Seattle's Best Record Shop for Collectors?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StevenC, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

I'll be in Seattle with 3 or so hours to record shop. I'm hoping to find a record store that specializes in nice used records. Not tattered dollar bin records. Not cheap records with ringwear but maybe somewhere I may find a gem.

We can find new re-issues anywhere right? Plus, I can buy the sealed records at the SubPop store in the airport. However, I'd like to find a shop that may have a mix of great, sometimes collectible used records... perhaps alongside new records. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I always enjoy stopping in to Neptune Music Company in the University District. I've found some great things there. Haven't been there for a couple years but the few times I visited previously were always successful. And I'm pretty picky when it comes to good used record stores.

lightbulb likes this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Mazzy likes this.
  4. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

Try Jive Time. Friendly. Went there last summer.
    Bought a copy of On The Corner by Miles. They had an RL Zeppelin II that was in nice shape too!

5. StevenC

Thanks! Is Neptune the one where you have to walk downstairs from a small street to enter? Almost like it's below street level?

6. StevenC

sounds great!! Thanks!

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes.

8. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

I occasionally find nice used records at Silver Platters. The Bellevue store is closest to me.

GabrielJazz likes this.
  9. kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

There was a great used record shop in Pike Place Market years ago, but I don't remember the name or if they're still around. I bought the 7" Rocky Horror Picture Show radio promo vinyl there ("I'll belt you around the mouth, and mouth you around the belt."). Good luck.

musicfan37 likes this.
  10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Based on your post: Daybreak Records. Good variety, quality, and good prices. Super knowledgeable owner. In Fremont straight up the hill from Jive Time, which is another good store. Neptune is directly east of them, in the university district. Halfway in between Neptune and the other two is Golden Oldies. Between those 4 stores you'll hit the strongest core of used vinyl in town.

11. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Everyday Music in Capitol Hill is well worth a visit.

12. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Jive Time! Almost every used album I bought when I lived in the PNW was bought there. They have a great set up; LP's on the upper shelves are in demand and cost more. LP's on the lower shelves are not in high demand and cost less. I completely filled out my Robin Trower collection at this place in just a few visits, and yes, buying NM or NM- Trower albums from the lower shelves for under $10.00 a piece. Great thing about Jive Time is that the Dumpling Czar is just across the street, down the alley. Yum!

Dumpling TZAR
    Jive Time Records

13. StevenC

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I have some solid choices that aren't only Sonic Boom... Will be Ubering to as many of these as possible...

14. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

A little place tucked in a corner downstairs? I was there about 2 years ago and was pretty disappointed - average used record store stock in very mediocre shape with prices that reflected its touristy location.

I didn't make it to Jive Time and I'm now starting to think I need to go visit my friends out there again soon.

lbangs likes this.
  15. Yes jive time and Daybreak are somewhat near each other in Fremont.

One of the best for used imho is Easy Street over in West Seattle. LPs are upstairs in the balcony. Great store.

There are about 15 plus record stores in the area

GabrielJazz and Stone Turntable like this.
  16. There used seems to be more tattered than the others. Occasional gens . .

17. Victrollin'

Victrollin' Forum Resident

I'd say Jive Time and Daybreak Records in the Fremont neighborhood (you should have time to hit both). If money is no object, then Bop Street in Ballard. Good stuff there, but tends to be way overpriced.

18. Bop Street Scares me. Everything priced 2-3 times over :tiphat:

MerseyBeatle and kevinsponge like this.
  19. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

That's the place with vinyl stacked about 15 feet high on both side walls, right? I couldn't believe how expensive it was.

Got a cool t-shirt, though!

Another recommendation for Easy Street. I could only run in for a few minutes but could have easily killed an afternoon there.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I have to admit I only go for the CDs and their selection is pretty great. I only assumed their vinyl was the same.

Mazzy likes this.
  21. Yeah great CD selection. Silver Platters SODO is even better for CDs.

lonelysea likes this.
  22. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I was just there and lived in Seattle for 15 years. Here are my recommendations in order of best to worst. They are all good and gems can be found at each store. I had the most luck recently at Sonic Boom and Wall of Sound.

Easy street (solid all around)
    Daybreak (newer shop, great owner)
    Wall of Sound (great eclectic shop)
    Sonic Boom (small but great, fair prices)
    Neptune (good place to dig)
    Jive Time (seems overpriced these days, but once a favorite)
    Golden Oldies (fun place to dig)
    Silver Platters (huge and solid all around)
    Everyday Music (best for cds and reissues)
    Singles Going Steady (mostly punk)

Stay away from Bop Street. The most ridiculous over priced shop I have ever been to and the owner is a weirdo. I’m shocked they are still in business after all these years.

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

What is Golden Oldies like?

24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

bop street is still riding that "thom and jonny shopped here" wave from 15 years ago.

25. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Old long running shop here. 45s were once their forte and they still have the largest selection by far. But their Lp selection is also good and they regularly get new stuff in. Prices are right in line with the others. Been going there for decades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.