Billy Joel Remastered Cd's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Sheagren, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

Anyone have a problem with the 1998 remastered series Billy Joel cds?
    Because they sound fantastic to me.But i never had any other cd to compare them to.

pantofis, JediJoker and 905 like this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We have gone over this on another thread I think may still be open for new replies. Anyway, I initially praised the remasters but since have realized that the older Cds do sound clearer and more dynamic. The remasters aren't bad, but they could have been better. I have since rebought all of the original CDs and have gotten rid of the remasters. What does that tell you?

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I have The Stranger, 52nd Street, Glass Houses, Songs From The Attic and An Innocent Man and I'm fine with all of 'em.
    They sound good!

MikeManaic61, Scott Sheagren and 905 like this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You need the unremastered version of Turnstiles if you want the original version of New York State of Mind (with a different sax line than the remaster).

5. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

You can get the remastered Turnstiles with the original version of New York State of Mind on the limited Complete Albums Collection from 2011.

6. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

I'm fairly certain everything has been discussed in another thread at some point (probably multiple times).:D

fr in sc, agentalbert and Grant like this.
  7. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I'm a cheap bastard and spent the money on the MoFi SACD hybrids; never looked back. IMHO they sound the best of all the digital releases.

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think Billy Joel's catalog is one of those rare, happy instances where (almost) all the CD versions sound pretty good: see also Paul Simon, Allman Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, Meters, etc.

Yeesh, to think those remasters are now old enough to drink . . .

9. Scott Sheagren

Wow no kidding!thank you

10. I think they're quite good, the thing that bothers me most is that Turnstiles does not feature the original version of "New York State Of Mind". Sure, I like the Mofi SACDs I've heard better, but with them being more than 3 times as expensive the 1998 remasters are still a decent option for the less devoted fan. They're obviously made from much better sources than the early European CDs that were in print over here before the remasters came out.

11. Scott Sheagren

im gonna have to find me a Turnstiles original cd to get the original New York State of Mind.thank you group!

12. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I was very happy to buy them including Greatest Hits, setting me up well for everything before The Bridge.

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

The way to go for Billy's albums from "Piano Man", through until "Innocent Man", are the MFSL SACD's along with the Audio Fidelity "Streetlife Serenade".

rxcory, Jarleboy, SOONERFAN and 5 others like this.
  14. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

The remasters are perfectly fine for me and in case of Streetlife Serenade a must (if not the AF) because of the missing bit in Root Beer Rag on the original cd.

shaboo, JediJoker and Scott Sheagren like this.
  15. Scott Sheagren

That album is my favorite by him.

905 likes this.
  16. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I have about 5-6 of the 1998 CDs and they sound good for the time, but I thought The Stranger sounded a little off to me? I always thought the '98 CDs had a kind of processed sound quality to them?

I never bought the very expensive 2011 Complete Albums Box, but I do have the HITS and LOVE SONGS CDs, which use the 2011 modern remasters, and I vastly prefer the more modern audio on those compared to the 1998 CDs! Do you own Hits and Love Songs?

Scott Sheagren and Grant like this.
  17. Scott Sheagren

I do not but am curious about this complete album box you talk about

18. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

You might want to pick up the HITS comp and/or the LOVE SONGS CD as well, to see if you like the 2011 remasters. The audio sounds modern and rich on these two comps and the songs sound full as well.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

They're very loud. I haven't heard them, but I can't imagine they sound great, especially compared to earlier versions that are easy to find.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Carlox, ispace and Scott Sheagren like this.
  20. Scott Sheagren

as i kind of figured compressed to hell im sure

21. walrus

But they sound "modern"! :laugh:

ispace and Scott Sheagren like this.
  22. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

DR 8 or DR 9 is far from "compressed to hell". Don't know why people constantly overexaggerate when it comes to compression. They may be too compressed for your taste and that's fine, but you should reserve terms like this for actual brickwall masterings with DR 5-6 (or even lower).

23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Has anyone picked up (well, downloaded) any of his hi-rez releases? Are those just the same as the most recent masters? Curious if they're worth the double-dipping if I already have the MoFis, and the remasters for the others.

24. walrus

Not saying they're the worst ever, but considering there's three other options for most of his catalog (80's, 1998 remasters, and Mofi), all of which are considerably more dynamic...there's really no reason to go this route? I think his stuff was very well recorded, for the most part, so it's not a matter of compression working to compensate for or beef up an iffy recording, which is sometimes okay.

ispace likes this.
  25. walrus

They're the 2011 ones, I believe. Like, this DR7 hi-res Storm Front (probably a 16/44 recording anyway): Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.