Combined shipping: shall I rate this eBay transaction "neutral"?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Laibach, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry, I do apologise I failed to see the effort you and others put into replying here. If anything I might just leave the transaction unrated as someone suggested above, not that that is what I'm going to finally do but it's a possibility.

As for "seller's worst nightmare" I highly disagree. I've never done a single return of LPs, CDs, whatever. Returns are a much bigger issue, inconsiderate and mean. People actually take advantage of others selling on the Internet. I'm not a religious person, but as I rule of thumb I don't do to others what I don't want them to do to me.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Communication is a 2-way street. That's problem #1.

2nd problem is your inability to initiate one now and instead resort to a calculated passive-aggressive move by leaving a neutral feedback entry.

You're the absolute worst type of buyer that exists. Please don't ever buy anything from me.

Fantastic logic. In 2 sentences, you've shoot yourself in the foot.

1. There is no such obligation.
    2. So-called good customer service is a matter of opinion and believe it or not, your opinion is radically different than most people's.
    3. You never instructed the seller to do anything.

So, you're an impatient cheap petty buyer who is holding another party responsible for your action (or in this case inaction). Got it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  3. Laibach

And what are your thoughts on the buyer capitalising on those shipping savings? Would you do that to others? Hey I could have charged you $90 but instead charged you $100 have a good day! must everyone behave like that? One thing is commercial profit and a very different one is taking advantage of others.

4. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Taking advantage of you?

Who was too lazy, too busy or whatever to get discounted shipping?

Nowadays buyers in general are worse in communication and in manners in general. I used to go out of my way for buyers, but now I act exactly like the seller in your example. Shipping discounts for people who contact me before or after shipping, no discounts for people who don't care.

5. Strat-Mangler

Firstly, you modified the quote to show it originating from a different member. Don't do that again. It creates confusion and puts words in other people's mouths.

Secondly, you're assuming all sorts of things and jumping to wild conclusions. Maybe the shipping service was upgraded to provide you with the package quicker. Maybe it is an action the seller got distracted and would be doing so later. Maybe doing so would entail a lot of red tape to go through and he can't be bothered.

The fact is you don't know anything and because of your inability to initiate communication with sellers, you're left with your assumptions. I have no pity for you whatsoever. You are an impulsive unpredictable irrational uncommunicative buyer who symbolizes the very reason loads of people opt to sell locally via CraigsList instead.

You could have communicated with the seller prior to the transactions. You could have communicated with seller before creating this thread. You could *still* communicate with the seller to clarify matters now. Will you do it? Quite unlikely that you will. Well, then... tough cookies.

Most auction pages have a blurb at the bottom practically BEGGING buyers to contact the seller if there's any issue whatsoever before leaving negative feedback. Sellers will always be on the losing end if they have to deal with buyers like you who'd rather tarnish the reputation of a seller who delivered exactly what was promised rather than send a message.

With the amount of energy, time, and effort you've wasted reading and writing in this thread, you could have sent a dozen messages to this seller. Instead you opt to continue defending your (in)action. Again, I have no pity or empathy for you whatever. And I repeat my previous statement. You are the absolute worst type of buyer one could ever face. A perfect transaction resulting in a negative (or maybe neutral) feedback entry with no opportunity from the seller to address your concern.

You're a class-act all the way. o_O

[​IMG]

WarEagleRK, Dave, bicyclops and 2 others like this.
  6. jcure

jcure Forum Resident

So now it's about the money? Wasn't this all about a "lack of communication (lack of trust indeed)" with the savings being "minimal, negligible maybe"? The simple fact of the matter is you got EVERYTHING that you bargained for - two LPs delivered to you, on time and in perfect condition, for the amount you agreed to pay.

You came here thinking everyone would commiserate with you. You asked for our opinions/advice. Either take them or pound sand.

7. Laibach

Sorry I can’t respond to everyone now. It’s not about the money. It’s the act in itself, the behavior and the practice.

