The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

This one (this is a mock-up obviously and not any finished artwork).

The MEZ, pwhytey, Binni and 1 other person like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

So happy to see the early love for Strangeways and A Rush and a Push.

For me, Strangeways is their best album. A Rush and a Push is great. I adore that vocal effect at the start of it. And that lyric "but don't mention love" is classic Morrissey.

DiBosco, candyflip69, Erik B. and 5 others like this.
  3. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Agreed, strangeways is their best

George P and TexasBuck like this.
  4. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I'm not sure I follow you. I guess I just don't see any part of it as flimsy.

5. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Johnny Marr with Modest Mouse - We were dead before the ship even sank.

As good as any Smiths album. Easily.

6. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Rush and a push. First Smiths song i ever listen to. By my 16 a then recent friend who by now is like a brother had an original cassette of Strangeways and he put it playing, saying is classmates all hated it. I loved it since the begining, specially when side B started (you know what Im talking about). I dont think he explored the Smiths that much since, but me after a year i was already turning to Morrissey stuff since i had consumed all the Smiths I could.
    Rush and a push. 4/5

The MEZ likes this.
  7. Pavol Stromcek

o_O

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  8. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Rush and A Push.....5/5

Luisboa and TexasBuck like this.
  9. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Yes. Isaac Brock is a better lyricist than Morrissey (I know. Is that even possible?). He might not be a better singer. Give it a listen.

I know I'm getting off topic, so apologies but if you love the smiths. Give this a chance.

10. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

A Rush and Push and the Land Is Ours: Beautiful intro with the vocal effects, drums and harpsichord? Love the production:. There is a lot of space and air. Very unique song: Both musically and melody wise. I can’t name a Smiths song I think sounds like this. I have no idea what the song is about but the lyrics are pure brilliance and love the vocal inflection/delivery. Case in point: “Some eighteen months ago I traveled to a mystical time zone And I missed my bed And I soon came home”. Great way to start things off. 5 out of 5 ranking.

Gavaxeman, Pavol Stromcek and The MEZ like this.
  11. Pavol Stromcek

Sorry, this might be the strongest "we'll have to agree to disagree" I've ever uttered. I loathe, abhor, and detest Modest Mouse, and as for the idea that Brock is a better lyricist than Morrissey, well, I don't want to tick off Turk Thrust again, so I'll just say that I disagree vehemently with that notion. (And yes, I've heard that album.)

Gavaxeman likes this.
  12. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Well for the sake of love, peace and harmony. (Maybe in the next world)

Let's just agree to disagree. I mean you're obviously wrong of course :winkgrin: but that hasn't stopped others.

13. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours"

Strangeways is an album with a beautiful and lush production. I bought it on the day of release, and it is without doubt the best-sounding piece of Smiths vinyl that I own. The problem I have with it is that it contains a few songs that just don't appeal to me - at least not as much as virtually all the earlier songs do.

However...it's not a problem to begin with as "A Rush..." gets the album off to a fantastic start with a confident bouncy stride. I didn't even realise there were no guitars in it until I read Simon Goddard's book. Nice tune, gorgeous transition into the chorus, and a very satisfying rolled 'r' from Morrissey. I've no idea what it's about, but it's the most infectious track on the album. 5/5.

14. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Love the lyric on this one. I actually really like this as the first track plus the overdubbing here is pretty neat. I don't really get sick of it, and it's always pretty good. 5/5

TexasBuck, The MEZ and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  15. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I like the album but it’s nowhere close to the Smiths.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  16. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Strongly agree. 5/5

P.S. I'm done lurking.

Strangeways is total departure from their prior work. So of course Rush and Push is different. Doesn't make it any less powerful.

TexasBuck, Pavol Stromcek and The MEZ like this.
  17. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

‘A Rush and a Push’ is a wonderfully evocative opener for The Smiths’ swansong (the best of their four albums, in my opinion). At times haunting, jaunty, humorous and melancholic, it’s a great song and I was pleased to see it finish second in a recent Strangeways poll on here. 5/5

18. Pavol Stromcek

Ah, too bad I missed that poll. Strangeways really is an incredible and under-appreciated album. I totally get why Morrissey and Marr have stated that it's their favorite.

19. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Rush and Push

Powerful - nothing more to add.

5/5

spacedyed and The MEZ like this.
  20. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

What is 80's piano ...:shrug:?
    My score is 4.

Binni and guidedbyvoices like this.
  21. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

"A Rush and a Push and the Land Is Ours" 5/5

Pavol Stromcek and The MEZ like this.
  22. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Yes, this was the backdrop the first time I saw Morrissey live in 1991. I bought the t-shirt with this image on & wore it to death for a couple of years until I lost it in the sea whilst holiday in Greece; Harvey Keitel’s face last seen floating off towards Albania.....

23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I also saw him at New York’s Madison Square Garden back in 1991, sold out show. I remember that backdrop picture.

24. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    In case anyone’s unfamiliar with the uncropped source of the cover photo. I agree that the cropped version is a rather bland image.

Binni, RobRoyF, Diego Lucas and 3 others like this.
  25. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Who are they? Is that Jimmy Dean seated?