Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs: I may grab the SACD as well ...

2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Thanks for the Szell recommendation! I find Davis’ not bad, but they’re a bit _too_ polished in my opinion.

Too bad Trevor Pinnock never recorded the late symphonies. He did record the middle (Sturm und Drang) symphonies and a disc of early ones, and those recordings just jump out of the speakers, full of energy and wit and elegance—they’re favourites of mine.

bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  3. coopmv

I have all the Haydn Symphonies by Pinnock and the "incomplete" box by Hogwood. I have no need for that Decca Haydn Symphonies where they cobbled together recordings by three different conductors and therefore three different styles ...

4. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Michel Pignolet de Montéclair (1667-1737): Cantatas

[​IMG]

5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Awesome post thanks! I'll keep an eye out for all of this.
    :cheers:

Wes H likes this.
  6. coopmv

There are a lot of garbage reviews out there or perhaps people just do not like big box with many different pianists. I have the same Chopin box without the vocal works. Adam Harasiewicz had a big following in the 60's when he recorded exclusively for Philips. Bella Davidovich, now retires in NY, is an excellent pianist to my ears and I have a number of single recordings by her. These are only two of the pianists that I recall offhand. I hope to return to this box some times but I have not done sooner since I have at least 200 Chopin recordings in my collection and I found out it is far easier for me to have a second listen on CD singles than a big box ...

bluemooze and Luisboa like this.
  7. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

I usually don't check out the cds for sale at thrift stores...most of the time they look like they were cleaned with a Brillo pad...just for the heck of it i browsed through the stacks and found this souvenir from the early days of the cd in the 80's.
    The selections featured on this Philips digital sampler aren't that shabby either...not bad for .70 cents!..and to think back in the 80's i thought i was getting a deal on a used cd for $10...and used vinyl was usually a buck or two..how things have changed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

The Szell recordings might have been remastered for that recent Sony big box. Does anybody know?

"...energy and wit and elegance..." brings to mind a couple of other sets:

Nonesuch produced a complete box set of the twelve "London Symphonies" performed by Leslie Jones and the Little Orchestra of London that puts emphasis on wit, energy, and elegance--in that order! Jones understands the fun side of these works; in fact I might describe his interpretations as rollicking and, at times, raucous with brass, winds, and timpani right in your face. Sometimes, I'm in the mood for that--the "change of pace," as mentioned earlier. I think even Haydn would get a kick out these.

[​IMG]

The recordings are a bit dry and forward and Nonesuch's pressings don't help much, either, but my ear quickly adapts and I'm okay with it. There is a small online outfit called "Haydn House" that offers needle drops of these records on CD, supposedly tweaking the sonics for a better presentation, but I've never done a comparison.

Another LP edition I play on occasion are those by Bernstein and the NY Philharmonic, which managed to belt out some movements with loads of energy... big time! Columbia's sonics are all over the map, but serviceable. With Bernstein and forces, however, one must give them considerable latitude. Unlike Szell, who could drive the Cleveland Orchestra at a breathless pace with absolute accuracy, Bernstein was more about just getting there and less about how he got there. Thus, the NYP can sound a little ragged at times, but the sheer vitality and zeal these guys project makes me smile. :)

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Speaking of Szell last night I played this. Goosebump inducing. In my meager classical collection I have 3 performances of Sibelius #2 and this my favorite. Also an amazing recording imho...

[​IMG]

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just checked the accompanying book and, as John Fowler said in his review of the box on Amazon, "The remastering credits for this box are quite complicated". He couldn't be more right. The credits suggest that most tracks were remastered, but I can't say if they remastered the complete set. The sound is excellent, though.

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  11. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Heinrich Isaac: Missa La Sol/Motets/Songs. Ruhland, Capella Antiqua. German Telefunken black gold label.

I only have two LPs of Isaac and he doesn't seem well represented on CDs. There is another LP put out by by the Hilliard Ensemble in the 80s but I have not seen it. It must be rare. Not sure why since his music is quite accessible and melodic.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 1. String Quartet in A minor, op. 41 #1 & String Quartet in A, op. 41 #3.
    Jpc.de had this greatly reduced, plus I had a 20% voucher, so I took a chance. I like what I'm hearing so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

New arrival, "I Dodici Giardini - Cantico di Santa Caterina da Bologna (1413-1463)" performed by La Reverdie on Arcana.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kundera the joke. and Wes H like this.
  15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

When I ripped these to JRiver, some of the auto-tagging says "remastered", so do not.

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I like Searle's works. Just wish I had more recordings of them.

StarThrower62 likes this.
  17. coopmv

@J.A.W. So you are ready to pull the trigger on this big, definitive Bruno Walter big box?

18. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I'd try the Lyrita CDs but they're in mono. I've heard No.2 by Krips is a good performance.

Wes H likes this.
  19. coopmv

:edthumbs:

20. coopmv

Mono in classical recording is fine. At least you are not getting fake stereo ...

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Oh yes, sure, the more so since I don't have that much Walter. I'm just hoping for a lower price, the current 300 euros price tag at JPC Germany is a bit steep, but I probably can't wait too long as other pretty recent big Sony boxes (Szell, Rudolf Serkin, to name but two) are already OOP. I get the feeling that these big boxes are getting more expensive, especially the ones Sony put out.

22. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Carl Nielsen: Symphony No. 5, Op. 50 (1921-22)

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

I have the Walter Mozart and Beethoven boxes and his early recordings in an EMI box ...

24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I know, I was rather critical of Backhaus' post-war stereo Beethoven cycle at first, but his performances grew on me and the above set with his pre-war Beethoven is a must for everyone who appreciates his playing. A historical document, just like the two Wilhelm Kempff sets APR released a while ago.

bluemooze, crispi and Mr Bass like this.