The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

There were some funny parts which were in keeping with the overall type of movie that it was.

It is just that I did not find the movie appealing at all. It was way off from the romantic comedy that it was portrayed as in the theaters.

I think that there are several more promising movies just ahead. The Tolkien movie, A Dog's Journey and The Sun Is Also A Star.

brownie61 likes this.
  2. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

The Sound Of Music

3. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I went to see Detective Pikachu last night, though I saw Labyrinth a couple of weeks ago projected on 35mm and the print was in pretty good condition.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

The Hitman's Bodyguard

5. MorrisonsLament

MorrisonsLament Active Member

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Last film I saw was Tolkien, and sadly it looks like that's the last I'm going to be able to see in that theater. The Cinemark Palace at the Plaza closes on the 19th so the Country Club Plaza can get the absolute last thing it needs - yet another overpriced clothing store.

My only choice now to see a movie in the theater is the horribly overpriced Alamo Drafthouse, which also has the most uncomfortable seats since Torquemada, or catching the last bus up to the AMC Ward Parkway and walking 2.6 miles home.

Coupled with the independent Tivoli Theater closing last month, these are bleak times for Kansas City movie buffs who don't drive.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Wow, really sorry to hear this, Chris.

It’s been pretty barren here too. There are some films I’d like to see, but all in NYC (forget it) or at the way too expensive Bow Tie in Montclair. AMC seems to be skipping all but the widest of wide releases around here lately, none of which are appealing to me at the moment. I would really like to see The White Crow, but it doesn’t look to be happening at the moment.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Thanks.
    When I was a kid, there were four theaters on the Country Club Plaza. Admittedly, the Seville Square was a set of dreadful little cracker-boxes, the Plaza was one of those that had a balcony turned into a second theater (in the words of Rocket J Squirrel "That trick never works!") but at least they existed.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

The AMC theater by my house has TEN screens. Now, one would thing with that many screens, that they could have just one independent art type movie at any given time.

Instead, the mostly seem to0 have the general mass release movies. The [problem with massw release movies, is that you are lucky to have half of those be decent movies. The other half never make any money anyway. So, I don't really see the point?

brownie61 likes this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

the simpsons movie. 2007.

11. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Two of the three AMC theaters near me tend to do that (have one or two non-wide release movies each week). But they haven’t done so in a month and a half. I’m hoping it turns around. (And one AMC near me has *16* screens!)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

I went back to the Palace at the Plaza to see Long Shot with Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron. Not terribly believable but funny.

13. SandAndGlass

Saw A Dog's Journey, yesterday. I thought it was well done and an entertaining movie. I really enjoyed it.

If you are going, suggest A.S.A.P., because they are making way for the upcoming summer mega movies, beginning this weekend.

The nice little movies will not be around long.

The Tomatometer only gave it 48%, but the audiences gave it a 94% approval rating. I'm with the audience's!

The previous movie, A Dog's Purpose did over 205M, but this one, won't come near that figure, due to the timing.

English actress Kathryn Prescott plays the dog's owner as an adult. She did an excellent job in the movie.

Chris DeVoe and brownie61 like this.
  14. SandAndGlass

The Sun Is Also A Star, is also a decent, watchable movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendations, @SandAndGlass, but most of those films are not calling out to me.

Movies I want to see but are not playing at an affordable theater:
    The White Crow
    The Souvenir
    Amazing Grace

Has AMC abandoned giving a little bit of screen space to small films like these? I may suck it up and pay the big bucks for The White Crow. The others will have to wait for home rental if they don’t make it to one of my 3 local AMCs.

Very much looking forward to:
    Rocket Man
    Late Night

It has now been almost two months since I went to a theater. :(

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

None of these seem to be coming to my local AMC either.

I know that Rocketman is, just saw a trailer this week about Late Night, so it will be playing.

I am going to go see movies at my local AMC because I am now retired and I since I joined their Stubbs A-List program, I get to see three movies every week. This being the case, I am going to check most of the movies that open here.

Some of the movies that I have enjoyed a lot have been some ot the little movies that I've seen here this year. A Dog's Journey, turned out to be one of these little movies, that turned out to be unexpectedly good.

