Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Thanks for the rich update. I love the Barn. I haven't been there since Levons last show.

jmorton likes this.
  2. Paintan88

Paintan88 Well-Known Member

Chris Robinson and the Green Leaf Rustlers are playing at Levon's barn this Sunday.

Green Leaf Rustlers

Apparently, Rich Robinson has been or is at the same location producing Maker's album (thanks for that info posted earlier on this thread).

3. Paintan88

Didn't feel the need to say so but I will - this doesn't seem like a coincidence

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I'm still pissed Chris canceled his local GLR show due to low ticket sales, that diva.

Erik B. likes this.
  5. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Just clicked on this thread while listening to Magpie.
    Completely oblivious for a minute or so.......o_O
    Got that Mule lined up next.

6. Robamorican

It is.

I'm not saying they wont hook up. But Chris has a show and Rich is working with a band that opened for him.

Both are working. It just happens to be in the same place.

DML71 likes this.
  7. Paintan88

I'm not suggesting they are doing something together musically this weekend. I'm just thinking they may have a meeting or discussion of some kind about the possibility of working together in the future. It's not just the same town - it's the same building.

I've been worried ever since Magpie Salute went quiet after the end of their last tour dates. No new tour dates and the new album not coming out for some time (when all they had left to do was mix it).

As much as I liked them and was hoping to see them again soon, I wonder if attendance at their shows was low enough to the point that they can't go out on the road again. My theory was that the money from the Bad Company tour helped fund the 2017 tour and that an unexpected source of income is needed to move forward again.

Then, the CRB cancelled everything after July. Both Robinsons have schedules that look pretty open. My totally joking theory is that the Robinsons got advance copies of Steve Gorman's book and have found common ground in their hatred of how they are portrayed.

Whether it's at Levon's place this weekend or somewhere else, I'm guessing they will talk soon about possible future plans sometime soon. Doesn't mean they will actually do it though. Real common ground might be hard to find.

8. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

The attendance at Magpie shows was really disappointing BUT .... CRB got a multi-year head start on Magpie. It seems to me they are going through the usual new band growing pains. I think the lay-off after the last tour was probably always intended as a break. I will say Marc looked less than enthusiastic on the winter Magpie tour and I’m wondering if that was if he was unhappy or if it was just the beard. Lol

Matthew Tate and Robamorican like this.
  9. Robamorican

They may hook up! But I think it's just coincidence.

Most bands in that ilk would love to play and record at Levons. I sure as hell know I would like to.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, the first few CRB tours were even smaller venues than the last Magpie tour.
    But at the Magpie show I went to in January, both Rich and Marc were really into it, and Marc looked especially happy. Though that was a hometown show for Marc, with his wife and close friends in attendance, but still.

11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not only does CRB have a head start they started right after the black crowes were gone so it became easier to draw a crowd. when I saw magpie salute there was barely a mention by the venue that it featured several members of the black crowes

Sully79 and jmorton like this.
  12. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

13. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

14. Robamorican

Nice. Pictures are great. How was the show?

15. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

The show was superb. I have seen them three times now. Each of the members is truly amazing.

budwhite and Robamorican like this.
  16. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

No Molo, though? Who played drums? I'm a huge fan of Greg, and would love to see him with Chris, but no Molo is no bueno. Ugh, just typing that out makes me angry, but it was such an easy pun!

17. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

18. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

I like GLR. One of Chris’s better side ventures

19. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

It was Tony and he was wonderful.

dewiecox and budwhite like this.
  20. Howdyfolks

Howdyfolks Well-Known Member

"Rock n' roll should be an arrogant, nasty, sexy, beautiful free animal. We don't compromise, and we never will." - Chris Robinson

Although still speculation, what I find most unfortunate about the Crowes and the members' individual legacies is the seeming atrophy of their original spirit. Things change and people change, yes, but, to me, the Crowes always stood for authenticity in the face of plastic commodity. This is a band that, despite its inner turmoil, always appeared to maintain personal and musical integrity in the harsh light of commercial adversity. The soul and swagger of this band, when found on a good night, is nothing short of an archetypal experience depicting the pain and glory of the human condition. It is equal parts majesty and humility.

I hope and wish the guys find clarity and compassion for each other, even if it be just as friends. I can't imagine the internal dialogue that they face within themselves after having had their lives in the public eye since their late childhood. It's easy to criticize their behaviour from the outside. It's another thing having lived their experience.

21. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Random song popped up on my iPod's shuffle during my commute this morning, live cover of Crowes doing "No More Cane on the Brazos", from Red Rocks, circa '05/'06, with Chris, Rich and Marc taking turns singing the verses (and of course Steve on drums and Ed on keys). It was so good! God, I miss that lineup.
    Is there another song they've done where all three sing on their own?

23. Robamorican

painted8 and jazz_case like this.
  24. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Don't Do it in 2005/6.

25. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

1. And what a cover it was! "My biggest mistake was lovin' you too much."

Also, once in 2005, I think they all took a verse on It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry.

painted8, budwhite and Graham like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.