Are Speakers Corner LPs Worth The Money?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Spotmaticfanatic, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Gray market labels offer spotty quality at best. Most likely digital masters, sometimes even pressing ripped CDs onto vinyl! Yes, it has happened.

Research your titles carefully. For instance, there's a NM-condition Classic Records pressing of Tijuana Moods selling for a mere $30 US.

Charles Mingus - Tijuana Moods (Vinyl, , 1997) For Sale | Discogs

Don't ever spend money on DOL, WaxTime, or any of these terrible terrible brands. At that point, why not just get a CD? It'd definitely sound better! For vinyl, stick with the good names for a great experience. Otherwise, what's the point?

2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Speakers Corner is not a 'Gray market label' - they are one of the best reissues labels in the business. They use top tapes, engineers, and equipment.
    And they are all analog.

Stonehenge, Korato69 and scotti like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

I was referring to the labels mentioned at the bottom ; DOL, WaxTime. Did you read the OP?

4. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I did.
    I did not pick that up in your post - no worries.
    Cheers.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. Stankey

Stankey Well-Known Member

I heard the Elton John Yellow Brick Road LP from the 90s is very good. Too bad it costs like $200 or something. For things like that i don't see the worth personally.

6. It is very good, but I understand the price of entry for this OOP title can be a bit much for many. I'd love a copy of the Mofi UHQR of DSOTM, but the price is just not worth it for me.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

8. theprivateer

theprivateer Active Member

The one thing I’ve learned is that prices just keep going up for quality pressings. $50-60 for an audiophile reissue seems to be the norm now.

If peace of mind (that you’re getting excellent sound quality which will scale up well with your system upgrades) matters to you, then it’s wel worth it to buy fewer but better, I guess.

9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just picked up a couple of their Jazz releases...got the 1967 Freddie Hubbard album "Backlash" which was his first on Atlantic after Blue Note. Side one has bit of a "Soul" feel to it but still swings with a great Jazz beat throughout. The second side has a stronger Jazz sound to it with hints of the avant-garde in places. Very nice job with the sound (stereo), and well worth getting if a fan of Freddie's.

The other title I got is the 1955 classic from Lee Konitz with Warne Marsh. Got exposed to Konitz from his playing on "The Birth Of Cool". This is one incredible album, done in mono and sounds absolutely fantastic! Of course this just screams "Cool Jazz" throughout and obviously coming from the influence of the Lennie Tristano school of Cool...The album starts off with "Topsy" which was recorded by both Basie and Goodman back in the late 30's. This is one of the highlights of the album and one of my favorite Jazz songs, ever so Cool! This Speakers Corner version is highly recommended.

I paid $72 for both titles and yes to my ears, well worth the spend!

ToniFromMars and stefane like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

The only annoying thing to me is how they tend to lean towards the bright side.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Might depend on the release...I do not have many titles from them, but I also bought the Dr. John - Gris Gris when it was released and that one sounds awesome!

12. Strat-Mangler

Did you compare to a first US pressing? My point is they're bright most of the time in comparison.

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Have to be honest as no I have not, but a friend of mine has both and claims the original is not near as open sounding and not as lifelike as the SC version (Dr. John)...Not sure what titles you have by them and I still feel when they are done right like the three titles I mentioned, they sound really nice, worth the spend. Kevin Gray mastered the Gris Gris "SC" version and knocked it out of the park!

Now to your point, I have compared the SC version of a friend's BOC - Secret Treaties and I will stand by my original first pressing on this one. Your statement is a bit broad since no titles were mentioned, but of course really appreciate your insight.

stefane likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Boosted highs will give that "more open" feeling. In my system, it can easily be too much.

Kevin Gray usually does a terrific job, I agree :)

scotti likes this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Interesting statement, because the openness I am referring to is similar to that of the way 45 RPM audiophile vinyl sounds...not hearing the boosted highs you are referring to as the more open vinyl sounds, the better it breathes evenly though the speakers. Of course that depends on what type of system - speakers/turntable setup you are running. The speakers I listen to took around 100 hours to fully break in and deliver the right sound as they were a bit bright at first...

16. Strat-Mangler

You're right. There is a difference between boosted highs and natural openness caused by better sources and superior mastering. I was referring to the former ; not the latter.

It was more of a general comment in my experience with SC pressings. The vinyl is flawless ; flat, centered, quiet. The mastering tends to be very good. Some I've heard were too bright for my tastes but I understand how some might prefer it that way.

scotti likes this.
  17. That's certainly the case with my copies of Oscar Peterson - Night Train and The Byrds - Greatest Hits.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  18. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I agree with this statement. I have ca 30 of their releases and I have been very happy with the mastering, normally as good as on the Mofi and AP releases IMO. And quality control far better than AP, who really need to step up.

stefane likes this.
  19. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual. Thread Starter

I just received my copy of Tijuana Moods by Mingus today. Wonderful! Really full sounding, with rich bass. Very, very happy with it.

Jerry James and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  20. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Got my first Speakers Corner today, Mingus-The Clown, and....I'm bummed. Not that it doesn't sound great music wise,it really does. The problem is Snap,Crackle,Pop brought the Rice Crispies with it. When I pulled it out of the sleeve there was no feel of static,LP was perfectly clean, centered,flat, but the lead in groove was nasty sounding and it just kept up the whole time,side 2 was worse.:disgust: I'm not a non-fill expert but I'm wondering if that's the problem because I've heard less noisy, ravaged, 30 year old Goodwill records.I wanted this to be gold, a keeper. The bass on Haitian Fight Song is so real and just everything about this LP was a home run except the noise. I'm feeling spooked because that's 2 in a row for me with problems the other being an Impex Legrand Jazz with some schmutz that cleaned off but it had a weird little squiggle scratch with the groove that started to bug me even though it was a short few pops and clicks. I almost kept it but I feel snake-bit now and scared to order anything new. Anybody else had any noise problems with their SC The Clown?

21. Strat-Mangler

They're all pressed at the same factory, one of the best in the world. Every one I've had has been utterly flawless in every way.

If you ordered from a dealer, have them replace it. What you got isn't normal.

danomar, Classicrock, Myke and 3 others like this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have many Speakers Corner. All excellent. Still very fair price over here. Many of the best titles have gone OOP thanks to the majors putting out their own versions. Have Crime Of the Century, GYBR (both OOP), Transformer and Horses. Also quite a few Santana including the only briefly available reissue of Lotus. Most recently 2 Blue Oyster Cult titles. Pressed at Pallas which currently produces the best pressings IMO.

Strat-Mangler and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  23. colinandrew12

colinandrew12 Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, I opened up a copy of The Clown today, after having nothing but good experiences with SC pressings, and encountered the same thing you did. I couldn’t believe it. I wet-cleaned mine prior to play. Side 1 was totally fine...one or two pops but that’s about it...but side 2....MAN....the ENTIRE. SIDE. Ticks and pops. MADDENING! That’s actually how I ended up on this thread, just looking to see if ANYONE had this happening. I KNEW it had to be something with the pressing. Now, it’s confirmed! I’ve seen a few say there’s no way it’s the pressing, but they also didn’t say that they have this specific title and have listened to it. It’s definitely the pressing. What a bummer. Great album with lots of quiet passages. Oh well.

24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your experience, lets me know I wasn't the only one. Although, a few weeks after I returned mine I did get a nice e-mail reply from the return dept. agreeing with me that the copy I had was noisy and defective.

25. colinandrew12

colinandrew12 Well-Known Member

That’s good! Did you get a replacement copy that WASN’T noisy?