Any fans of The Big Bang Theory on CBS?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

We were expecting big changes in the finale; Raj leaving for England and Leonard perhaps departing as well. I'm glad they pulled it all together in time for a positive end to the series. This week's episode of Young Sheldon tied in as well.

musicfan37 and Keith V like this.
  2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Really hated how they brought in Buffy just to use her as a prop. :realmad: Why exactly WAS she there with Raj anyway? They could just as easily have used a cardboard cutout. Hated that they made Penny pregnant. I mean, I knew it was coming, but it's still depressingly bad writing. Didn't they already pull that nonsense with Bernadette? Twice? She was so drunk from going out with Sheldon that she was careless with Leonard? Was that supposed to mean she drunk-drove home in the first half? And wasting the first five minutes with a "previously on the first episode" recap and wasting the last five minutes with a reprise of the theme song just seemed like insulting padding.

I guess I kind of like that they didn't end with anything too dramatic. I mean, Penny's pregnancy wasn't really important beyond reminding everyone of just how selfish Sheldon was yet again. And everything else just happened to Sheldon could make that big speech. Which, of course, only meant anything to the other characters and the audience. Did the whole Nobel audience really care?

I give it a C-. Better than the '2 1/2 Men' finale, I guess, but that's a pretty low bar to clear. And it took EIGHT people to write this one??? :shake:

craigr and Keith V like this.
  3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yes, that was a concern for me when the credits appeared. Overall, it was a disappointing show (as it has been for the past few years), but it was neither as bad as I feared nor as good as I hoped.

Keith V likes this.
  4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I thought it was a nice ending, but all of the character development of Raj and Leonard this season was thrown out. It wasn't a surprise that Penny was pregnant - a bigger surprise would have been Amy. The thought of Sheldon being a father and accepting that change comes every day would have been an interesting series.

Keith V likes this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

She's too busy being Hilary Clinton on Broadway.

93curr and Keith V like this.
  6. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

This seems like a great retort to use in everyday situations!

"Why is Emily always late for brunch?"

"She's too busy being Hillary Clinton on Broadway."

Ignatius, Keith V and ralphb like this.
  7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

:laugh:
    Great idea.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Why did the chicken cross the road?

9. MekkaGodzilla

Why didn't the chicken cross the road?

Chip TRG and Keith V like this.
  10. In a voice over on Young Sheldon earlier this season Sheldon mentioned that he had kids so I expected Amy would announce her pregnancy. I enjoyed the episode but there is no way someone like Sheldon would be capable of having that insight. I thought the last scene was going to show Sheldon returning to his obnoxious ways.

Keith V and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  11. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

It's always been a show with weak, predictable jokes and overused studio laughter. I never understood the hype. :shrug:

goodiesguy and Keith V like this.
  12. MekkaGodzilla

[​IMG]

geo50000, canonlon, Texastoyz and 2 others like this.
  13. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

I need engaging substance in a show/plot/script. A girl showcasing a decent rack over and over just makes me feel I'm watching underwritten garbage. :hide:

goodiesguy and EwaWoowa like this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They could have gone the Friends route of creating a circumstance that was going to break up the gang... but I thought it was more fitting they didn’t. Big Bang is comfort food television and it’s nicer for the audience to think they’re all just going to go on being together (even though the reality is that having kids pretty much puts an end to endless group hangouts).

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Nice message at the end of the last Big Bang Theory from show creator/executive producer Chuck Lorre...

[​IMG]

Other pics from the final night:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[pics courtesy of Randy West on Facebook]

Ignatius and RobRoyF like this.
  16. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I haven't been watching the last season or 2 regularly. I thought the show ended well overall. I did not stay up to watch the special that came on at 9:30pm. I liked the show, but I felt like it lost steam in the last few years not being particularly funny. The first 7 seasons or so are more enjoyable for me.

17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

My mistake. It took TWELVE people, apparently. :wtf: :laugh: So, pretty much the entire writers' room got a share, then? o_O

rburly and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Squealy

The writers all work on every episode of a sitcom -- the practice is to credit the person or team who does the initial draft, but the whole team works on jokes and other improvements. For this episode they credited the whole writing staff to acknowledge them all.

19. MekkaGodzilla

Props to Simon Helberg (Howard) for not gaining an OUNCE during the show's 12 year run.

Can't say the same for the rest of the cast. (cough-Johnny-Galecki-cough)

Silken and Keith V like this.
  20. Squealy

I dunno -- considering it was a twelve year run, most of them didn't change much. I think Johnny is really the only one who looks noticeably older.

Keith V likes this.
  21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Kaley has definitely aged too. Just very well.

Texastoyz, ACK! and chili555 like this.
  22. Squealy

Most of the cast were aging from 20s to 30s so they weren't going to change too radically, but Parsons and Galecki are now in their mid-40s. One reason Jim didn't want to do it anymore was that he thought he was going to start looking too old (he's 46).

Matthew Tate and Keith V like this.
  23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

But it's a bizarre pattern. Since season three, pretty much every episode has been credited to six writers! That's far from SOP for sitcoms. This is the most extreme episode, but the credits have been atypical for quite awhile.

I recall when I bought Genesis's 'Foxtrot' LP back when I was a kid and looked at the one-minute long solo acoustic guitar track 'Horizons' and the credits on the label that claimed "all titles composed by Genesis" and said, "Hey, what kinda sucker they takin' me for here?" :cool:

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  24. MekkaGodzilla

Jim Parson's hairline started to shift around the middle of the run, and made me wonder if he started wearing a rug afterwards. (bad haircut?)

25. Squealy

Yeah, I guess it's different from other shows. I don't know why they have a split between story and teleplay. Chuck Lorre often has a story credit but never a teleplay credit. I suppose it's a more inclusive way of crediting people (I assume his other shows are the same?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.