Seattle's Best Record Shop for Collectors?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StevenC, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Does "overpriced" mean that you know that you can find the same records elsewhere at a significantly lower price? Or is it that people don't want to pay the asking price?

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Bop Street, I know the folks there. It can be quirky but always worth a visit. The common stuff is (often) over priced. Not always. But the key is the scarce/rare and oddball stuff isn't, its often around market value. Or its so scarce/odd a market value isn't there and you're holding it in your hands. And they have a ton of stuff, much of which isn't out.

Craig and chacha like this.
  3. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

At least the records are priced now! It used to be, you'd gather your records, take them to the counter and he'd get the book out...

You didn't mention where you're coming from. The airport? Easy Street in West Seattle would be your best bet, it's not too overwhelming and you could at least hit the new arrivals bins (I found a handful of nice Columbia two-eye mono Dylan records my last trip in). About the cheapest place in town for a latte, too. The others, Jive Time/Neptune/Daybreak/etc. are too far north, you'll spend all your time traveling.

Mazzy likes this.
  4. I’m a local so it’s not me who is asking. I live in Columbia City so it an easy trek to Easy Street every week.

Easy Street might be my one spot to visit if I had to choose only one.

lightbulb and palisantrancho like this.
  5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

That generally means the same record can be be found elsewhere for much cheaper, including online. Bop Street has albums that are $20 that can be found regularly in dollar bins. If you want to really know what overpriced is then visit Bop Street and get back to us. He also doesn't price many of the albums and just randomly pull some insane price out of the air when you ask him the price. I have been to many record stores across the country. They take the prize as biggest rip off I have ever encountered. One small shop in the California desert that I recently visited reminded me of Bop Street. Here are some of their prices! :crazy:

These were all in basement bin condition .

Tumbleweed Connection- $65
    Rolling Stones- Under Cover- $65
    McCartney 2- $65
    Led Zeppelin 2 reissue- $145
    Crosby Stills Nash- $48

bug2362 likes this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Exactly

7. chacha

The reason to visit Bop Street is that they have things there that most other record stores don’t have.

Raunchnroll and Mazzy like this.
  8. palisantrancho

I completely disagree. I wouldn't give that guy a dime. A total shyster, even if the random odd record can be found at a market price. I really don't care for him or his business practices. To each their own .

Trace and Mazzy like this.
  9. palisantrancho

I have a strong disliking to everything about that store. I will never be convinced otherwise, and I love that he has a crazy huge selection with many rarities in his collection. Record stores generally make me very happy. I spend several days a week visiting them. This is one of the places that make me sad and angry. No thanks.

Trace, Kristofa, Kym and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kym

Kym Former Resident

One newer shop I highly recommend is Fat Cat Records near Golden Oldies in the Wallingford area. Friendly and family-owned, and well worth a visit.

I second Daybreak. The owner used to work at Jive Time.

Another shop worth mentioning is Zion's Gate, near Everyday Music on Capitol Hill. The service there can be hit or miss, but the selection is impressive.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Blair G. likes this.
  11. Ha. I kinda agree. @chacha and I always go there when he visits me. He knows how I feel about the place but I get his points too.

But I never go there unless I’m with an out of Towner.

I get hives :tiphat:

lightbulb, chacha and palisantrancho like this.
  12. palisantrancho

Another shout out for Wall of Sound. That place is in Capitol Hill and doesn't get mentioned much. A knowledgeable and friendly owner, good prices, and eclectic offerings for a such a small shop. This is the type of place I like to support. Same goes for Daybreak records. The owner works very hard and puts out clean original pressings by the truck load. He worked at Jive Time for over a decade until he finally decided to open his own place.

13. nancybrooke

Sorry, I was asking the OP...

I was also going to mention Fat Cat, who are relatively new. They're in my neighborhood but I've only been a few times - they post their new arrivals frequently on their Facebook page.

Mazzy likes this.
  14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Plus it's right across the street from Dick's Hamburgers if you get hungry.

Trace, JeffMo and Mazzy like this.
  15. been to FatCat twice. So far disappointed. Found a lot of ratty funky stuff but maybe they are getting better ???

16. Raunchnroll

Recommended: the little mexican burrito/taco take out place next door. Like a food truck but in the former donut shop.

17. Raunchnroll

Small but good selection. 50 years collecting and I still find scarce stuff there. The dollar bins are not too picked over yet and I've found VG+ classics in them. Makes for great gifts.

Mazzy likes this.
  18. chacha

I understand your feeling. I’m not affected that way when I go in and enjoy the weirdness for what it is and it doesn’t bother me.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. chacha

Well, that’s disappointing they’ve shelved this thread over here. Probably very few will see it now. I didn’t even know this category existed.

20. Hello? Anyone out there???? :tiphat:

chacha likes this.
  21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I hear you all the way from Portland. :wave:

MarkO and Mazzy like this.
  22. nancybrooke

Yeah I found a few things but thought I'd give them some time to get more established. I like that it's in an old gas station, and helping to keep retail alive in the neighborhood. They also have occasional live shows.

Mazzy and chacha like this.
  23. Yeah it’s a cool space

chacha likes this.
  24. buddybg

buddybg Forum Resident

I'll put in a good word for Fatcat, I always find something cool there. If you want CDs they are really cheap. I'd also hit Daybreak, pop by Jive Time since they're down the street, then head over to Fatcat and Golden Oldies. If you want rare go by Bop Street, and for a great mix hit Silver Platters. Easy Street is out of the way of the others, but worth a trip more for atmosphere than selection though.

25. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I was out there for a week last summer and really enjoyed Sonic Boom and Golden Oldies. Found a lot of great stuff!

palisantrancho and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.