Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Hey hey hey, this is a family channel. Watch your embouchure :tsk:

Fender Relic likes this.
  2. AxiomAcoustics

Have you checked out cellist Anja Lechner? She seems to work in simiar circles as Kim, not unsurprisingly. Recently picked up her duet album of Schubert's "Die Nacht" with guitarist Pablo Marquez from last year and it's delicious.

Ray Cole likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That's a nice one. I never saw it. Is it a unique concert? Is it a press interview or speech? How many songs if any?

I'll swap some magic red beans for it. Trust me.

Edit: I see that it is on CDr. I'll keep my magic beans. They may come in handy in the event of an emergency.

I still hope to know if Satchmo speaks to the press on this? Maybe Side A?

Edit #2:

It turns out that the CDR edition adds several tracks not on the LP, including his trademark "When Its Sleepy Time Down South" As this was Louis' last recorded concert, and possibly his very last concert, it is a must for me.

He appeared on three late night TV shows a few weeks later and recorded The Night Before Christmas in his home after this, and then rested until his passing in July.

I was hitch-hiking when I heard that Satchmo had died. The driver and I talked about Armstrong for the next hour or so.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Berthold, bluemooze and bluejimbop like this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Masabumi Kikuchi "Black Orpheus" ECM

[​IMG]

ianfaith1 and bluemooze like this.
  5. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I've got two of them, one not sealed. PM me with your address and you can have it, if you want. No strings. I've always appreciated your stories. I might have played it once years ago. Hopefully the cookbook is still in that one.

peter1 and bluejimbop like this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

His interpretation of the title track is worth the price of admission.

Lonson likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, I finally got around to this after your recommendation many moons ago. The whole thing is wonderful.

Six String likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I now remember that I was almost arrested after that ride. I was hitching on a road in a small town, when two guys on a front porch said "Get up here and sit down real quick!" Just then a cop pulled up and said to me, "You were hitch-hiking!" The two guys said, "No, he's a friend of ours who was just coming over." It took a few minutes before the cop left. After a few whiffs of Satchmo's private stash, they drove me a few miles out of town, where the town cops did not roam, and I was on my way.

A few hours later, when I got home, I put on Armstrong singing Summertime.

I'll never forget those guys. That must have been Louis' karma working for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I have not but with an endorsement like that I'm looking now. I only wish these new classical artists did more with vinyl. Kim has a nice one on vinyl, but mostly cd, and looks to be the same for Anja.

10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

This is the same reaction I had when I first heard it long ago and I have never met a jazz fan who had a less enthusiastic response. Im still surprised it isnt better known but given the competition in Miles catalogue only so many records can get upper tier status I guess

11. AxiomAcoustics

Yeah, I wonder if they (Eicher mostly) figure that the market is already small enough for this sort of thing so maybe a 2xLP is a bigger gamble than the Jazz titles? I agree but luckily the CD versions sound fantastic and are well-produced.

12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Im not sure if that is good news or depressing news :sigh:

13. AxiomAcoustics

"Milestones"! Whoo, what a ride....would fit right into that amphetamized blow that is the "Four And More" album.

14. AxiomAcoustics

I dunno man, I get your point but our local market (not a major chain) always has Jazz or Classical playing and frankly, we love it. At least it's not the mindless manufactured tween-pap that plagues every other store you go into.

It would be a sweet occurrence to hear IASW coming through the air, I know we'd buy more beer and wine:)

frightwigwam, garrincha and Stu02 like this.
  15. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Hearing some Miles can't be a bad thing. The glass is half full, man...

I was in a grocery store one time, doing some late night shopping and Joni Mitchell's "The Wolf that Lives in Lindsey" came on the PA. That was cool since I love that song, but it's one of Joni's most melancholy and dissonant compositions. It made me really happy to hear it. It gave food shopping a David Lynch vibe.

16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Now i am needing a bowl of fruit loops. :cry:

Yesternow likes this.
  17. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

Enrique Villegas / Paul Gonsalves / Willie Cook - Encuentro (1969, Trova / Fresh Sounds CD)

[​IMG]

Paul with some local musicians in Argentina during an Ellington tour there.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Tad Dameron w/John Coltrane - Mating Call. (Prestige) OJC lp
    Coltrane in chill mode.

rxcory, Starwanderer, xybert and 3 others like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

So Just What The Hell Is In Froot Loops?

Chris Jager |
    Jan 23, 2014, 3:30pm

Kellogg's Froot Loops — the sugary breakfast cereal fronted by avian mascot Toucan Sam — recently caused an online stir when it was revealed that the multicoloured 'loops' are all the same flavour. We decided to investigate whether the Australian version was guilty of the same crime, which led to some interesting discoveries. Like paprika.

Reddit’s Today I Learned series recently unearthed an old article in which Kelogg's confirmed US Froot Loops are all the same flavour. This caused an uproar among American cereal fans who had long believed the iconic orange, red, purple, yellow, and lime green rings denoted more than just different food colouring.

