The Rolling Stones - Love You Live appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't care what anyone sez about this live album.....I love it!!!
    From it's awesome cover art, to the incredible side 3 "El Macambo Side" (blues cover heaven!).
    To the whole funky mid 70's feel of this thing.......it's awesome.

Express you love and thoughts here Stones fans.

laf848, mgb70, LedHetland and 31 others like this.
  2. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Great choice! Side 3 is my fave as well. Love this song and all the banter at the end! Super fun times.

3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I really do love the cover!

I’m only lukewarm on the album though. The El Mocambo side is great but the rest is pretty up and down for me. I need to revisit though... haven’t played it all the way through in a very long while.

michiganman45 likes this.
  4. Complier

Complier Senior Member

My second favorite live Stones album.

Keith is completely straight.

laf848, KeninDC, couchguy and 11 others like this.
  5. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

The other sides of this album are like listening to the Stones at their most drugged out and debauched. It's almost a parody, but still super cool in its own way. Ahh the 70s!

6. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Best version of IORR ever. I've said it before, but it sounds sonically so different than the other arena tracks. Much more intimate and dry, like it could have been from Macambo.

Sean, bpmd1962, Rojo and 4 others like this.
  7. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

In his DIARIES Warhol said Mick "ruined" the cover by scrawling over the artwork with a magic marker.

Bill Wyman got a "dancing" credit!

8. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

I hope the Paris shows that were filmed will constitute a future Vault release.

hiterss, Purplerocks, Sean and 8 others like this.
  9. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Great guitar interplay on headphones on Love You Live. Recommended.

10. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I'm more of a Get Your Ya Ya's Out and 1971 ,72 tour fan but I do like some of this album. My favorite tracks, Fingerprint File. Star Star, Side 3 and 4.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Bluesman Mark, Sean, Fullbug and 5 others like this.
  11. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I’ve actually never listened to it. The only Stones album I haven’t got.

12. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Just listened to it this week. Love the sludge the 75 band sounds like compared to knife thrubyour gut 73 band
    Would love a vault release of 76 Paris or Knebworth. Video of both fits their mo.

Sean, Bubba Zanetti, OldSoul and 5 others like this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's definitely underrated. A neglected gem from the twilight of the Stones' legendary years. It all started to get cleaned up and professional after this. Started, anyway.

laf848, KeninDC, Sean and 9 others like this.
  14. CDFanatic

CDFanatic Forum Resident

I like this one. Hints of superstar decadence, but still dangerous. Love the El Macambo side. I would buy an official release of the complete El Macambo recordings.

15. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

It was maybe the 2nd or 3rd Stones cassette I bought, so I didn't have much of a yardstick. I love the French-language intro/crunchy Honky Tonky Women intro. There's a lot of funk - and even a medley, which I'm glad they haven't stooped to in recent history. Fingerprint File is killer, Sympathy too. "JaJaFlash" is a bit of a mess. Not a fan of the cover, tbh.

Sean and stax o' wax like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Andy Warhol excelled again.

stax o' wax likes this.
  17. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

Awesome vibe throughout, and the El Mocambo side is gold. Wish they'd release that entire show!

Sean, Fullbug, RAZORMADE and 7 others like this.
  18. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's so revealing to me that the part of this album that shines so brightly is side 3... when the band is back in a club playing the songs that they fell in love with in the first place.
    And you can feel the band has contact with the club audience, Mick's banter is awesome.
    That's what rock and roll is all about.

19. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Sorry always been sort of lackluster for me...just couldn't live up to YaYa's.
    The Vault series and Texas Girls makes this even more superfluous.

I only got into side three and Tumblin' Dice.

Mick not finishing the consonants didn't help either.

20. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

This was my first Rolling Stones album. I've always thought it was great.

quicksrt and melstapler like this.
  21. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yeah, listen to Mick mouth the words during JJF. OMG it's hilarious! Of course you can't understand a word, so if you don't already know the lyrics (and happen to care), this is not the version for you. But man, it's all so 70s great, and probably even better if you happen to be coked up, or just choose your medicine. :agree:

22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The El Mocambo side is the bomb here as the band return to a 63' size venue & get their legs stroked while playing.
    (I had to visit the venue when in Toronto & checkout the upstairs stage and room they used though slightly odd not to see any photos or a plaque in place.)
    The greatest performance here is certainly Crackin' Up.
    Of the other sides I also love You Can't Always Get What You Want & You Got To Move especially.
    Brown Sugar has a cool archetypal Woody solo & Sympathy For The Devil is interesting with Ollie Brown's added percussion.
    Some of the Stones metallic chordal attack is lost amidst the in vogue phaser pedals but hey it gives it that mid 70's flavour.
    Worst moment is the side one medley which perhaps should be put up into a cloud.
    Interesting to learn here first that the groove, verve and attitude of the It's Only Rock 'n' Roll studio cut would very rarely ever work live (Maybe in part as a different rhythm section?)
    Here a bit pedestrian but it is the Stones so I like it yes I do.

I have the following original 2 LP 1977' vinyl copies of Love You Live:

Japanese (White Label Promo)
    Japanese
    UK
    USA
    Australian

Plus the USA Promo only 7" E.P.
    & a reissued slimline CD.

Unofficially I have 3 double CD sets from various Paris shows in 76' a 75' Toronto LP an El Mocambo 77' CD & seperate LP & a factory produced double DVD of Paris 76'.

23. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I like this side also, even though it is heavily overdubbed.

24. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I love that album, I listen to it until I get tired. It was also the first Cd I bought from The Rolling Stones when the format appeared. I have always found it fantastic despite all the criticism it has received for years.

OldSoul and The MEZ like this.
  25. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Will agree with the posts above side 3 is the best. I've always liked the album. I dig Sympathy. The Stones cranked up to 11. I always thought it was interesting the movie Night Shift used Jumpin Jack Flash as the song Michael Keaton is grooving to in the limo.

Sean, DME1061, LondonViking and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.