Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Amazon, actually. :shrug: Personally, after our mutual transaction of BOTW, I'd rather have you open my Fragile, then send it on. :hide: I hope I never forget how generous and patient you were Sir.

2. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I just want you to all know that last night I dreamt I found a used copy of the Abraxas One-Step for sale at Target.

I woke up quite disappointed.

3. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

You should still check your credit card to make sure you weren't hacked

dkurtis likes this.
  4. Myke

Has to be placed by phone. :tiphat:

Skynyrd77 and Dr. Funk like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just cancelled my preorder for all the upcoming One-Step LP sets and got an RMA for the sealed Portrait In Jazz One-Step from Music Direct. There were no issues and the CSA from Music Direct was very helpful and professional. I stated my concerns with the SRV issue as well as scuffed sleeves with Portrait In Jazz. The CSA made note of those concerns and was very understanding. I'm out as far as buying future One-Step LP sets but will continue to do business with Music Direct in the future. They have always been excellent to deal with and totally professional at all times!

6. Myke

What is an RMA please ?

7. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I know by your posts that you are more of a digital person to begin with. I can understand coming into these One Steps with that history in place. Your concerns are valid ones, and now you can sleep better at night.
    A bunch of us on this forum started out with vinyl, myself going back to the 60's, we didn't know what a music CD was for more than twenty years down the road. Personally I will take a good LP most days over any CD.
    I still buy and listen to CD's, but mostly on headphones. Maybe you will change your mind after MoFi gets it's act together and you get your turntable set up and running.

honestabe316 and Bill Mac like this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It's an Return Merchandise Authorization. It's needed in order to return most items when bought like the Portrait In Jazz set. If I sent the set back without an RMA they'd refuse the shipment and send it back to me.

Myke likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You're correct in that I'm mostly a digital person. I started listening to music in the early 70's which of course was all vinyl. I've been feeling a bit of nostalgia and wanted to spin some vinyl on occasion. But at this time I'll stay with buying vinyl that's a bit less expensive. On sound quality alone I'm sure the One-Step sets are well worth the cost for many. Just not right now for me but that could change :).

John D. likes this.
  10. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

Mofi posted about the BOTT release on Instagram, and when asked if there was an estimated shipping date they responded: “not yet, but we are trying to make the preorder period shorter than previous releases.”

11. SRV_AU

SRV_AU Forum Resident

1682 is also affected. From the same FB thread.

12. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Received my copy today #425 and having never heard the album before the music is just stunning. The interplay between Bill and Scott is just as powerful as I've listened to for years on the Village Vanguard set and the song selection is wonderful.
    Sound quality overall is a bit of a mixed bag. There is not a whole lot of air between the instruments but this presentation does make for quite an intimate experience, just a bit on the dry side. Individual instruments sound nice though with great weight and articulation on the bass, detailed and dynamic drums and a full, never harsh sounding piano. My main gripe would be an ever present 7khz feedback that appears in varying degrees throughout the entire album. Of course this couldn't be removed without compromising overall sound quality but it's a shame the engineers didn't pick up on this at session.
    As for the box itself it came in great condition. Slight scuffing on the inner sleeves but nothing egregious and my records are flat and dead quiet. This is my 2nd experience with the SuperVinyl/SRX compound and while static build up is an issue as others have reported, they do set a perfectly black background and enhance the subtleties and transient response.
    Although this recording will not wow with an incredibly deep soundstage and crazy dynamic swings, all of the intention of the musicians comes through loud and cleer and that's really been a trend that I've noticed on the other One Steps I own. And that is enough to keep me coming back for these definitive versions of landmark albums.

13. Skynyrd77

Skynyrd77 Active Member

Appreciate the info. Gonna have to give them a shout

Myke likes this.
  14. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Fragile is going to be amazing. :pineapple:

Myke likes this.
  15. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Received my copy #822 of Portrait in Jazz this morning. Just got thru listening to both LP's and everything is perfect. The sound is the best I have ever heard this title. :D

ssmith3046, Sam, Dmann201 and 2 others like this.
  16. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Does anyone in this thread have a box # between 1682 and 1820? I suspect that a total of about 400 will have SRV on side 1. Will anybody have the cojones to actually list this SRV/Bill Evans mispress on Discogs as an alternative pressing?

CBackley, DavidD and Myke like this.
  17. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Surprised no one has mentioned this before. Once I heard it I couldn't un-hear it. I believe Kevin Gray removed it on one of his masterings of this album.

18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I haven't cracked mine...please tell me it isn't on the 1 Step.

19. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Do the numbers on the boxes actually represent the order of the press run?

lukpac likes this.
  20. stevos47

stevos47 Well-Known Member

I own a copy of the SRV/Bill Evans Trio. I have number 1822. Could you please start a link or respond to this if you have already played your album and if it is defective or not. If you include your album number (hand written on the back) we can find out just how many are defective and when it was corrected. Thank You!

21. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I received mine this afternoon: #1063 (or 1003 depending on how you look at it).

External box had light rubbing near some edges that makes the black look a little less so at certain angles, internal sleeves had tiny rub marks on back of LP1 and front of LP2 that are fairly subtle, but there. Some stress marks on the inner sleeves - not edge splits - but edge stress making some white show through the black color of the inner sleeve edges.

Records are all correct (no SRV) and visually looks flawless. Yes, the static was there, but not terrible and I used a zerostat gun before playing. The album itself sounds really really good. No loud clicks/pops, a few small ones scattered here and there, but I didn't wet clean it before play. I'm going to do an ultrasonic session in the near future and may put these through a quick run.

The cosmetic issues a pretty minor and I'm 90% sure I won't request any replacements for the inner sleeves even with the light imperfections.

Very happy with the purchase - no regrets at all. I have the AP 2 x 45rpm from the box set also, but seems like others have covered the difference and there's been consensus there on what the differences are, so I'll eventually do that for myself, but won't be in a hurry to do so.

Sidenote: My first LPs using the Supervinyl formulation. It does seem subjectively quieter and it's very cool (to me) to see such translucent vinyl - you don't need to hold it up to a strong light to see through it. I like it and though I don't love the $25 adder, if I'm going to pursue the best pressing of a classic recording from an artist I love, I don't mind paying the premium to get it on the best formulation of vinyl available.

22. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

I posted this on facebook a few hours ago...and made a similar comment when I got the 1st Bill Evans One Step...
    I listened to mine last night and I have the previous Bill Evans one step. It’s really my first exposure to his solo efforts. I’ve heard lots of his piano playing as a sideman.
    I know there are issues mikin’ a piano properly , and Im a jazz fanatic with just about the whole suite of music matter blue notes, analogue productions Prestige, Blue Note, Verve Impulse lp subscription sets and many Mosaic box sets

I just don’t get the love for these Bill Evans recordings as the piano sounds terrible...distorted over driven and out of tune I just don’t get it

Id love to see opinions here as I have heard plenty of beautiful, well recorded piano playing.
    This latest one step's side one's piano sounds awful and I just dont get how these recordings are so well loved

23. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Has anyone mentioned "thread banning" yet?

Some folks are getting pretty close to losing their ability to post in this thread which would be tragic.

Get the picture? Good. :)

Carry on - respectfully.

25. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

Did I say something wrong?