"My childhood was a lie. I always thought the purple and yellow were the best, but apparently they're the same flavor now," one Redditor lamented.

"Those bastards LIED to me!!" stormed another.

One post even blamed Reddit for systematically destroying every fun aspect from their lives. Clearly, the taste of truth is no substitute for the nostalgic memories of breakfast cereal.

This got us wondering: could the same colour conspiracy be happening in Australia? I distinctly recall eating Froot Loops as a kid and hoarding all the red ones because they tasted better. Likewise, I would purposefully offload the yellow ones with their crappy lemon taste to my younger sister. Did Toucan Sam dupe my taste buds through the power of suggestion?

Here are the ingredients for Kellog's Froot Loops as the appear on the Australian website:

Froot Loops Ingredients (Australia):

Cereals (58%) (cornmeal, wheat flour, oatmeal), sugar, vegetable oil, salt, colours (paprika, carmine, turmeric, vegetable carbon, copper chlorophyll), dextrose, vitamins (vitamin C, niacin, riboflavin, thiamin, folate), minerals (iron, zinc oxide), natural flavours (orange, lemon, raspberry, cherry, lime).

And here's the US version. (Somewhat suspiciously, Kellogg's recently updated its US website to remove the Froot Loops ingredients list, but a cached version of the original can still be viewed online.)

Froot Loops Ingredients (US):

Sugar, corn flour blend (whole grain yellow corn flour, degerminated yellow corn flour), wheat flour, whole grain oat flour, oat fiber, soluble corn fiber, contains 2% or less of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut, soybean and/or cottonseed), salt, red 40, natural flavor, blue 2, turmeric color, yellow 6, annatto color, blue 1, BHT for freshness

As you can see, the ingredients in the local and US versions of Froot Loops bear almost no resemblance to one another. While we expected to see corn in the American product, the sheer number of other differences were quite surprising. Who would have thought the Aussie version used paprika for colouring, for example?

The addition of vitamins and natural flavours in the Australian version is probably due to our higher government-mandated food standards. The US version, meanwhile, can get away with more chemicals and additives. This Food Facts TV video that we stumbled upon seems to confirm it:

So there can be little doubt that Australian Froot Loops are healthier than their US equivalent: but are the loops the same flavour, or different? The presence of 'orange', 'lemon', 'raspberry', 'cherry' and 'lime' natural flavouring strongly suggests the latter.

To get a definitive answer, we contacted Kellogg's Australia and asked them to put the speculation to rest. Here's what the representative we spoke to said:

Australian Froot Loops use five different natural flavours, but these are actually all mixed together. The different colours all taste the same.

So there you have it; straight from the toucan's mouth.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You can get the same effect with these three ingredients

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or,

Just have red beans and rice for breakfast. Helps the digestion and better for ya

[​IMG]

Berthold, bluemooze and Yesternow like this.
  21. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

Forget about the taste. All the corn and wheat are 100% GMO. I wouldn't go even near a box of Kellogg's.

jay.dee and Tribute like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is interesting that Will Kellogg started his company as a health food initiative after his fairly outrageous efforts in hydrotherapy, phototherapy, thermotherapy, electrotherapy, mechanotherapy, dietetics, physical culture, cold-air cure, and health training.

He developed the first flaked cereal

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Athalwolf and JRM like this.
  23. Interesting to hear you look also at the covers. I am a record cover fan and collect coverrart books for years. Have even bought the one or other LP because the cover appealed very much to me.
    IMO a goog cover has to nearly 99% also good music inside.

peter1, bluemooze, Athalwolf and 2 others like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My favorite Louis Armstrong story was one that Armstrong put in writing. I don't have it in front of me, but I remember it pretty well.

The background is that Louis was never without his marijuana stash when he toured.

So Satchmo was on one of his "Jazz Ambassador" world tours in the 1950's.

On the plane back to the USA, it just so happened that Vice President Richard Nixon was on the same plane.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nixon loved Armstrong, as did everyone.

Armstrong was very nervous coming through customs, but he got Nixon to carry his bag through customs. Nixon was ever so pleased and proud!

"Thanks, Daddy!"

My final observation is that not only was Nixon a jackass, but he was also a mule.

Ray Cole, peter1, Robitjazz and 12 others like this.
  25. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Yesterday I ate at IHOP, and they were actually playing the Real Muzak--good, old-fashioned, instrumental elevator music. First time I've heard it out in the world, in quite some time. Gave me a perversely happy, nostalgic glow.

I'd love to hear IASW in a restaurant or supermarket, though. When I was a shift manager at BK, many years ago, I'd sometimes turn off the subscription service, plug in my CD player, and pipe in classic jazz. A bit of Blue Note helps the Whoppers go down.

np: Clifford Jordan & John Gilmore (with Horace Silver, Curly Russell, and Art Blakey)/ Blowing in from Chicago (1957, Blue Note)

peter1, Starwanderer, xybert and 4 others like this.