Like I said earlier if he had talked to me before dispatching the box I would have had no objection. The fact is he didn’t. How could this be about the money if I accepted his price and his shipping costs without hesitation?

Again if everyone behaved this way never being empathetic nor doing business in a manner that I benefited my customer, where are the ethics, I know business is like that but I can make it a difference by rating this either neutral or negative.

8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

What is your eBay name?

nick99nack, SJP, NaturalD and 4 others like this.
  9. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

The seller did everything right.

Where is your empathy?

Do you have "customers" in real life? How do you treat them?

Dave, bicyclops, Spitfire and 3 others like this.
  10. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Leave positive. No question. He did a perfect job.

WarEagleRK, Dave, bicyclops and 2 others like this.
  11. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Nobody likes neutral feedback for following all the rules either. If you got nothing nice to say perhaps try not saying anything. Your hole keeps getting deeper with each post.

Dave, bicyclops and Strat-Mangler like this.
  12. Laibach

Believe it or not I work in distribution -we fulfill orders on a daily basis. I can assure what this guy did to me I would never do to any of my customers. Too bad you cannot talk to them for testimony, they keep returning to our business and for this reason some wouldn't even consider buying elsewhere.

13. Christian Hill

Believe it....................not

14. Strat-Mangler

Yes, it is. Otherwise, why do you care?

That's an inability to be introspective. Are you allergic to accountability? What about *your* behavior and inaction? Are you willing to take any responsibility whatsoever for this preventable mountain out of a molehill you've needlessly created?

If you had talked to the seller before buying the items, none of this would be an issue. The fact is you didn't.

Exactly. You ACCEPTED the costs and are now acting as if you did not. Again, you are at fault for not engaging the seller prior to buying. Don't accept and then act indignant!

None of this is anything less than gibberish. Proofread and then I can dismantle the entire foundation of whatever reasoning you're attempting to convey. I can do this all day...

You have no leg to stand on, not a soul sees you as being in the right, and yet you are unable to accept your part in this.

Myself and other members in this thread are mentally blacklisting you from the Classifieds section. You brought up trust but can't be trusted to stick by what you've accepted, to take accountability for your actions, to talk to a seller if there's a concern, and have shown to be prone to jumping to conclusion... and would rather post a negative feedback entry than send an email. Therefore, you aren't a trustworthy buyer.

You talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

You'd be OK with your customers cutting off all communication and posting negative reviews about your business on Google, Yelp, and wherever else instead of picking up a phone or sending an email at the slightest issue, real or imagined?

Dale A B, bicyclops and formu_la like this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I won't chime in with what kind of feedback you should leave but IMO, if you intend to leave any feedback other than positive you should message the seller first.

I would send him a polite message, explaining your position. You don't even have to ask for compensation if you don't want to, but I think you should let him know as he may offer you some compensation.

I have no idea what his intentions were but I've purchased multiple items from the same sellers before and when I went to pay it was set up to charge me a separate charge for each item. Later the seller sent me an updated invoice and in some cases I have to remind them to do so. The seller might not have noticed and you might have paid quick enough for him not to notice. Then he packed them up and sent them together. Or he might thought "More money for me!" :) Point is, you don't know either way. So I would message him first. I think this is a pretty simple problem to solve and I would not be surprised if the seller refunds you a few dollars.

Laibach likes this.
  16. Laibach

Hi, I do stand behind everything I've said here. With all due respect to you and your colleagues I do have an impecable eBay account and have been one of its fist members since the early 2000s. People from whom I've bought mostly thank me for instant payment, an ideal transaction without returns or complaints. I don't often give neutral ratings either, this might be the first one (and probably a negative where I was sent the wrong item but did not return it). In any case I don't have to demonstrate anything to anyone and I appreaciate the genuine advice I got from a few members, I did open the thread in the hope that I could alter my thinking but some responses might have just served to reinforce my initial sentiment.

tmtomh likes this.
  17. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How much money are we talking here?

18. Strat-Mangler

Because sellers can't leave negative feedback on buyers. That's meaningless, sorry.

Again, because sellers can't post negative feedback. You also don't return or complain as you'd rather post negative feedback instead of giving the chance to any seller to make things right.

Another defensive response.

Yeah, right. You had your mind made up from the beginning and no amount of people telling you you're wrong and acting in a petty gratuitously vengeful fashion for no good reason is enough to convince you. Par for the course and wholly predictable.

I've nevertheless thoroughly enjoyed cutting down all of your pitiful arguments so it's at least been entertaining. Just don't be surprised if you're ever refused a purchase from any of the fine members who've read your story. The biggest takeaway from this thread is "don't sell to this guy as you'll likely be sorry".

19. Laibach

I'm going to borrow some of your words here "another offensive response". As somebody else mentioned you could leave negative feedback for buyers in the past and I do remind you that I'm an early member of eBay and have been buying since the days that ability existed. Besides, you still don't know how I'm going to end up rating this seller, or do you?

20. Strat-Mangler

Sorry you find my dismantling of your thoroughly faulty logic regarding gratuitously tarnishing a seller's reputation as being "offensive".

That ability hasn't been in effect for 7 years. For all we know, you've had a 7-year run of being a bad buyer. If we borrow a page from your book, we can just assume so and not bother asking you for any clarification. :righton:

It's no secret how you plan on rating the seller. I wish I could say you have the ability to surprise me but you've shown to be quite stubborn and incapable of acknowledging the merit in anyone else's POV but your own, no matter how flawed and irrational your thinking is.

You've also conveniently not responded to my direct question about whether you'd be OK with your customers cutting off all communication and posting negative reviews about your business at the slightest issue, real or imagined. You've mentioned your ethics being such that you won't do onto others what you don't wish for them to do to you. Funny how easily and quickly those self-righteous soundbites go out the window, huh? ;)

bicyclops and Christian Hill like this.
  21. Laibach

Well I do find some of your arguments quite offensive, but since this is an Internet forum I guess it's normal.

"You're wrong and acting in a petty gratuitously vengeful fashion"
    " you've shown to be quite stubborn" (*
    Here you're actually complimenting me)
    " this preventable mountain out of a molehill you've needlessly created"

Regarding the question of my customers they're free to write down whatever opinion they wish whether it's good or bad, whether they consult me beforehand or not. I prefer them all were good but after years of experience I can tell you it's not possible to please everybody all the time. I give personal attention to all of my customers but if I didn't please one or two (or three) we regret it but the only thing we can do is to move on and hope that eventually the customer will return after he's calmed down or after experiening the service provided by our competitors.

uzn007 likes this.
  22. Christian Hill

instant karma's gonna get you......

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  23. Laibach

If it hasn't already...

24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I'm sorry this thread has gotten a little acrimonious. I've no doubt you are a good, longstanding eBay member as you say. For what it's worth, I have two main thoughts in response to your original post:
    1. Saving money on shipping costs is not shady behavior by a seller, as long as the items are packed well and the chosen shipping method is reasonable. I've received very well-packed, quickly shipped items from sellers, but it was clear from the postage label that they likely used a postage machine at work, meaning their out-of-pocket shipping cost was zero. I file that under "Not My Business/Concern" and move on. Similarly, most sellers pad shipping a little bit to help offset eBay fees, PayPal fees, and gas/time. Any experienced buyer has a good sense of whether a seller is padding a little, or really trying to take advantage - postage rates are quite similar no matter where the parcel is shipping from or going to (within the continental U.S., anyway).
    2. Having a view or concern does not have to equal giving negative or neutral feedback. There's nothing wrong with messaging the seller to say that you appreciate the packing job but are a little surprised that the seller charged you $X for shipping when they combined the items and clearly paid only $Y. But why not give them a chance to offer you a small partial refund, or maybe to politely not offer a refund but to say you have a point and they will clarify in future listings that they might ship multiple items together? You always can give neutral feedback after that interaction if you feel strongly about it.

WarEagleRK, Dave, nick99nack and 2 others like this.
  25. Christian Hill

Excelsior

Vinyl Addict likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.