Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

My question kinda reads like an elementary school math word problem doesn't it.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t like either the One-Step or UHQR boxes. They’re just useless trinkets eating up precious real estate as far as I’m concerned.

bluesfan, LeeGriffin, mpayan and 3 others like this.
  3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

It all too much

4. Vinylfindco

If the could use the MOFI design on a Soria style slipcase we could all relax lol

5. Vinylfindco

I'm really on the fence about opening PIJ. I just automatically preordered it and I'm not a huge fan of it. If it was a show off audiophile recording I might be inclined to keep it but my bank account is reeling and an open copy won't really be worth all that much as far as it gaining value. But if I leave it sealed I would feel bad if I or someone else decided to open it and couldn't remedy a defect. Maybe I should return it. It's not like I have to collect them all. I passed on SRV and missed Abraxas so it's not essential like I'm completing a set.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  6. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I’d try to sell it opened above retail price in the classifieds on this forum. That way, people will know that they’re paying a premium to make sure that the records are correct, something that buyers on the forum like to do.

bluejimbop, Myke and CBackley like this.
  7. Vinylfindco

Yes you're right. I had to do the same with BOTW, the only one of which I bought two, because I felt that a knowledgeable buyer who would want it to play would appreciate it being checked and perfect rather than take a gamble.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  8. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

If it's not in the hot zone, now taking shape around #1975 - #1822, should it be a worry? What serial number is your box?

9. Vinylfindco

I'm going to open the carton and check now

10. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t open it yet. What # is your set?
    The # is on the back of the box

Most seem to be around the same edition #

11. Vinylfindco

It's #0655

MisterBritt likes this.
  12. Vinylfindco

I didn't open the album, just the shipping carton.

13. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Cool didn’t realize you meant shipping package. :)

scoutbb likes this.
  14. Vinylfindco

I have an OJC somewhere, I'm going to find it and give it a spin to see if it wins me over. I do have the two live albums that I like very much plus the first Evans one step version. Maybe it will grow on me enough to want to hold on to it. I've only really heard it recently through Spotify so I may not be getting the full impact.

15. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I think you are correct in doubting your getting the full impact on Spotify.

AnalogJ likes this.
  16. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

You won’t get the full impact on the OJC either IMO. I compared it to my One Step and the OJC was muffled in comparison. Like they used a cassette to master it or something.

tubesandvinyl and AnalogJ like this.
  17. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Glide, what was wrong on the BOTW, simarlity as the same as PIJ with a full side of SRV tracks instead PIJ? On the BOTW, is there an identifying matrix number I should look for?

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Good gosh open it

CBackley likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My copy of PIJ just got shipped. I'm away for two weeks, back Memorial Day. I'll spin it when I get back, and compare to my AP 45.

FashionBoy and SoundDoctor like this.
  20. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

I would also like to know... i work so much I have so little time to stay caught up here...

21. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Now up to three SRV and so far apart numbers....Yikes! And to think of how many buyers that do not reside on this forum etc...
    Obviously thay musta have grabbed the wrong stamper by the pressing machine. Sure it could happen and it's human to error etc. But what scares me is that the mistake was apparently not discovered at the pressing machine. Then they would not let the SRV LP's continue to packaging. So maybe a whole run of a stamper like 500-600 are faulty? Between 1820 to 1975 is 155 pressings that most likely are affected if they were manufactured and packed in sequel. Who knows?

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Do we know that the numbers actually correspond with the order the discs were pressed?

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

SoundDoctor likes this.
  24. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

I received 1069 and it is correct, flat disk and a good listen. Sleeve 2 is creased and I'll be calling to get replacements. I can live with the mild scuffing but not the crease, so since I'm calling I'll ask for both sleeves.

MisterBritt likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Haha. That's a good one.

It's outta the retailer's hands. They don't collate and seal the box. Unless MoFi orders that the box be loaded differently, we're going to continue to have the problem.