I never saw the previous one, but it did over $200M on a 20M budget, so someone liked it.

The critic's were pretty divided by it, but the movie going public was overwhelming in favor of it.

[​IMG]

I knew nothing at all about the movie going in. The trailer's were somewhat cute, but not that exciting.

The movie really was a good movie. I don't hesitate to recommend it. It is not a children's movie, like most dog story movies.

Keep an eye out for it as a Red Box rental or streaming movie. You may find it enjoyable.

Chris DeVoe and brownie61 like this.
  17. Two

John Wick 3
    Brightburn.

18. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Booksmart

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Just saw Booksmart.

Very funny movie.

Olivia Wilde directed it. Job well done.

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I finally saw The White Crow and I loved it. The young Ukrainian dancer who played Rudolf Nureyev was captivating. I did not know much about Nureyev, as he was slightly before my time, but this was a great portrait of a brash, talented, driven young man who wanted more than life in the Soviet Union and being told what to do. Much of the movie was in Russian with subtitles. Ralph Fiennes only spoke Russian! So glad I went to see it on a big screen.

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Brightburn

22. Chris DeVoe

Here was our Sunday at the movies:

Booksmart
    All Is True
    The Souvenir
    Avengers: Endgame
    India's Most Wanted

Booksmart was howlingly funny, probably prove to be one of my favorite films of the year.

All Is True is about an older retired William Shakespeare. The Globe Theater burned down in an accident, and he goes back to his home in Stratford. Mostly a fairly heavy drama about his relationship with his wife, his two daughters and his son who died at 11. Good performances all around, written by Ben Elton who wrote the last three series of Blackadder.

The Souvenir is the only one that I wish I hadn't seen, a young girl going to college who winds up with with an idiot boyfriend who pretty much ruins her life.

I spoke to my wife and she told me what had happened. The lead is Tilda Swinton's daughter who showed up with her mom for a meeting with the director. The director loved her and decided that she should be the lead in the movie. But everybody else was an actor and they all had lines but she was only given the vague outlines of the story and was basically reacting to everybody else. An interesting idea but a failed experiment.

Avengers: Endgame. Wanted to see it again before I left theaters, had more emotional power the second time.

India's Most Wanted. A dedicated group of policemen tracking down a serial bomber. They have no money, no support from their superiors or the politicians and track him down to Nepal where they have no guns and no cooperation from the local police. Enjoyable film but nothing amazing.

If you want me to see one film this week go see Booksmart. If you only go to see one film this year I don't even want to talk to you.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    SandAndGlass and brownie61 like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Discount Tuesday at AMC:

The Sun Is Also A Star
    Aladdin
    A Dog's Journey
    Brightburn

The Sun Is Also A Star. Beautifully written, intelligent and sensitive story about a young couple with only one day to spend with each other. A great example of the sort of film the people who claim that there's nothing but superhero movies, remakes and sequels insist they don't make anymore. They do, but then people don't go and see them in the theaters. Netflix doesn't count, people!

Aladdin. Enjoyable fluff that looked perfectly beautiful. I've never seen the animated version so I didn't have any childhood memories conflicting with my enjoyment of the film.

A Dog's Journey
    . My wife and I enjoyed this quite a bit. Yeah, we're probably both saps but we knew it would tug at the heartstrings and we liked it.

Brightburn. I had absolutely no idea what this was going as I'd not seen a trailer or anything. I wouldn't even want to hint what it's like or even what it's about to avoid spoiling it for anybody. As long as you're not the type of person expects to know what a film is going to be about before you go into it and you trust me you might enjoy this.

SandAndGlass and brownie61 like this.
  24. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

An odd but enjoyable selection of late:

Woman At War - Icelandic dramedy about a middle aged eco wariior
    An Accidental Studio - Excellent documentary about George Harrison's Handmade film company.
    Asbury Park: Riot, Redemption, Rock n Roll - Fairly cheap and nasty documentary redeemed by good interviews. Boring last third.

Tonight I am off to see the Aretha Franklin concert movie, Amazing Grace and hopefully Rocketman on Friday.

brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Avengers: Endgame at the local VIP cinema.