Bill Hader as "Barry" on HBO *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lonson, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Hey Ike, you want a little piiiiieeeeeee?

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Man great episode! Next Sunday can't come soon enough.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Barbecue bus! Free jail card! :laugh:

Poor NoHo Hank :(

4. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

What a great show! Well crafted and subtle, but still shocking. Late-era GOT could learn a lot

Bender Rodriguez and George P like this.
  5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

man some really top-tier deadpan humor going on and then a super jarring dark turn at the end. i hate red herrings, but i hope this is one.

Spencer R and GodShifter like this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The twist that

Barry got offered a movie audition by accident and Sally is upset about it

seems like a setup for Season 3.

George P likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

This show and Mr In-Between on FX are so similar.

Scott222C likes this.
  8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The actress who plays Sally was fantastic in that scene where she’s reading w Barry then loses it. Great casting.

trd likes this.
  9. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I assume everyone is up to date on this, but just in case...

Was anyone else in suspense about whether or not Janice's body was in the car trunk? At the end of episode 7, you get a very quick look in there before it cuts to Gene's reaction. Even if you pause the part and see the empty trunk, I was thinking there was still a possibility that she was in there, just out of view or something. I was thinking you could read Gene's reaction as either upset to see her body or some kind of crying relief that she was not there, and thus possibly still alive. I was still holding onto this view during episode 8 because of the reaction that Barry has when he gets to the trunk. It's like he's upset that Gene had to see her there (and knowing it's all because of himself, of course.) Then when we get to the very end of the episode and Gene flashes back to the trunk opening, we kind of again see the trunk but its more clear that she isn't there. Did anyone else think we were supposed to uncertain about what they were looking at until the very end of the episode? What was the intention here? Was this executed correctly, or did I just read too much into this?

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think you misread that. Fuches whispers to Cousineau, "Barry Berkman did this". However, there's always been some ambiguity as to whether Moss was really dead. I think last night proved she was.

I liked this episode a lot, but it's a bit much that Barry could just tear through the monastery or whatever it was and just wipe out everyone with a handgun. He killed a BUNCH of people yet he wasn't touched at all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019
    GentleSenator likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

:biglaugh:

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Whichever GORT fixed my typo, thanks! Much appreciated.

13. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I'm not sure I follow why the "Barry Berkman did this." line is relevant (coming as it does at the very end of the episode.)

I'm basically just wondering if it was meant to be unclear whether or not Gene was seeing her body in the car. I'm wondering if that was meant to be ambiguous. And also wondering if anyone else felt that way. It just seems thats what they were going for with Gene and then Barry's reactions.

As for whether she was dead or not, I've never doubted that. Clearly, he fired off some shots that night. Then he comes back and repeats, "Starting... now."

14. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Barry said that he "killed Moss" several episodes ago and there were flashbacks of him shooting her in the chest. I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason they didn't show her face is because the actress wasn't available.

15. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Right. Just to be clear, I've assumed Moss was dead ever since the episode where he kills her. What I'm wondering about is a whole other ball of wax concerning what we the audience were supposed to be assuming regarding what was in the trunk, and the reactions of Gene and Barry. I mean what was up with Barry's reaction when he got there, he looked spooked. Was he expecting her body to be there and surprised it wasnt? And if so, were we supposed to think that he was seeing her body, only to get see the empty trunk at the end, as a twist?

16. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I never saw an empty trunk; Janice's body was visible. As for Barry's reaction, maybe it was the gravity of the situation, guilt, and the pure visceral reaction of looking at a body that's been rotting in a trunk for several months.

17. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

You're totally right! I had to go back and check this out. I just didn't catch this because it went by so fast. And because her pants are black, and the same color as the inside of the trunk. No wonder I was so confused about all this.

[​IMG]

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Block is his stage name. By indicating that it was Berkman he was being more authentic, owning his identity and not hiding behind a stage name/alias. It's like everything he's been through has helped him face, accept and own who he truly is.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i felt this episode was a bit of a letdown after all of the brilliant preceding ones.

like @GodShifter said above: it was a little hard to take barry storming through the crime lair like the terminator. and yes, i know it's been shown that he's highly skilled. but this was handled with such a serious tone that something felt "off".

clearly they knew they'd have a season 3 on the way since this finale was nothing but one huge cliffhanger.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Nor do I think he reloaded? That was a bit much, but then again that is part of why it is . . . well not funny. . . but absurdly entertaining?

A great series. Can't wait for next season.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

He did reload at one point in the scene, because I remember kind of being surprised that he was doing so in such a casual slow fashion compared to the usual show of it that action movies make. The overwhelmingly relaxed nature of this shocking scene was another great subversion from the show. Season 3 should be even better if this one anything to go by.

GodShifter, Lonson and George P like this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Thanks, I didn't notice. And I think "subversion" is a good word to use.

GodShifter and zombiemodernist like this.
  24. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Yeah honestly this show was surprising me more than GoT did this year, and that’s supposed to be HBO’s big subversive show. Very clever and aware writing.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

At this point, there is no comparison between the two shows. “Barry” is so much better.