Wang Chung - Deluxe Remasters for albums 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by negative1, May 15, 2019.

1. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan Thread Starter

Wang Chung will be issuing deluxe remasters for all their albums.

The first 3 for 2019:
    ==================
    Vinny Vero

[​IMG]

Vinny Vero
    Yesterday at 1:57 AM

Finally! After more than two years, I am able to reveal part of the work I’ve been doing on behalf of the mighty Wang Chung.

I have been spending a lot of that time researching, curating and producing deluxe editions of the band’s first three albums - “Huang Chung”, “Points On The Curve” and “Music From The Motion Picture ‘To Live And Die In L.A.’” Currently, they are scheduled to be released during the autumn of 2019. The reissues of “Huang Chung” and “Points On The Curve” will each be available as a 3CD set, while “Music From The Motion Picture ‘To Live And Die In L.A.’” will arrive as a 2CD collection. Expect a treasure trove of bonus material including singles, b-sides, remixes, alternate versions, and live tracks, plus more demos and previously unreleased recordings than you can possibly imagine. All tracks have been sourced using the original master tapes.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg, my dedicated, deluxified and delightful friends. There will be lots more to tell you in the coming weeks and months regarding Wang Chung. In fact, the plan is to release numerous projects and products through the beginning of 2021! Start saving your silver and collecting your cash. The forthcoming release of “Orchesography”, the brand new orchestral album by Wang Chung, is only the beginning! The next 18 months or so will truly be the very best dance hall days the group’s legion of fans could fathom. So, let’s go!
    -----------------------

later

2. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Very cool that Vinny Vero is working on these! I wonder if there was any more Tim Friese-Greene produced stuff... I doubt it but that would be pretty cool.

I need to explore the albums after these three because I bought the singles from Mosaic but never the album itself and sort of stopped there. Anyone have opinions on Mosaic forward?

3. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Ooohh, if done right, the reissue of the To Live And Die In L.A. soundtrack is a must-have for me.

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’m looking forward to these:righton::cheers:

5. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Can't wait to get these, as well as Mosaic and The Warmer Side Of Cool. And I hope Taser Up will finally get a physical release with extra material as well!

Smartin62 likes this.
  6. negative1

what needs to be done right in your opinion. it's being remastered, and will probably have
    all the edits, remixes and demos on it.

all the studio albums, including tazer up! (i hate the exclamation mark), will be reissued on cd
    with extras, remixes, demos and possibly live tracks.

later

evillouie likes this.
  7. negative1

mosaic was average at best
    warmer side of cool was again subpar to average
    tazer up! was slightly better than average

there was a live album in 2016:
    Wang Chung - Playlist: The Very Best Of Wang Chung

[​IMG]

later

bataclan2002 and jamesc like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. Can't wait to see what the content consists of.

Maurice likes this.
  9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Missed opportunity here. Not in these releases, but for the opportunity for the OP to include "Everybody Wang Chung This Year!" in the title. :p

Eric_Generic and jamesc like this.
  10. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Very excited - but will be moreso if there are also hi-rez downloads available of all these titles

11. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

To be honest, I don't know much about what could potentially be on this set in the way of the standard "edits, remixes and demos." I always really liked the instrumental side of this album more than the vocal (although the title song is an absolute killer of a track.) I'd really love it if the set included any unused instrumental tracks and sketches that were left in the vault. I'd assume "Wake Up Screaming" ends up on it somewhere, as this was released on a 7" with a tagline saying "From the Geffen LP 'To Live...' " despite the song's absence on the original soundtrack. I've never heard it before, unless it actually is identical to or an instrumental of the album's "Wake Up, Stop Dreaming." So to hear that there's an entire second disc's worth of extra material is very tantalizing.

12. negative1

i hate that song completely, and can barely stand to listen to dubs if i have to.

i don't know if there will be or not, due to interest.

there are extended versions of 2 tracks, a few edits, and yes demos, and unreleased tracks also.

wake up screaming is just the wrong title, or an early title for the track, there are no other
    released versions at this point. its just the 7 inch edit.

there's an abundance of extra material for all the albums, so they tried to squeeze whatever
    they could find onto these editions, because they probably won't be released again.

it's better to do it right the first time.

later

Maurice likes this.
  13. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Ah, thanks for the heads up on the live album. I hate it when they market live albums as "best ofs".

I saw them at an 80s show a couple of years ago but it seemed like a hybrid of Nick and Cutting Crew doing the songs. I don't know if Jack was supposed to be there but bailed or if he was never part of the deal but they actually sounded quite good.

14. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

There is an extended version of Wake Up, Stop Dreaming on this 12" single: Wang Chung - Wake Up, Stop Dreaming (LP Version) I always loved that album and that track especially so I tracked down a copy and it's a pretty good version but my copy is pretty noisy so I'm hoping it makes it on to the new deluxe edition.

It's funny, I was a big fan of Wang Chung and Simple Minds and really loved their contributions to The Breakfast Club soundtrack but I kind of feel like that experience jinxed both bands. I've liked some stuff by both bands since then but nothing has moved me like the pre-Breakfast Club days. Just spun the To Live and Die in L.A. soundtrack the other night and it is still such a great album.

pwhytey and Maurice like this.
  15. negative1

yes, there are many budget releases, that call albums greatest hits, to confuse
    buyers, and mislead them into getting it, and finding out its a live album afterwards.

i've even seen albums save extended versions or remix, when it was just a live album, ughh.

i saw them live in the late 90's, and it was jack jughes, so i guess he had more time back then.
    now he's busy with a solo album, and other projects.

i have kept up with both bands since the 80's, and continue to do so through the ups and downs,
    simple minds has fared much better, with wang chung pretty much disappearing off the face of the
    earth, following several subpar attempts at coming back.

don't forget the 'to live and die in LA' (extended mix), i didn't about this until recently, its excellent:

i think it was dj paul t's excellent site that i discovered that mix, and many
    other wang chung tracks, check them out.

later

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I didn't know about either of those 12" versions until the last year or so. Probably learned about them here! I've had the To Live and Die 12" on my wishlist but it's pricey with shipping so I'll probably wait now to see how the DEs turn out.

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Please don’t screw these up with incorrect versions and needle drops.

18. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I'm am in on all of this!!!!

negative1 and evillouie like this.
  19. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I know there are some pre-FM vinyl live shows from the BBC and Westwood One, as well as an Innerview with Jim Ladd show from 1987. I wonder if any of these will used as bonus tracks on these reissues.

20. negative1

Did you guys even bother to read to message:

do you guys know who vinny vero is?

later

21. noname74

Right...it's never happened before that we've been told everything is sourced from tapes and then it turns out some of the obscure edits end up being needle drops.

zphage likes this.
  22. negative1

Not likely from him, and honestly do you care about those obscure edits even if they are. i dont.
    later

23. noname74

Look, you're taking this personally. I am not trying to insult you, Vinny, Larry, Curly or Moe. I am just saying many of these 80s reissues promise us the world in press releases but when the product comes out its riddled with errors....so I'm just saying I hope these sets live up to the hype as they sound like they'll be great if done properly.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. negative1

again, i don't really care if you believe me or not. why don't you wait until it comes out,
    there are pictures of the tapes in the booklets.

if you choose not believe it, that's your problem, and nothing will convince you anyways.

later

25. noname74

Jesus what a piece of work. I didn't say there will be screw ups...I said I hope there won't be any screw ups like many 80s reissues.

willy and Eric_Generic like this.