Patrick Stewart to Reprise 'Star Trek' Role in New 'Star Trek Picard' Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 4, 2018.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/05/13/st...be-available-internationally-on-amazon-prime/

Today, CBS Studios International announced an exclusive deal with Amazon for the upcoming Star Trek Picard series starring Sir Patrick Stewart. It is set to stream on Prime Video in 200 countries and territories outside of the U.S.A. and Canada. Each episode of the series will be available on Amazon Prime within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.

supermd, jtiner, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Interesting that CBS is doubling-down their bets and putting the show on their own CBS All-Access and Amazon as well.

melstapler and jtiner like this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess Netflix has had enough!

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Or perhaps CBS had enough of Moonves' anti-Trek attitude.

I wonder how Sumner Redstone and his daughter are getting along these days...

5. budwhite

[​IMG]
    Close enough. One of the producers posted this pic yesterday

melstapler and marmalade166 like this.
  6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The series title has been officially announced as “Star Trek: Picard.” Not exactly an out of left field title.

melstapler and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

If it's any good and doesn't suffer from the stylized CG-heavy production almost every single show suffers from, I won't care one bit what they decided to name it. :)

Hopefully, the writing will be more imaginative than the title leads us to think. :laugh:

jtiner and Encuentro like this.
  8. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I really want to like this. So many great memories.

Encuentro likes this.
  9. budwhite

I was expecting that even though they denide it.
    Great choice. Now everyone knows what the show is about.

I wonder what Picard's rank is?
    Is he retired and gets drawn back in for dome reason or is he an Admiral working at HQ?

10. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Hopefully this will be successful and lead to a Worf series with Michael Dorn. In previous years, I've read where Dorn expressed interest in doing a new series and Worf is a strong character as well.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, he and Q open up a bakery...hilarity ensues...

johnsiddique and Smokin Chains like this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

A better choice and potentially more interesting (than section 31, if they're still doing that rubbish) name would have been Star Trek: Locutus. Either way, hopefully they'll get new showrunners.

13. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

A bakery that sells sexy cakes?

[​IMG]

14. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

marmalade166 and Encuentro like this.
  15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Being that the show is going to focus on one character, Picard, I’m guessing that this is going to be more of a character driven show. I wonder if Picard’s Irumodic Syndrome, introduced in All Good Things, is going to play a part.

16. Drew

Drew Senior Member

First teaser

supermd, sunspot42, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yep, looks like Irumodic Syndrome.

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

And already the complaining has started. Wrong delta, wrong font, blah blah blah.

supermd likes this.
  19. budwhite

This works for us in the old world

Great to see the Picard again, even if it's in a wine comercial :pleased:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I think people are looking for the Picard they new and remembered. Old school science fiction and space adventure. Let's get the whole band back together. rah rah rah.

I think this has a lot of potential. Remember Picard's brother and nephew died at the beginning of one of the theatrical movies and he was pretty distraught by that. Exploring what would've driven him back to the grape farm could be interesting. And that's coming from a guy who's been luke warm about Discovery.

melstapler likes this.
  21. will_b_free

Yeah I've seen a video or two complaining that Picard is old. One didn't understand why a retired Admiral is wearing civilian clothes (a question that essentially answers itself - as did the narration). Maybe some of the naysayers simply go negative with their YouTube reaction-videos because they believe it will drive conversation.

I liked it. Yes, the camerawork was derivative of Terrence Malick or any 1990s wine commercial, but the warm honey/sepia tone is meant to set the vineyard in a world apart from whatever will call Picard back to Starfleet - obviously.

As for the narration - was that supposed to be Michael from Discovery? She'd be like 300 years old so I guess not (she's human, not a long-lived Vulcan, isn't she?) but it sounded like her. UPDATE: narrator is Merrin Dungey, so, not Michael. Sure sounds Vulcan-like though.

I did not remember from the 2009 Star Trek film that Romulus was destroyed in the "real" Star Trek universe. (Romulus was destroyed in the "real" Trek universe, while in the alternate JJ Abrams Trek universe Vulcan was destroyed instead of, or in addition to, Romulus).

So the "rescue armada" likely refers to the rescue of Romulans. And the purposely vague reference that is mentioned next, of the "rescue armada" being followed by the "unimaginable", suggests to me that a conflict between humanity and the surviving Romulans arose. Since it is implied that Picard may have lost faith in humanity, it leads to the possibility that Earth rejected the Romulans - humanity failing to live up to its noble ideals. Saving them, but then not willing to live with them. Or perhaps the Romulans were relocated to Vulcan, which would make more sense since they're near each other, and then there was a civil war on Vulcan between the Romulans and the Vulcans, and the Earth failed to intervene in the conflict - which Picard would again view as a moral failure of humanity.

Or, the "unimaginable" simply is a placeholder for an idea the showrunners will come up with later.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    budwhite, BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That trailer is useless. We get a single 3-secs shot of Patrick Stewart's face.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It never ends!

Wait a minute: I thought that planet Vulcan was destroyed in the 2009 Star Trek movie! My head is spinning with all these different timeline versions...

24. will_b_free

Be assured, the planet Vulcan is fine in Picard's timeline. Here, this chart makes it easy to understand. (Sure it does).

[​IMG]

BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]