes out with a lot of stuff. His first archive albums i bought. I am tired. Just other stuff to explore. Even the new archive is from a cool era for my taste but i just am pooped out on neil. Maybe in few years ill go back and be hungry for it.

The kamasi washington ep is great! First thing i got from him. He is so interesting. Harmony of difference i mentioned earlier. Great package sound and music. It was made for an art project has the paintings in a small booklet. Still about 13 bucks.

5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Watched Silver and Gold DVD just last night...highly recommended. So many releases fro him for sure.

The MEZ and Greenalishi like this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

8. aoxomoxoa

Thanks for the tip on Kamasi. I have tickets to see Herbie Hancock and Kamasi later this year.
    Been meaning to dive into his records. I wasn't aware of this E.P.

latheofheaven and Greenalishi like this.
  9. Greenalishi

Have fun. That'll be a great show. Wonder what Herbie will do. He has been doing lots of different stuff live. I remember he did an Indian thing a few years ago at the Jazz Center near me. But, on PBS he was doing a kind of fusiony thing. Should be interesting. Kamasi does a variety but it's kind of that Pharoh Sanders spiritual jazz thing. Which is really appealing.

https://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Difference-Kamasi-Washington/dp/B074FK6GFV

I put the link earlier i think but it's still the same price. 13. 63 for the lp. Nice sound and package. simple but with thought to it.

There is a younger jazz movement who are doing their own thing right now. Taking from history but still themselves. And less strict like the 80s guys and Wynton Marsalis. Less just new york bebop and more variety. Kind of an interesting time right now. In many ways. Very 60s in so many ways.

jeffsab, latheofheaven and aoxomoxoa like this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

I have been blown away with the music I have heard from Kamasi Washington. He reminds me of a cross between Pharoah Sanders and Sun Ra.
    I haven't bought his LPs yet because they are so pricey. Was hoping for a price drop. This looks like a good place to start anyway.

I have no idea what Herbie will do. But I am looking forward to the show!

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Herbie! Hey, that's great Bro! :righton: I saw him when he was doing either his Rockit or Sound System tour. WOW, what a show! He is one of the very few guys where I feel that just about anything he does is very good.

12. Greenalishi

Herbie has an amazing array of styles. Totally took Miles cue on that front.

I'll add after listening to Kamasi that this group of guys embrace smooth jazz Grover Wash and Kenny G whereas Wynton it was what they were going against. So they embrace a lot. You know Kenny Gs Brazilian album is pretty cool. The smooth jazz as a punchline is like some teen pop person as a joke just redundant. It ain't my thing. But some of the dj stuff, dance music, acid jazz the 90s trip hop stuff, what's the difference sometimes. Repetive beat and some melody. The repetitive beat is what i hate. I need no drummer or a live drummer much of the time. Though i embrace a beat sometimes too. Sly did it to a tee.

Yea, i said it, Kenny G's Brazilian album is good. Perfect marriage of style and player. It's good.

The epic quality on Kamasis stuff is so freakin appealing. When in the 90s they went to the vaults at Blue Note and other places and started puttin out stuff that acid jazzy people dug it just blew me away. Those kind of epic songs just reach and that can be really cool sometimes.

aoxomoxoa and latheofheaven like this.
  13. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Yep, same here... Don't much care for the 'Elevator Jazz' style myself :) But, I frigg'n LOVE all the Acid Jazz / Downtempo stuff that came out around the same time. Stuff like Massive Attack, The Sneaker Pimps, Portishead, and Morcheeba :righton:

Okay, now some deals so I don't get my @ss kicked! :D

KISS: Dressed to Kill $14.19
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZMRTG4

Red Hot Chile Peppers: I'm With You (DoubleVinyl)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015HAW2Z8

14. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Same here. It was in mint condition, sealed. Quite the bargain for a record that sounds this nice!

15. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I received my copy today and it is brand new. I have not opened it yet, but I have my doubts that it is the 180G vinyl version. It feels more like a regular LP and there are no hype stickers or anything extra on it indicating otherwise. Anyone know if there is any special markings or codes to ensure it is the 180G version before I open it?

16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Just curious. Why is 180G so important?

notesofachord and Matt I like this.
  17. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing. There have been 2 pressings in the last 20 years so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out but It's always a great sounding album.

18. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

The main reason is Amazon had it listed at the 180G version. It does not appear to me to be that version.

19. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I think the one they sent me is this version, as the labels read "Manufactured in the Netherlands" and the runout has the stamped part that the other version does not. The record itself feels like it has the weight of your typical pressing from Record Industry.

20. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I don't have that same Miles Davis - Live Evil, but other Miles' Four Men With Beards titles I've heard are pretty good.

ermylaw likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That zombies pressing is utter crap.

For men with beards releases are typically junk although I haven't heard these.

ermylaw and hutlock like this.
  23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have the Hancock, this is the BN 75th anniversary edition, I believe. These are digital transfers and sound ok, but the quality of the pressings by United is a hit or miss, actually mostly miss. Most of them are off center and suffer from no fill, noise, and other defects.

ermylaw likes this.
  24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

If the Zombies is the same as the 2014 RSD vinyl, which was cut by Steve Massie, it's great. I think it's the best reissue of that record. The original Date still sounds the best to my ears (though it's been a while since I've heard the original on vinyl... I still have a cassette copy I made in the late 80s!)

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident