Worst Edit you've ever heard...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Apollo C. Vermouth, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

The radio edit of the Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner. "Funky kicks going down in the city"?

The radio edit of Brown Eyed Girl is up there too.

jdicarlo and Jarleboy like this.
  2. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

Not hearing the problem with this one - I can see how you might argue it on an aesthetic level, but technically it sounds fine.

3. dharma bum

dharma bum Forum Resident

Kiss - Detroit Rock City (45 single) ...which I believe was edited with a chainsaw.

dave9199 likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I am. I got the 1995 remix CD and then got an original Track mono LP about ten years later. I'd read about the cleaner incident in the booklet but wasn't expecting it to be that bad, with a chunk missing! Does the original stereo mix not have that bad edit?

5. central616

central616 Forum Resident

That's why I'm happy with Meddle. I sold the compilation, and never missed it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

If can't think of a band less suited to compilations than Pink Floyd. At least post Meddle. I've just remembered Relics is great and flows very well.

goodiesguy and Jarleboy like this.
  7. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

The same thing with the Yes Roundabout single. It's jarring.

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. sixtieswerebest

That final chord of ROB was definitely tacked on.

Lexhibit and AppleCorp3 like this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've heard those radio edits hundreds of times. In the studios, as I've played them. Under headphones.
    They sound competantly-engineered, and expertly-re-inserted into the context of the original recordings.

Once you get right with the idea that it was the record companies and the artists who agreed to make the
    necessary changes to facilitiate radio play so they could promote their music, and they chose and
    approved the verbiage, you shouldn't have a problem with either of these edits technically.

troggy likes this.
  10. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

You can never have too many solos from Kossoff....

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Edited? What?

I don't think that's an edit, but rather a bad punch-in.

Rael:

No, it's not. The damage was done to the 4-track, which was "fixed" by copying the intro from a rough mono mix back to a new section of 4-track, which was then edited back to the rest of the song. The mono mix wasn't damaged.

The original mono and stereo LP mixes both have "edits", but 1) they aren't identical and 2) they seem to be crossfades rather than edits.

The "early mono mix" on the Deluxe Edition doesn't have an edit, and my understanding is there are other vintage mono and stereo mixes without it as well.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. sixtieswerebest

Manassas Bound to Fall. Ending chord tacked on. Even the reverb sounds different.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's not clear if that's an edit or simply the instrumental tracks being quickly muted. Either way, the reverb is different simply because it was being changed in the mix.

It's an effect, and I think it's one that works.

14. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Went to 5 towns and Adelphi because some of the audio courses at NYIT Westbury(CarlePlace) did not have some of of the best equipment. My college and degree was from NY Tech. This was in 1978-79.
    Agree with the McCartney edit. John M.

Apollo C. Vermouth likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Now you mention it, I haven't played the deluxe for years but I do remember being surprised to hear the missing few lines on a mix from the era. It surprises me that they went with such a bad cross-fade / edit on what was an ambitious track for them at that time.

16. jparis51

jparis51 Forum Resident

Heroes and Villains is modular too of course but the splice at 1:26 on the Smiley Smile version still makes me wince.

17. jparis51

jparis51 Forum Resident

Crimson and Clover is one of the few songs I'd rather hear in the shorter 45 version and it's all because of that edit! I've always wondered if they grew the album version from the 45 instead of the other way around.

18. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Life’s Been Good by Joe Walsh.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes.

"Based on suggestions from radio stations, Tommy James and The Shondells chose to create a longer version of "Crimson and Clover" for the album. The first two verses were copied without lead vocals and overdubbed with guitar solos by Shondells guitarist Ed Gray using steel guitars and fuzz guitars. During tape copying a slight speed error was inadvertently introduced. This resulted in a small drop in pitch during the new guitar solo sections, which went unfixed."

Crimson and Clover - Wikipedia

MLutthans, ARK, 51IS and 3 others like this.
  20. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident Thread Starter

5 Towns in Seaford...yeah, I was there for the first year and then they moved to the Dix Hills campus and we literally had to do our final projects in rented studios because the new studio in the new school wasn't set up yet with the 48 track total recall board/desk yet. I loved 5 Towns...in the end though it just didn't pay the bills. Especially with having to be a tape operator and getting paid squat.

NYIT Old Westbury had Al Brodax as a Professor if I am not mistaken. That would have blown my mind being that he is so well known for Yellow Submarine.

jdicarlo and apesfan like this.
  21. jparis51

jparis51 Forum Resident

Thanks, guess I shoulda looked it up instead of pondering it for years.

old45s likes this.
  22. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Agree 100%. With Heroes and Villains, the whole modular method sort of went off the rails with so many great bits to fit together that the thing kind of all fell apart. No idea why the "la la la" verse was in any way necessary to splice in, and in such a crude fashion. That's why I'm a 'Cantina' man all the way. It captures again some of the GV modular magic Brian created with GV.

Rick Bartlett and jparis51 like this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

Woman from Tokyo :buttkick:

24. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Great for 2.16, then What the hell was THAT???

altaeria likes this.
  25. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Perhaps I've misunderstood the OP. I thought it meant edits regardless of how or why they were engineered they way they were. I gave examples of two edits I don't care for as I hear them on the radio. If the OP was intended strictly for audiophiles then my apologies.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.