"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello, everyone, I thought that I's start a thread here to talk about the VMP Classics track. Hopefully some people are interested. If not, I'll just be talking to myself! I signed up for Vinyl Me Please Classics a couple of weeks ago and Finally listened to my first album, Oriental Jazz. I know that the recordings weren't the best but I really enjoyed it. It was pretty different. I was also happy with the quality record itself, mine was dead quiet. I had read some reviews that made me nervous about the pressings from VMP, but so far so good. I like the packaging and I'm looking forward to reading the booklet before I give it another listen.

I'm really looking forward to the next release, Nat Turner Rebellion's Laugh To Keep From Crying. Both of these albums are albums that I probably would never have bought on my own, which is why I decided to try VMP. So far, so good!

dunkyboy, Sci-Fi Kid, Dan G and 3 others like this.
  2. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

VMP classics is top notch. I have been very pleased with every release so far.

3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

kinda bummed that i missed out on the "oriental jazz" release!

4. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I'm pretty excited for the Nat Turner's Rebellion set. Between the Loretta Lynn, the Nat Turner, and the Betty Davis (I swapped the Rap track), this month should be a needle destroyer for me.

jimhb and Hogues like this.
  5. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Hi,

I’ve been a VMP member for 2 years & have most of the Classics releases; they’ve introduced me to so much music that I’d probably never have discovered otherwise, from big names to the extremely obscure.

I’ve had a lot of records from VMP & have rarely been disappointed. The curation is top-notch & the packaging always decent, with the Classics pressings & record sleeves being especially high quality.

There are a small number of people on the VMP forum that seem to spend all of their time complaining about warped records, dinked corners, & any number of other things, but in my experience I’ve only ever had one record with a slight crease to the sleeve & they completely refunded me when I emailed them; & I’m a member who has several records a month from them, sometimes up to around 40 records in a big box.

I highly recommend VMP to anybody who loves music. My musical horizons have been expanded & I only wish I’d known about the club sooner.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  6. Scott 4

Scott 4 Forum Resident

I haven't had a single bad pressing yet, and that impresses me, given how many LPs I have bought over the past year that are off-center, have non-fill issues, etc. It's been a pleasant surprise to be part of VMP and I hope that continues.

7. Hogues

That's great to hear about the quality of the pressings. I listened to Oriental Jazz a second time today and I really like it. I had a chance to read the booklet and it was fine, really just a brief biography and nothing that really helped me better understand the album. That being said, I love these touches. The overall presentation of the album is top notch and "exclusive" feeling. I am considering joining another track, but I want to wait it out a bit. I wish that they had a Classical track, I would hop on that in a New York minute.

dunkyboy likes this.
  8. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I’ve not got many of the Classics releases but happily swapped on for Nat Turner Rebellion this month, really looking forward to getting it.

I’ve been a VMP member on and off for 3 years, have enjoyed it. I post in the forum pretty regularly too.

9. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

They recently started to press fewer numbers of the Records of the Month, especially the Classics sub, so they’re much more limited & often sell out in the first month or two.

The Essentials ROTM is worth keeping an eye on; there have been many great titles across all genres.

Also, the monthly exclusive pressings in the members store are often great picks, as well as being very limited to anywhere between 300-1500 pressings.

Lost In The Flood and markp like this.
  10. Hogues

Just after I posted, I read that they're having all kinds of supply problems with the Nat Turner album. Looks like I won't get my record until mid-May. I can deal with that, but I'm not happy that some people who swapped for it are going to get it before people actually on the Classics track. I haven't received the email yet, but my order still shows "pending" so I'm not hopeful.

On a side note, anyone interested in the Blue Note Box tomorrow? I'm going to take a look.

jimhb likes this.
  11. Hogues

Well, looks like I was wrong. I received a surprise today when I checked the mail and the VMP box was there with Nat Turner. It still says "Pending" in my orders. I opened it and everything looks good.

12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Been loving the Jimmy McGriff 'Soul Sugar'.

Nephrodoc and Hogues like this.
  13. Hogues

Nice. I liked really Nat Turner. I didn't think that it was outstanding, but I'm glad that I got it. Still loving Oriental Jazz. Also, I bit on the box set. FOMO, I guess.

HaroldRivera likes this.
  14. Hogues

So I really debated swapping out this months Classics selection, Al Green's Call Me. But after reading the forums, I decided to stick with it. I was thinking about getting Sorcerer. I'll save that for later.

HaroldRivera likes this.
  15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm very excited about the al green release. i added to my subscription without hesitation.

Nephrodoc, jimhb and Hogues like this.
  16. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I snoozed and it sold out.

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i learned the hard way over the last few months.

Guitarded likes this.
  18. Hogues

So... Looks like the VMP forum was shut down with 48 hours notice. I'm not a fan of this move.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Why would they do this? What did the notice say ?

20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Hogues likes this.
  21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

This Month's (June) choices are not very exciting.
    At all.

GentleSenator, Vinyl_Blues and Hogues like this.
  22. Hogues

Agreed, I substituted the Classics pick for Sorcerer.

Vinyl_Blues and Guitarded like this.
  23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

glad i'm not alone in feeling this way. i guess i'll go with the apparently AAA sister rosetta LP though.

i'm even disappointed by the swap options.

Hogues and Guitarded like this.
  24. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Oooh, AAA for Sister Rosetta, mastered by Ryan Smith? That's exciting to me.

Why shouldn't we be excited about the Phoenix and Outkast LPs for June as well?

I actually added the Hip-Hop track for the first time ever, because of the Outkast. I don't have any Outkast in my collection and this seems like a good way to start. I was born and grew up in the Atlanta area, so all the metro-area references in the raps should be interesting to hear for that reason.

I don't know much about Phoenix, other than seeing it in my partner Sara's CD collection. So I figure she'll be happy to hear this on vinyl. And I see it's also "remastered from the original analog tapes by Ryan Smith, Sterling Sound." So it should sound about as good as it can?

Craig.

25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Sweet - Glad someone's excited. I'm gonna grab an older release this month: Soul Makossa, for me.

GentleSenator and oldjollymon like this.