Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Or better yet, an ending like No Country For Old Men. Fades to black with Dany just staring at the camera (No Country For Mad Queens.)

Or an ending like Sopranos. Fade to Black in mid sentence.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    GodShifter likes this.
  2. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Or better yet it'll be like Jurrasic park and 3 Dannys will be surrounding Jon Snow, Arya and Tyrion and just as Danny is about to attack them and it's all over out of nowhere it's Drogon! And he kills one Danny and one of the other Dannys jumps on Drogon and starts biting and clawing him as they all escape from the throne room and Stannis shows up and Jon is all "I've decided not to endorse your claim to the throne" and Stannis is like "So have I" and they all escape Kings landing in a helicopter.

Bobby Buckshot and SquishySounds like this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Good to see I'm not the only one that doesn't know when to put down the bong!;)

4. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I expect lots of butthurt despite whatever they do

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I am not reacting to anything. Just saying how I see things, which is my right.

Joker to the thief likes this.
  6. Wolverine 05

Wolverine 05 Forum Resident

We will agree to disagree. They writers spent way more time developing her character as a contrast to her brother and her family history than to tie her to it. In fact they actually had her speak various lines on several occasions where she denounced the past actions of her family. They had several characters show loyalty and love for her solely on the basis of her good character and intentions in direct contrast to other characters who sought the throne for power or revenge. I also do not agree that they have laid the groundwork for her going mad. They have used an occasional line or scene to show anger but that is not the same as madness. I would also point out that John has the same blood in him so you can't just use the excuse that it is hereditary to justify lazy writing.

Deesky likes this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Maybe, it'll end like "Serial Mom"!
    Dani turns to Tyrion, Arya, & Jon, smiles happily, and they smile back at her, nervously:
    "ARYA STARK! THIS IS MY BAD SIDE!"

8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Yeah, that's what's driving the commentary. She's essentially been sipping wine and mugging while raking in the dough. The kids these days call it "finessing the game" lol.

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

But Varys says at the start of the episode (something like) when a Targaryen is born the gods toss a coin to determine if they are mad or not, so it doesn't follow that Jon would be the same.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

He also adds that he knows how Jon's coin landed and wasn't 100% sure about Dany although he was leaning heavily on the mad side, he was right.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Why? Because Jon’s coin landed the right way? Jon as a Targaryen has just as much chance of madness but he’s not a inbred the like the rest so maybe that helps?

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm going to double down on this for the final, the negativity around the last episode surprised me especially the fans who were caught off guard by Dany going nuclear. It makes me wonder if they were paying attention at all since the beginning. All the signs were there that she had those traits in her, she used violence several times to achieve her goals and permanently silence critics. The only difference this time was scale. She's on her own now protected by what appears to be a growing army? I don't think anyone will take a run at her now that's my guess. Alone, in power and ruling by fear.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Sorry bud, my post kind of repeated yours. I was writing and not paying attention.

Deuce66 likes this.
  14. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I also think the nights watch and being raised a bastard along side his "nobel" brothers humbled him in a way that having thousands of people fall to their knees at Danny's feet quite clearly didn't for her.

15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Didn't HBO already do that with Westworld?

GentleSenator likes this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

All that’s very true and grounding, but it still doesn’t mean he could snap.

Never the less, a bit of a silly argument. Cheers :)

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Doesn’t Varys kill Kevan Lannister in the books? I’m pretty sure he does. Maybe towards the end of book five?

Ed Hughes likes this.
  18. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

If it took the two cleverest people in Westeros seven and a bit seasons to start to have doubts about Denaerys, then I’d argue that her turn to the dark side wasn’t adequately foreshadowed.

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's one way to look at it. Underneath that, no one would like being raised by a mother who didn't want him and barely talked to him, and by a father who favored the other kids...and never told him about his real mother/true identity. Let him join the Nights Watch and headed down to KL without bothering to tell him the truth.

I'm surprised. I always saw Varys as a notch above Littlefinger. Both were very manipulative, powerful and ruthless in their own ways--the difference being that Varys could relate more to the downtrodden and it gave him a more earnest and ethical demeanor. But ultimately he was just an opportunist looking for ways to ingratiate himself to different leaders.

20. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Apparently, they've done some math: Calculating the Ecological Impact of Game of Thrones' Dragons

But there are problems I have with their method:
    1. Their calculations are done with cows. Are there cows in Westeros?
    2. They used a "modified von Bertalanffy equation rather than an asymptotic sigmoidal curve". :tsk:
    3. There is no mention of fire-breathing capability, and they seem to assume no city destroying activities.

brew ziggins and SJP like this.
  21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Dany's dark side was previously aimed at those who deserved it rather than innocents throughout King's Landing. Tyrion and Varys observed a cascade of loss under their watch and came to distinctly different conclusions as to what was likely to happen. Tyrion the optimist remained blind while Varys the realist saw things crystal clear and paid with his life when he tried to do something about it.

For what it's worth, I think Dany's story arc was predictable (as in set up well by prior events) and appropriate. It wouldn't surprise me if this result wasn't part of GRRM's outline for the endgame.

The original problem they were solving assumes the dragons are living on Earth. Very cool article though!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Dinstun likes this.
  22. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

I don’t believe that’s the source of the negativity. There was plenty of foreshadowing that made it clear that it was possible and maybe even likely that Daenerys would go mad, but the writing has been so piss-poor that there was no actual character development to demonstrate her future tendencies. It’s not fair to point to her acts of violence in the past as examples, all of which I’d view as a necessity for any future queen/king living in the context of that world.

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I frankly thought the setup was for Jon/Aegis to join Daeny in going evil. That didn't happen of course, which has two narratives left unresolved.

1. Jon hasn't fully accepted or fully rejected his real identity. The show could leave it hanging, but some resolution is probably coming.
    2. Now that Jon still appears "good" and Daeny has gone "bad," they are on a collision course.

24. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

that depends on the motivation of dany and her reasons ;-)

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm not sure that's accurate. The show methodically set up the holocaust as a Machiavellian gambit, a calculated decision by Daeny to be feared rather than loved so she could pursue her supposed destiny of ruling in peace for a long time. That makes her evil, ruthless, violent, etc., but it doesn't make her "mad"...she can't plead insanity. She took a long pause in that "for whom the bell tolls" interlude, decided she needed to burn down the city, and did it.

tommy-thewho and JackBnimble like this.