Lost TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt W.

Matt W. Forum Resident

At least two episodes exist at the UCLA Film and Television Archive (1, 2) - albeit incomplete. Several years ago, someone posted to the Association of Moving Image Archivists listserv, and had another "America After Dark" kine. More episodes might exist in NBC's kinescope donation to the Library of Congress.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

"The Cloning of Clifford Swimmer"

Plot/Summary Clifford Swimmer is an angry and abusive man, unhappy in his marriage and cruel to his wife and son, and he wants out. He finds a unique solution: he will have himself cloned and will have himself cloned and will replace himself while he goes about the world "a free man." With the help of a scientist doing research, the replacement of Swimmer is created. The clone takes over has turned out to be the opposite of the original...a gentle and sensitive husband and father...and his the wife and son come to love him. Then the real Swimmer comes back, find his family happy with the clone, and becomes angry jealous. And things takes a deadly turn.

Full Cast & Crew Starring, Peter Haskell, Sheree North, Ken Curtis, Lance Kerwin, William Bassett, Sharon Farrell and John Karlen. Directed by Lela Swift. Written by George Lefferts. Released November 1, 1974.​

Written by George Lefferts who adapted Ray Bradbury's 'Zero Hour' for the NBC Science Fiction Radio Drama series X Minus One. Directed by Lela Swift, who directed many episodes of Dark Shadows (1966 to 1971).

"The Wide World of Mystery" The Cloning of Clifford Swimmer (TV Episode 1974) - IMDb

3. JozefK

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Steve Litos, John B, Michael and 4 others like this.
  5. Matt W.

Matt W. Forum Resident

Here's an obscure one - Buddy Bregman's Music Shop. NBC intended it as competition for American Bandstand, and aired nine episodes from January to March 1959. The first episode featured Ritchie Valens, and was probably his only color television appearance. Aside from a small excerpt at UCLA, no kinescopes exist. All of the performances were live; no lip-syncing.

Also - while it isn't necessarily lost, I'd like to see lenticular kinescopes get restored. To time delay its color broadcasts, NBC developed a color film that is black-and-white to the naked eye, and encodes the color information on small lenticules embedded in the stock. It was similar to Kodacolor, an older lenticular format. The system was used from Sept. 1956 to the advent of color tape (1958). A transfer facility in the Washington DC area developed software to "decode" Kodacolor, and I think they're working with the Library of Congress to adapt the process for NBC's lenticular system.

Jerry Lewis donated his film archive to the library; his kines are probably the guinea pig for this process. The Steve Allen and Perry Como archives have lenticular kines as well. Admittedly, it'll look awful, but I'd like to see a couple Allen/Como performances (Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sam Cooke, etc.) in color. But good luck finding someone to get the film elements re-scanned.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    beccabear67 likes this.
  6. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Nice job by NBC tossing out all of the machines which played lenticular color.

7. Uncle_Lou

Uncle_Lou Forum Resident

I just realized that Mary is played by "Miss Cathcart" from Dennis The Menace.

8. dw99

dw99 Forum Resident

According to Wikipedia, most of the episodes of the 50s cartoon series Colonel Bleep, which was the first color cartoon series made for television, were lost in the early 70s when a van transporting the master tapes was stolen by car thieves; its contents were never recovered. Most of the surviving episodes were reportedly discovered in the film storage vault of a southwestern U.S. TV station which had formerly aired the show.

Colonel Bleep - Wikipedia

9. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Me too:D!!!!!!!!!!!

zefK, post: 16235788, member: 57596"]I very, very vaguely recall seeing this when I was a wee tot home sick from school.

The Girl In My Life
    was an American daytime television show spotlighting women who made a difference in people's lives. The show was hosted by Fred Holliday and the announcers were Bob Warren and John Harlan. The program aired on ABC during the 1973-1974 TV season.​

[​IMG]

Each day on the show featured three to four vignettes of women. The people whose lives they touched would offer a testimonial statement about their special woman, always ending with the phrase "My name is _____, and the girl in my life is ____." The woman would come out on stage and be interviewed by Holliday, and then would receive a modest prize package or an item of special meaning to the woman.

The show's format was spoofed in an episode of The Carol Burnett Show, using the knockoff title "The Girl That We Like".

The series was not rerun after its original network run and is believed lost.​
    [/QUOTE]

10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thanks for sharing this! I've recently watched The Outfit and Charlie Varrick, both which feature Sheree North. Nice to see something else with her.

11. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

When I first watched Monty Python in the 70's, I had no VCR, so my only option was to make audio cassette tapes of episodes. Seeing future syndications and the DVD set, I have noticed some omissions. The two I remember the most are:
    An animation link, where telephone pole service people are working, then the poles and wires pan over to an image of what looks like a crucification. The whole pan over to that image was removed.
    Another scene in another episode, there is another animation link, with two trees shown growing, and a spoken word dialog in German, that continues into the same dialog with music. That dialog ends when the animated trees growing hits a ceiling. That whole scene now just has the trees growing and all the German dialog removed.

WLL likes this.
  12. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Ahhh, sweet memories of yoof:love:! I, too, have an " audiocassette-recording-off'a-th'-teevee " memree...of holding my teeny handheld up to th' toob t' record the Ramones live on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert - and I even DJ'd an intro onto the cassette! Wish I had it:cry:.
    For categories of lost shows, since I believe soap operas have tended to fall into that...Why did all of DARK SHADOWS apparently survive? I mean, obviously, " because the tapes weren't junked/wiped ", but WHY? Someone at Curtis really thought it would have future value? The only manifestation of DS I ever got into was the newspaper strip version, but someone at a comics, etc., group of mine liked it enough to (apparently) collect all four-figure number of episodes of the series on VHS??, so:confused:...........

13. JozefK

I'm cheating here, since it's not really lost, more like missing in action, but does anyone remember this show?

This Is Alice - Wikipedia

I'd never heard of it before a few minutes ago... Aside from its rarity it's also noteworthy for being set in Georgia. Before Andy Griffith sitcoms set in the South were scarce, if not totally nonexistent.

14. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

There's a couple of episodes online.

15. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Several episodes online.

16. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Sky King - Early 1950's Adventure Series On NBC. w Kirby Grant + An Airplane Named The Songbird.

Ginger Ale likes this.
  17. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

"The New People" pilot exists, the rest gone

18. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Thank you for this. I have found the same isolated episodes I assume you're referring to. I guess I was hoping for a DVD, Blu-Ray or online set of all the episodes. They can't be going up in value as the generation that presumably would be their chief market is ripe now. Strange as, unlike some other earlier series, these can't possibly be lost.

Anyway, if anyone ever finds a link to the series I'd be interested.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

20. James Slattery

No, they're not. CBS has them all and remastered tapes as well as a matter of fact. They're also all at UCLA. Where do you get your information from? Based on what collectors have?

21. James Slattery

goat65cars likes this.
  22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I have a hunch (but no proof) that some episodes of the 1950's Dragnet might be lost. Has the whole run of that series ever been run in syndication anywhere?

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, that is really creepy!

24. Michael

not that I've seen...

25. Michael

goat65cars likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.