Schiit Audio (Mike Moffat) designs turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I learned something today :)

Davey likes this.
  2. harby

harby Forum Resident

Cast + machine. Then spin balance.

Examine even a lowly Technics SL-BD20 belt-drive turntable and it's nice thin platter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lowly is relative...this TT from 1990-2002 ($139 list in 1996) is a Rega or Pro-Ject killer. It will put the tonearm back where it started. The anti-skate is correct. 0.045% DIN rated wow and flutter from belt drive. Cartridge and dust cover included.

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

And a P-mount cartridge. I actually have a Technics SL-BD22(K) in storage. I haven't used it in maybe 20 years. I'm considering selling it or giving it away. I have no want or desire for a TT that uses a p-mount cartridge. I do have a want and desire for the type of TT that Schiit is building.

Schiit will figure out the manufacturing issues for the TT. And I'm confident it will turn out fine. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up costing a little more than the current expected price.

bluemooze, dmckean and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

A simplified P-mount version of their arm wand actually would be really cool. It's too bad there really isn't a great P-mount cartridge being made anymore.

5. finn

finn Forum Resident

It's funny how when I sold these new I thought they were a dreadful sounding turntable with a rubbish arm and the cheapest cartridge that sounded hollow and nasty and yet here they are now being praised as a killer turntable. How could I have been so wrong.... I blame it on my youth.

6. harby

harby Forum Resident

For turntabling, they turn the tables quite well. If you look beyond the go-around capabilities, of course the compromises to get to the price are factors more audible.

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

And made in Japan! Got mine for $100 new at the local Sears.

And this is still my turntable today.

8. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

I'm a bit confused as to why there would be any power going to and from the tonearm junction box? At first I was thinking, it could be something to do with grounding... but there's a ground lug right next to those single-ended outputs... am I missing something?

9. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Those in/out jacks near the platter bearing are for the external power supply and the motor, and there's a switch on top to shut off motor.

33na3rd likes this.
  10. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

They probably just wanted the power switch on the table itself and it could also help protect the motor pod from being pulled out of alignment by accidentally tugging on the wall chord.

11. Fdee

Fdee Well-Known Member

Makes sense, though the power switch does seem to be in a fiddly place. I'm typically listening to music with the lights turned down and am already dreading reaching between the platter and the cueing platform to start up the table!

33na3rd and dmckean like this.
  12. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Having an earth wire between the motor and the table could be part of their grounding scheme too.

13. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

That switch location looks like an accident waiting to happen. Maybe I'm just paranoid....

Fdee likes this.
  14. Fdee

Fdee Well-Known Member

One could always put the turntable on a smart switch like a WeMo. I can imagine it now.."Ok Google...fire up the Sol!" :winkgrin:
    I wonder if anyone has tested those switches for AC noise etc..

33na3rd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.