Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I got that Nonesuch box recently for a dollar or so & enjoyed the LPs I played before I got diverted onto exploring my Naxos CDs.

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Do you have a good number of recordings by La Reverdie? I only have one so far ...

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I have most of them; 10-13 as a rough guess. Love listening to La Reverdie. :)

4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

5. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

[​IMG]
    Disc 1
    Glinka - Overture Ruslan and Ludmila*
    Borodin: Price Igor*
    Overture and Polovtsian Dances
    Tchaikovsky
    Eugene Onegin -Polonaise
    Capriccio italian
    1812 Overture
    * Philharmonia orchestra
    ** Orchestre de la Sociétiés des Concerts du Conservatoire
    [] Bournemouth S.O. Band of Her Majesties Marines
    A program of Russian favourites performed well with the Philharmonia at its late 50's peak that also shows how well he had molded the Bournemouth forces to the point they could equal that of the London orchestras.

bluemooze and Mugrug12 like this.
  6. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I may pick up the British Symphonies set on Lyrita at some point. Four discs for around 20 dollars. It includes the Searle / Krips performance and many others.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Her Majesty's Marines - is that a brass band? How does that sound in combination with a symphony orchestra?

8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Recommended!

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

10. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

11. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

For 1812 ?

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. ShallowMemory

As kind of intimated in Wugged's response, it is the full band, -woodwind, brass, drums etc - of the Royal Navy who have made a number of recordings over the years comprised of members of the Royal Military School of Music connected to the navy.
    Link: RM School of Music | Royal Navy

bluemooze likes this.
  13. coopmv

bluemooze likes this.
  14. ShallowMemory

Interludes..
    [​IMG]
    Recorded 1959/61/65 digital transfer and compilation 1987 EMI Studio CDM 7 69109 2 MPO France pressing and French EMI origination
    For those of us who love his Philharmonia account of the Symphonie Fantastique, the overtures as recorded at the Salle Wagram vividly.

Wes H, bigstar87, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  15. coopmv

The following recording has the most powerful cannon shots of all Tchaikovsky 1812 recordings ...

[​IMG]

I have owned this CD for a while.

16. coopmv

Need a bigger band like the LSO to make a bigger musical impact ...

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The cannon shot from that disc almost blew up my speakers years ago. Haven't listened to it since - don't care for much of Tchaikovsky's music anyway :)

18. coopmv

My understanding is the cannon shots were pre-recorded at the US Military Academy at West Point before they were re-recorded over the master tape containing the Dorati Tchaikovsky 1812 ...

[​IMG]

I am always extra careful whenever I put this CD on for a spin ...

bluemooze likes this.
  19. layman

layman Forum Resident

I wonder why this was never re-issued on SACD?

20. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

If I correctly paid attention to the commentary track on that very CD, most if not all of the cannon shots on that recording are actually slowed down rifle shots...

21. layman

layman Forum Resident

Disappointing...I was planning on getting the Analogue Productions SACD. I wonder what went wrong with the re-mastering?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  22. coopmv

Don't recall what was said on that track since I last listened to the CD a long time ago ...

23. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

It’s quite likely they used a different source mix. This was probably a three-track recording, going by Columbia’s standard at the time, and I’m almost certain a new mix was made for the SACD in order to skip one generation of tape. (Or maybe I’m wrong and it was only 2-track.) The SACD is still hissy as hell, but it has tremendous presence. The Analogue version might be using a different mix as the source, or maybe the original two-track downmix. Anyway, it’s not as hissy, but unfortunately that makes the music also sound a bit dead.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  24. layman

layman Forum Resident

Your description makes it sound like the re-mastering team ran the tapes through the dreaded noise removal machine (which removes much of the excitement and liveness of the recording as well as removing noise).

25. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I have the AP version on the shelf but haven't gotten to it yet, the Sony version is excellent. Did you listen in 2 or 3 channel to the AP version?

I assume the Sony mastering is the one being used in the box. No need to change it out.

Edit to add, because I didn't see the most recent posts: AP used the 3-channel master and issued a SACD that had both the stereo mix and 3 channels "raw."

crispi likes this.