Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Have we seen this?

Jazz news: NoBusiness Records Begins Sam Rivers Archive Series With A Previously Unreleased Trio Recording From 1971

NoBusiness Records Begins Sam Rivers Archive Series With A Previously Unreleased Trio Recording From 1971

NoBusiness Records launches its Sam Rivers Archive Series with Emanation (NBCD 118), a previously unreleased performance by the Sam Rivers trio featuring bassist Cecil McBee and drummer Norman Connors recorded at Boston’s Jazz Workshop in 1971.

Produced with the full cooperation of the late composer-improviser’s daughter, Monique Rivers Williams, and the Sam Rivers Estate, the series will consist of eight CDs of music selected from Rivers’ enormous personal archive released over the next four years.

2. excellent cool jazz LP. How many tracks?
    Thanks

3. My start for today

Jazzland LP 972 (compilation remastered in 1972). LP contains five tracks from the original RIVERSIDE RLP 12-241 "The Sound Of Sonny"
    and two tracks from the original RIVERSIDE RLP-12-239 "Contrasts" a Kenny Dorham date with Rollins as sideman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jazzland LP 955 "Love Walked In" - George Shearing and The Montgomery Brothers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. and one more from JAZZLAND

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peter1, bluemooze, garrincha and 7 others like this.
  6. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    gettin into it

rxcory, Moebius, jhershauer and 13 others like this.
  7. More of my favorite label UA Records that is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this one - a real swinger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Bix Beiderbecke: Bix Restored 10

[​IMG]

bluemooze and chervokas like this.
  9. Berthold

Bix Beiderbecke: The OKeh & Brunswick Records 6

[​IMG]

rxcory and bluemooze like this.
  10. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    it's a Miles day today

11. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]

This morning, while preparing a bowl of " froot loops" for my kid, I re-checked the Cellar Door box. Went back a couple of pages and there it was: black sticker on a black page.

The pony was looking at me and thinking "you dumb asss". And in that moment I regretted having read those liner notes on the web.
    Mind that I had to wait a long time for the box. I wasn't even sure I would get one, so I read all of the liner notes before. That has to be the reason why I haven't noticed the sticker. Although I'm a booklet fan this one was not examined carefully.

Hopefully the pony will join me tonight for some jazz and I'll make up for this mistake.

12. Berthold

Bunny Berigan: The Brunswick, Parlophone & Vocalion Sessions 7

[​IMG]

13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Lots of deals to be had if you look.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I had been picking up used LPs of Andre Previn over the years in the cheap bins at record stores and at garage sales. Over the past year, I had been picking up the CD editions as well.

I keep discovering more albums in my collection where he had been an accompanist to a singer.

He was an incredible jazz pianist. If anyone here dismisses him, they should give a closer listen. My first suggestion is the solo material. I would first go for the years when most of his activity was focused on jazz (the mid to later 1950's). But don't ignore the jazz-based albums of the 1960's and his return to jazz playing, mostly after 1990. The albums where he was featured with Shelly Manne are essentialy Andre Previn records with a little extra drum soloing. Once you get into his piano, even the pure pop albums (piano and orchestra) are very interesting.

bluemooze, Berthold, JRM and 2 others like this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I don't hear a lot of classical influence in his jazz work, at least not obvious influence as you can hear with George Shearing. He didn't seem to have any interest in "Third Stream" music or in keeping up with developments in jazz piano. Correct me if I'm wrong.

16. Berthold

Miles Davis: The Seven Steps Sessions 1

[​IMG]

Moebius, Soulpope, BluTom and 11 others like this.
  17. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Beginning the work week grind with Gigi Gryce and friends, recorded on June 7, 1960...
    • Gigi Gryce - alto saxophone
    • Richard Williams - trumpet
    • Richard Wyands - piano
    • Julian Euell - bass
    • Mickey Roker - drums
    OJC/New Jazz CD

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I thought that the EU's common sense approach to banning toxic substances in the food supply effectively banned Fruit Loops. Do you have them imported along with your jazz records?

You can use naturally occuring dyes to color Cheerios and add lots of sugar (natural, of course). Add organic fruit.

Of course, this would cut into your music budget, so I can understand sticking to Fruit Loops

Berthold, Erik B. and Yesternow like this.
  19. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I have looked for it. I know that it was reissued, but I think that it is available only used.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Horace Silver, "The Jody Grind" Blue Note Universal UHQCD
    [​IMG]

rxcory, markp, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  21. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I don't have much Shorty Rogers - Cool and Crazy, Clickin' with Clax, Modern Sounds, Winds Blow - so was quite pleased when I saw this in Ray's last week in the Japanese import trays.

[​IMG]

Berthold, vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I like his one a lot too. I play tracks at my dj gig, especially the Mobley track The Turn Around. It's such a joyful song. I've owned the cd quite a while but came upon a Liberty/UA pressing on vinyl maybe five years ago. It's nice to look at the big 12 inch cover.

rxcory and xybert like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Charlie Haden - Land Of The Sun (Verve)
    The Nocturne Band with Gonzalo Rubalcaba.

24. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

rxcory, Stu02, Berthold and 4 others like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I made a long distance trip for family and was able to visit my favorite record shop over the last 30 years. I learned that it might be evicted (and closed for good) because a legal marijuana shop offered the landlord double the rent charged to the record store.

Isn't that ironic?

Legal buzz, but no more cool music shop.

I will leave the shop un-named. (I bought a pile of vinyl and a batch of CDs)