Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Bob Brookmeyer working overtime in the dual role of trombonist and pianist, recorded in 1954 and 1955.
    • Bob Brookmeyer - valve trombone, piano
    • Jimmy Raney - guitar
    • Teddy Charles - vibraphone
    • Teddy Kotick - bass
    • Mel Lewis (tracks 1-4), Ed Shaughnessy (tracks 5-8) - drums
    • Nancy Overton - vocals (track 7)
    Universal/Prestige SHM-CD

2. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Thelonious Monk: Monk´s Music

[​IMG]

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Thelonious Monk "The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Thelonious Monk" Mosaic Records. LP 2 and 3

[​IMG]

rxcory, xybert, frightwigwam and 13 others like this.
  4. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser

[​IMG]

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I think I have commented on this before but once again I am shaking my head. Here I am "Mr. He Thinks He Knows About Jazz", just mesmerized at the depth and breadth of all of your knowledge and tastes in jazz. So many, many artists and albums I don't know or haven 't heard. It does make the two Jazz threads two of the very best on the forum for me. Thanks guys and gals.

6. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

7. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

8. Lonson

Stan Getz & Chet Baker "The Stockholm Concert" disc 2, Verve 3 cd set.

[​IMG]

rxcory, Soulpope, Berthold and 6 others like this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I remember when that first Mosaic box came out. I was among the first to pre-order.

We had no idea of the gifts that Mosaic would bring to us in the future.

Berthold and Lonson like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Apple Sued by Estate of 'Over the Rainbow' Composer for Alleged Piracy

Apple and other tech firms are being sued for piracy by the estate of composer Harold Arlen for offering unauthorized copies of his songs, reports the BBC. Arlen's son, Sam Arlen, says he has found more than 6,000 unauthorized copies of his father's songs on Apple, Google, Amazon and Microsoft's services.

According to legal papers filed in Los Angeles and shared by AppleInsider, streaming services and download stores like iTunes are flooded with "bootleg" copies of Arlen's songs, robbing his estate of royalties. Arlen's work includes several American songbook classics like Over The Rainbow and Get Happy.

The 148-page filing claims the firms are engaged in "massive piracy operations" and provides several examples of alleged piracy. For instance, the official recording of Ethel Ennis' version of Arlen's song "For Every Man, There Is A Woman" is available on the RCA Victor label for $1.29 on iTunes. However, a separate version on the Stardust Records label - with the same cover art but the RCA Victor Logo edited out - is available for $0.89.

Some of the alleged pirate copies are said to contain the signature "skips, pops and crackles" of vinyl, indicating they've been duplicated from a record, rather than the original master tapes.

Arlen's estate is also suing dozens of record labels, which it claims have "continued to work with" alleged pirates despite having knowledge of copyright infringement "for several years".
    "It is hard to imagine that a person walking into Tower Records, off the street, with arms full of CDs and vinyl records and claiming to be the record label for Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald, could succeed in having that store sell their copies directly next to the same albums released by legendary record labels, Capitol, RCA, and Columbia, and at a lower price," stated Arlen's lawyers.

"Yet, this exact practice occurs every day in the digital music business where there is... a complete willingness by the digital music stores and services to seek popular and iconic recordings from any source, legitimate or not, provided they participate in sharing the proceeds."According to the BBC, part of the dispute stem from the differences in copyright law between the US and Europe. In the US, copyright for sound recordings made after 1923 and before 1972 is generally 95 years. But in the UK and Europe, copyright expires after 70 years, after which sound recordings enter the public domain.

Nevertheless, some of the recordings names in Arlen's court papers are still protected by copyright in Europe, and the actual compositions are not in the public domain (a writer's copyright continues for 70 years after their death).

The estate argues that songs like "It's Only A Paper Moon" and "Stormy Weather" are "monumental works of art" that are "national treasures," and is seeking around $4.5 million in damages. Apple and other companies named in the court papers have yet to comment.

11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I know the niece of Paul Bacon, who did the cover design for this LP. He did the cover design for over 200 jazz albums, as well as designing thousands of book jackets. She has only recently come to appreciate the great work her uncle did.

Stu02 likes this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Been stuck revisiting the Nugged Pickle in all it's raw and sometimes ragged beauty for the past few days. Pulled it out after it came up here the other day and it never found it's way back to its (prominent) home on the shelf. Sound familiar? Been through most of the US set, now up to the third set of 12/23/65 for the second time through, it's that damn good. And contains that 20 minute blues "No Blues". "Anti-Jazz"? Nah.

[​IMG]

rxcory, Blue Note, xybert and 15 others like this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Chick Corea - Piano Improvisations Vol.1. (ECM) German pressing

This one has a soft spot in my heart for being my first album by Chic. Side one is particularly good imo.

Ray Cole, xybert, Berthold and 6 others like this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

Ahh, hadn't seen the dates, thanks for the additional info.

Considering the location, date and his relationship with Sam Rivers at this point I wonder if Tony Williams was in attendance?

15. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Am reminded of the story of the Byrds album cover that featured a band photo with a horse replacing David Crosby.

NP: Is It Because I’m Black - Syl Johnson

16. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

I got five on it.

Berthold likes this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

One of my very few non-jazz posts....too beautiful to not disclose

[​IMG]

18. AxiomAcoustics

I know what you mean. When I'm hanging out with and around the "normal" people in my life they think I'm a Jazz musicological genius. Here, I'm just one of the inmates :laugh:

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    xybert, Berthold, Jim Walker and 7 others like this.
  19. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I got an OG vinyl last summer at the flea. I bought it for the curves...just look at that horn :yikes:

20. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Good to know. I've only heard him play in a more straightforward, swinging style, or in the '59 Melbourne concert with Sinatra.

Right now I'm listening to The Forward Look, Red Norvo live on New Year's Eve 1957, which also has a flute/sax and guitar in the band, and played in the '50s cool style, although mostly he's not trying the Third Stream angle so much. Except, up pops an arrangement of "My Funny Valentine" that is practically classical, again.

vanhooserd likes this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

On the turntable, new arrival "Joe Henderson - The State Of The Tenor, Vol. Two" on Blue Note Tone Poet.

Live at the Village Vanguard - Remastered by Kevin Gray.

Joe Henderson – tenor saxophone
    Ron Carter – bass
    Al Foster – drums

"Boo Boo's Birthday" (Monk) – 7:19
    "Cheryl" (Charlie Parker) – 7:41
    "Y Ya la Quiero" (Henderson) – 6:43
    "Soulville" (Horace Silver) – 5:38
    "Portrait" (Charles Mingus, Silver) – 7:05
    "The Bead Game" (Henderson, Lee Konitz) – 9:45

[​IMG]

rxcory, Xulio, JazzcornerND and 14 others like this.
  22. Lonson

Red Norvo - Wikipedia

Red had a fascinating life spanning many genres of jazz. I first heard him via the Comet/Dial session that had Bird and Diz, and then via his wife Mildred Bailey, then via his stint with Benny Goodman. And I love the trio he had with Charles Mingus and Tal Farlow. He did it all, and with style. The cds HEP has released of his material are great listens.

vanhooserd, Stu02, JRM and 2 others like this.
  23. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I've got a couple of these in my collection. Never played it before. Apparently it has a cookbook included.

[​IMG]

24. AxiomAcoustics

This the one married to Kanye? :hide:

Just kidding, I'm a big fan, buy everything she releases but somehow missed this one. Order up!

My most recent acquisition is this, really nice recital.

[​IMG]

Ray Cole, Berthold, PADYBU and 4 others like this.
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

One of my favorite releases over the last year. Stunning stuff.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.