Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

He hasn't received his yet. He stated to me that he will share his thoughts on PIJ soon.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  2. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

I have Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Bridge Over Troubled Water, What's Going On, and now Portrait In Jazz. I have been really impressed with ALL of the MOFI One-Step releases. They sound amazing and are an excellent value. I am not a flipper and I do not ever plan to part with them. I believe it is downright crazy to spend so much on a collectors item only to never open it. And to the people who insist on doing this every time they release a new one, please stop depriving others of these very limited releases. Music is meant to be shared not hoarded.

Other than the new sales tax over at Music Direct I believe they are a great company. We are all very fortunate to have a company that caters to fans who love music. And the customer service is out of this world! I was recently on a call with customer service and the sale associate told me he worked at Music Direct for over 20 years and remembered when they had 10,000 items, now they have over 20,000. Why do you think that is? I believe they do it for the love of this hobby and I hope they continue to provide this excellent service for many years to come. Life is too short to complain about every minute detail. Please just keep spinning and enjoying your vinyl. Vinyl is not perfect but Music Direct gets pretty close.

In other thread related news, I received # 648 delivered today (A2/B2/C2/D2) and no scratches, scruffs, or obvious damage whatsoever. No time to clean or spin but hopefully in the next few days. Lastly, I feel at peace knowing if there were any issues Music Direct would make sure I am happy. My friends, peace of mind is truly priceless. Cheers!

Kyhl, djost, PATB and 10 others like this.
  3. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

It’s your fault for only buying from resellers. Why can’t you just order from MD and get problems fixed when they happen?

Tullman likes this.
  4. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Hmmm...this is a very exciting thread. I have the Fagen and Marvin and whereas I had a small scratch on the Fagen I could barely hear so I'm very happy with the SQ. I live in Sweden and have a friend family (not vinyl lovers) in Illinois and sometimes order to them for the sake of shipping cost. Then I collect typically every 2 year or so. But this release make me nervous - especially since customers had Stevie Ray Vaughan on one side of this box set. I cannot check this from here. Maybe I will have my friends check but they have no TT but maybe the Matrix info is sufficient? 005 instead of 009 would give it away right?

SoundDoctor likes this.
  5. SoundDoctor

Yes.

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

A couple comments...

First, the new supervinyl formula is legit quiet. The typical whooshing and rumble you hear in the lead-in to most 45 LPs is several material notches lower, and as they say the music comes out of a black background.

On a more subjective note, with each new sample we get I become more and more convinced that the One Step process gets you meaningfully closer to the master tape. This really stood out for me on SRV Texas Flood. I get a similar impression for PIJ, just that PIJ is clearly a lesser recording.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Simple answer. I didn't have an interest in buying the One-Step LP sets till I broke out my turntable. I started reading about the One-Step LP sets with the release of SRV's Texas Flood. Of course by then all but Texas Flood were no longer available from sellers like Music Direct and MOFI. I ordered Texas Flood and Portrait In Jazz direct from Music Direct.

So for myself and all of those that missed the earlier One-Step releases and bought them from resellers are at fault when there's issues with our unopened sets? I find it interesting that you assign blame without even taking the time to ask why I bought the One-Step LP sets from resellers in the first place.

My current turntable and cartridge are over 35 years old. There is no way I would play any of the One-Step LP sets with it. I'm picking up a Thorens TD-145 with a new cartridge from Vinyl Nirvana today. So I'll be able to play Texas Flood without fear of damaging the vinyl. I'll compare Texas Flood to the APO SACD that so far is the best sounding version I've heard. Then I'll decide if I want to unseal all the other One-Step sets. Hopefully that's alright with you or am I doing something else wrong?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    RobCos02330, MisterBritt and CBackley like this.
  8. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Easy nuh, Mon.

9. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I just got #1481 - all the correct jazz on side one, no Blues Hammer

JackDVD78 likes this.
  10. #447 in the house and disc one in the KLAUDIO as I type. System warmed up.

11. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

MFSL did a great job with the sound on this release. However, the price is getting to the point, for me personally, where I probably will not be getting anymore of these except for albums that truly are must have favorites of mine.

bluesfan and Jrr like this.
  12. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Yes it is SRV on side one. I reported those results about four pages back.

13. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Yes. My #1820 has SRV on side one and the deadwax matrix is 005.

14. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

#576 Checking in.

No SRV thankfully. The scuffing is so bad, it makes my sleeves look used-really bad. I’ll forgive ‘em if the sound lives up to my other One Step titles titles(which didn’t suffer as badly with the scuffing).

15. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I feel quite a bit better about this version of Portrait in Jazz today after listening to the second disk. It still required a fair amount of meticulous brushing even after a wet clean, but I knew to expect that, and this time the disk was flat. It seemed to be well-centered as well, and the surfaces were indeed pristinely silent.

Sonically, I expect it is probably the best this title will ever sound, though the recording of the piano itself will keep it from ever being thought of as an audiophile recording. I think someone used the word "boxy" to describe the piano sound, and I guess that fits what I'm hearing. It sounds pretty good during single note runs, but when he plays chords it sounds hard and one-dimensional, almost more like an upright piano or something. I suspect it's caused by a slight overload of the mics, but I'm not sure--in any event, it doesn't seem like something that could be fixed in mastering. The bass and drums sound good, though I really wish the bass were more balanced (volume-wise) with the piano in the mix. I've only heard this album before on CD (the K2 remastering), and thought it sounded harsh and unpleasant. This is certainly an improvement over that, yet I would never use it as a demo disk.

16. glide

glide Forum Resident

So out of a total of 7 "premium" releases they have managed to have 2 serious mis-presses with the actual music you are supposed to receive not being present on the albums?! (BOTW and PIJ)

On top of that, a 17% price increase? I think I'm done with this series.

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Yeah, when you put the facts out there, it doesn't impress.

David P. Hill and Bill Mac like this.
  18. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

Not exactly six sigma, is it. Mofi is wasting so much money and time fixing this stuff, yet they still haven't made any steps to improve the process. It's like making these One-Steps is such a windfall for them that they aren't even worried about it.

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. SoundDoctor

MisterBritt likes this.
  20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Order placed, within comment box: Please don't send scuffed LP jackets.

21. SRV_AU

SRV_AU Forum Resident

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

23. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

I would too; why smear their social media before you give them the chance to make it right?

24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

#1820. #1822,#1975 - there will be as many errant pressings as the number they limit each stamper 'convert' to. The matrix on side one with SRV (#1820) is 005A17. So where did they grab A17 from if SRV had 7500 pressed? What do they do with these stampers when they have reached their end of life? Was A17 the stamper they were keeping around to replace warranty demands, or did they pick it out of the bone pile by accident? I suspect SRV A17 was kept around for warranty repressings and it was grabbed inadvertently. If that is true, does that mean that they used 16 previous stampers to press 7500?

25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

All valid questions: To Err is Human