Northern Soul

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WLL, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The US market is such a monolith that we've got to look to the UK for some balance.

GreenNeedle and Greenalishi like this.
  2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

A very offensive one.

dmiller458 likes this.
  3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Cherry Darling, after having her leg ripped off my zombies "I was gonna be a stand-up comedian. Who's gonna laugh now?"
    El Wray "Some of the best jokes are about cripples."

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. lazydawg58

Some of the Beach Music records here in the Southeastern US and UK Northern Soul records intersect. There are literally thousands of Beach Music record collections sitting in closets, basements and pack houses here in NC. There are hundreds of part time DJs with collections. I'm willing to bet that there are some great Northern Soul 45s packed away waiting to be discovered. I don't really know what is important in the UK but if I get my hands on a collection I'll certainly start researching.

troggy, Greenalishi and dmiller458 like this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So, not about the Verve album?

/out

uzn007 likes this.
  6. lazydawg58

It isn't working.

dmiller458 likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Somewhere and somehow the old Ska records infiltrated the NS scene as DJs mixed it up a bit. I’m not sure what qualifies- but it might be a rarer item, vintage sounding, and previously unheard by the masses. So it’s again being part of this exclusive scene of rare tracks that went under the radar mostly.

Somerset Scholar and Greenalishi like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What’s the best Northern Soul comp cd?

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Nobody can agree on that - plus the tracks are spread out, so far out that licensing is about impossible.

Most comps include many tracks that are not so rare, they fit in musically pretty good, but are common early Motown hits. A slightly lesser known Martha Reeves or Marveletts hit that charted, but maybe not top 10. Or they fill up the running order with some not so hot tracks not worth hearing again. My two cents.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Yeah guess this is a very individual subjective.
    I like the very fast songs myself.

11. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Absolutely.It was a very English cultural thing. (I'm a Yorkshire exile :D). Respectfully, people from outside the UK, and especially not from the north of England, can't really understand fully.

Suffice to say, it was a pretty big phenonemon when I was a lad. I personally hated it, but there you go !

Somerset Scholar and Bassist like this.
  12. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Why on earth the hate ?

I don't like Country and Western music, but I don't detest the term ! :rolleyes:

Can't you just let other people enjoy whatever they want to enjoy. It's OK for people to enjoy what you perceive as songs that 'aren't all that good' :rolleyes:

Northern Soul isn't/wasn't my cup of tea, but good luck to those people who get joy from it.

GreenNeedle and alexpop like this.
  13. alexpop

It’s just name tag don’t see the problem myself.

14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

So is Country and Western :D :D

What about Southern Rock ? Popular in Brighton I assume :D

15. alexpop

Name tags ..music genre descriptions I don’t have a problem with most of them.

16. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Me too :)

17. alexpop

“most of which deserved to stay obscure or buried”

Unfamiliar with the older thread ( or forget ).

What’s wrong in particular with the music that should remain obscure, can you please give examples?

Wugged likes this.
  18. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Pastafarian, Mbe and Wugged like this.
  19. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Part Two

Mbe and Wugged like this.
  20. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

.... and this is the Paul Mason Culture Show documentary from the year before. Being a leading politics and economics journalist in the UK, as well as a bona fide fan of the music, it's a cut above your normal BBC talking head documentary. The footage of him trying to recreate the dance steps of his youth are priceless.

21. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

...As far as NS docs, there is a pretty well-known contemporary documentary on the subject, done by a well-known " indie " direction for a commercial Brit channel, not the Been - It"s on YT, I haven't seen it in a while, I should watch it again.
    It boasts gen-yoo-wine club footage of flared NS fans on the floor I think that footage has been sampled for later NS film projects I recall Judy Street's pre-Soft Cell version of " What " being in the doc. The doc had some interviewee exploring the closing down or whatever of some NS clubs with no explanation of what was being referred to - Talk about eschewing the (U.S. traditional Edward R.Murrow/Walter Chronkite) talking head spproach! The doc did show us some lefty activist with no apparent NS interest selling a Trotskyite:confused:?? newspaper - to illustrate some intended It"s Grim Up North scenario:confused:?

Bassist likes this.
  22. alexpop

Stanley Mitchell ~ Get It Baby
    Robert Knight~ Branded.

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I don't live in the UK anymore but I'm sure that there is less of a divide now than there used to be in the 70s. I remember when I moved from Manchester to London, Southerners did sort of look down on Northeners - though in a chumy way. Hey, that makes me think of Harry & Paul's take on that:

dmiller458 and alexpop like this.
  24. lazydawg58

Gregg Allman on the term, Southern Rock. "That is like saying Rock Rock."

25. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

So many Northern Soul compilations but all seem to be missing my favourite artist from the genre Donny Elbert. Little Piece of Leather, Whete Did Ouf Love Go and Cant Help Myself are Northern Soul Classics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.