Tolkien film.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ty D. Tatman, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone go see it!? Care to post a review?

longdist01 likes this.
  2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

hopefully the Beren and Luthien storyline is well explored...

[​IMG]

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Saw it Sunday afternoon, didn't know it was out already. Excellent film though it's not endorsed by Tolkien estate.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Can't see it for awhile. It's the only "regular" feature playing at our indie cinema this week, but the other two auditoriums are taken up with the annual Jewish Film Festival (a load of unfamiliar features which all my friends we usually go with, are suddenly more motivated to see first). I am however, looking to learning more about Tolkien than I ever realized I didn't know.

longdist01 and guppy270 like this.
  5. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident Thread Starter

My, fairly mainstream but small, movie theatre picked it up. Can't imagine it stays long. I'm going to pop in and see it.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife Vickie saw it a couple of days ago. She Tweeted:

229) Tolkien @ RE21. Liked this a lot. Nicholas Hoult very good as the brilliant author. Movie goes from his orphaned childhood to just before writing The Hobbit, and how his school friends and fighting in WWI deeply affected his life. Lily Collins as his eventual wife Edith.

(229 is the number of films she has seen in the theater so far this year. RE21 is the AMC River East 21.)

longdist01 likes this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Skip the silly movie and read "The Letters Of J.R.R Tolkien" and "Tolkien: A Biography" instead to gain true insight into the man.

conjotter likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Some of us like watching movies.

It's not an either/or - seeing the Fellowship of the Ring got my wife to read the trilogy and The Hobbit. Seeing this "silly movie" might get some people to read a biography of Tolkien...were it not for the snobs.

9. Chris DeVoe

I managed to see it tonight and quite enjoyed it. The film cuts back and forth between his experiences in WWI and the rest of his life. The WWI scenes are gruesome and harrowing as you might expect, and a feverish Tolkien used this experience to create his War of the Ring and Mordor.

SandAndGlass, longdist01 and Murph like this.
  10. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I saw this tonight. Empty theater. Really good film with some outstanding acting. It kind of had a Dead Poets Society vibe about it. Recommended!

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Definitely recommended.

Chris DeVoe and Murph like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.