Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

If you don't get "it" on first listen of BH from the 24th show you never will. Its spellbinding blues at its finest. I struggle to think of a live cover that jimi did better.

Fox67, funkydrummer, DTK and 3 others like this.
  2. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I more or less agree. Although it should be pointed out that Miles plays like a man possessed on "Right Off" and "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down."

vmajewsk, DTK and Purple Jim like this.
  3. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Heh. I simply think - one person's opinion - that the rehearsal was the better take, making the one performed that night a runner-up.

It's like, as a guitar player, myself, I've had those moments where you go in, record the first take, not thinking the take could possibly be the best, only to spend 20 more takes trying to capture the magic of that first one. It's only until later do you hear them all to realize the first one that day couldn't be beat.

I see the true inventiveness in the rehearsal take. The same can't be said, though, for "Room Full of Mirrors," nor any other rehearsal for any other song before a show. *shrug*

4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

While I won't say it's better than the concert version, the long take of Hear My Train 'A Comin' has some great moments IMO. I've also heard a fan composite of the multiple takes of Hound Dog into a cohesive whole song and I think it makes for a good listen as well. YMMV.

5. EVOLVIST

The rehearsal take on the 24th for RAH? It's damn good.

By the way @AlexDelarge & @Gordon Johnson, no offense taken nor apologies offered. :) I like it when people disagree with me. After all, I'm not an authority on Hendrix. I can call myself a "super fan," yes, who thinks that Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitar player to ever grace this earth...but there are plenty of people who would disagree with me on that topic, too.

Perhaps even Hendrix would disagree.

jhm and Gordon Johnson like this.
  6. Gordon Johnson

Like wise :righton:

I take the performance piece as a stand alone. Studio and rehearsals are always a different animal. But I don't sit it here against any other live performances, its a stand alone in front of a paying crowd.

7. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

I was under the impression that some Swedish TV station was the recorder? Whether that was local, regional or national, I have no idea.

8. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

You spelled Hank Garland, wrong.

LOL

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Not in this thread he didn't :D:righton:!

SG47 and EVOLVIST like this.
  10. Gordon Johnson

It was recorded for the Number 9 show.

By who, I'm unsure! Hence, recorder unknown but that may have changed since I last updated my records.

Vintage1976 likes this.
  11. EVOLVIST

:righton: I have many guitar heroes. Hank Garland is among them. Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, Joe Maphis, Willie Nelson (much underrated)...Les Paul, Django Reinhardt, Albert King.

I still think Jimi was tops, though! :)

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

Just listening to Way Down In Texas Land (CD1 State Fair Music Hall, Dallas 16/02/68), one of my favourite Hendrix bootlegs. Rugged sound but Jimi's guitar and vocals are clear, Noel is there and Mitch's drums are a little back but come over well. A great super show with Jimi bubbling with energy and enthusiasm.

powerpc, Hep Alien, squittolo and 3 others like this.
  13. EVOLVIST

I'm curious. What makes this one so special for you?

DTK likes this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Recorded by the Swedish state television, both audio and video.

15. Gordon Johnson

yep, it was broadcast on Swedish State TV but how do we know it was filmed/recorded by them?

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They have the masters in their archive I recall. If non SVT (the Swedish state TV) staff filmed it would have been on the order of the state TV.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Jimi on absolute TOP form!

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

19. Gordon Johnson

Yes, I believe they do currently hold the masters.

This is all my assumption too but it is simply that, an assumption!

The thing is, we still don't know who filmed and recorded the show for sure.

DTK likes this.
  20. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Ezy Ryder is not sloppy IMO and is a great version, an edited version was released on the 'Jimi Plays Berkeley' Cd, the full version from Berkeley is always included in my Best Of Live comps !!

powerpc and All Down The Line like this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

You may be right! It's Freedom that's messy, but hey, it was a new tune.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  22. EVOLVIST

Though one might argue that Hendrix had already played his best live version of "Freedom" a several days before Berkeley on May 10th, 1970 in San Antonio :nyah: (granted there are a few I still haven't heard and need to revisit some - but for my money, right now, it's the tightest and most inventive).

23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Was this show professionally recorded? Wow, this is good stuff.

24. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

that is the $64,000 question...

what we know is this, A young man (if you search hard there is an article on him) took a tape recorder into that gig and recorded it, he didn't know Hendrix was going to turn up, no one did, and that is what I've heard and only parts of it, it was very hard to track it down back in the day. Jimi only plays on 2 tracks I believe, Tobacco road is the one I've heard and it is SUBLIME, to the point that it's one of my favorite hendrix solos and I have many many Bootlegs, Apparently War played like never before when he sat in.

Now the legend is and this is from memory so forgive me if I get something wrong, The manager (i think) of war had many shows apparently Multitracked and it has been said or implied by some that this show was one of them, now the problem is, whoever has them, refuses to let anyone ever hear any of them, so no one knows...

I personally doubt it exists but if it does, it would be a holy grail if not THE holy grail at least for me.

Note, I'm not sure if the young mans recording has ever been officially released, there was talk of it at the time, but I've never heard more, maybe someone on here knows more...

I hope this helps

here is a link to Tobacco road

https://www.jambase.com/article/jimi-hendrix-performed-live-final-time-date-1970

All Down The Line and J_D__ like this.
  25. EVOLVIST

I'm confused. The link in the video is KB Hallen, yes? Now we're talking about Ronnie Scott's Club? o_O