Any fans of The Big Bang Theory on CBS?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, on many modern sitcoms of the last 20 years, the writers room actually wrote the script, and they decided which among them would get the actual credit each week. They all still got paid as staffers, so nobody went hungry.

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The only other Lorre show I (occasionally) watch is 'Mom' and, yeah, that one (at least) also has about four or five credited writers on each episode. I assume it's his way of making sure none of his writers make too much money off any one episode? He does seem to like having a large writers' room, I'll give him that.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Does it work that way?

lightbulb likes this.
  4. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

And the thing is: She's still young. She's only 33 or 34.

Matthew Tate and Keith V like this.
  5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

No, of course not. I'm being facetious.

6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I thought the last episode was a nice send off. However, I did find it strange Sheldon’s mom wasn’t included in the trip to Sweden. Amy’s parents could have been included in the audience as well.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It was the series finale. Lorre or one of the other producers said they deliberately didn't have any guests to keep the focus on the main group (the Sarah Michelle Gellar cameo aside). There wasn't really time to work in scenes for Sheldon's mother.

And as mentioned, Laurie Metcalf is doing eight shows a week on Broadway right now.

That said, I suppose they could have dropped in a line about her being afraid to fly over the ocean or being prejudiced against Swedes or something.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  8. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Since the final episode of Young Sheldon was connected so well with the final episode of The Big Bang Theory, and no one has mentioned it, at the conclusion of the former Sheldon listens to the Nobel announcement awarded to Jerome Friedman, Henry Kendell, and Richard Taylor, actual physicists who won the 1990 Nobel Prize for, to quote Wikipedia, "their pioneering investigations concerning deep inelastic scattering of electrons on protons and bound neutrons, which have been of essential importance for the development of the quark model in particle physics."

Very fine conclusion to The Big Bang Theory, not quite what I expected, but I knew Lorre and staff had a rare opportunity of using a second show, Young Sheldon, with the conclusion.

9. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

My wife mentioned something that never crossed my mind, aside from being able to speak to woman without being drunk, Raj was the only character who's life wasn't changed over the years. Penny got a great job and got married to Leonard, Leonard married the girl of his dreams, Howard went to space and got married,
    Sheldon in the end realized what his friends meant to him and won the Noble Prize. Amy got a make over and married Sheldon. Christ, even Stuart got a girlfriend.
    Raj ended up pretty much the way he started.

10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

The end of Young Sheldon episode was a nice tie-in. I thought it was funny when they panned over to all the younger versions of Sheldon's friends one-by-one at their own homes. All the ones who would become PhDs were either studying science or reading, while the ones who did not have a PhD were doing other things. Young Howard (only a Master's degree) was playing video games in front of his TV with his mom yelling at him in the background. Young Penny was doing nothing meaningful when they went to her (I forget what she was actually doing.)

george nadara likes this.
  11. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Penny was sleeping and so was Bernadette.

12. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

But, are you being ironic about being facetious regarding your sarcastic remark...?

:confused:

13. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Am I the only one who thinks Young Sheldon is a much better show?

Charles Adams likes this.
  14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Not holding myself out to be an expert on TBBT (I bailed after season 4), but I had to at least see the finale, and as finales go it was fine. It tied up everything you would have expected, and was surprisingly touching at times. I agree that Raj's arc didn't really do much over 12 years (from what I've read), and that's a shame, but it's also realistic. He started out with problems dealing with women, and ultimately he didn't find a long term relationship that was good for him. That's just the way it is for many of us. What is inescapable is the staying power this show had. The viewing numbers over the years are staggering and never really waned. The fact it lasted this long with the entire cast intact will never be repeated-even Modern Family is ending after season 11.

eddiel likes this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I watched all the seasons but if someone asked when a good time to bail would've been it would be after Season 4, so you picked a good time :)

They never did find much for Raj to do other than go through bad relationships lol I never believed any of them, the last one the least.

I enjoyed the finale. It closed things off nicely without resorting to having someone move to another country, etc.

16. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Perhaps Raj ended up with Buffy the Vampire Slayer...:D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It is a very family-oriented show. I think it’s quite good, but different from BBT. It’s made me much more sympathetic to Sheldon’s mother and rarely seen brother.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Nope, I far prefer it. If nothing else, no laugh track!

Charles Adams and JerolW like this.
  19. Silken

Silken Forum Resident

Sheldon is one of my favorite characters ever, and having watched every episode (although they should have called it a day around season 6 or 7 ) I cried when he (and Amy) found out they won the Nobel Prize. I also cried when he gave the acceptance speech. Oh and when the elevator was finally working. I guess I'm too emotional lol.

20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Well her new first name will be "Mommy," apparently.

That annoyed me, by the way. Leonard and Penny had made a decision to not have children, which is something many couples choose to do, yet it never gets depicted anywhere on TV. I thought it was a brave choice. So, then, in the very end, they "honor" (the writers' word, not mine) the Penny character by getting her pregnant - after having drunk sex.

21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I liked it better when it was called The Wonder Years

goodiesguy, ACK!, daca and 1 other person like this.
  22. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Nah, Kevin Arnold wasn't on the spectrum.

Keith V likes this.
  23. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I don't watch much network TV since cutting the cord and the laugh track seemed way over the top.

It's amazing how tiny Simon Helberg is IRL. He looks like a stiff breeze would blow him away. A talented actor none the less.

I was a big fan of the early seasons and lost interest over time. I didn't buy Sheldon's conversion but I still very much enjoyed the last episode.

24. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I watched the ending episode and the finale after sitting out most of Season 12. I quit watching this show regularly last year or so. I liked the final episode overall. I think it was a good ending. Their ending special about the show was alright as well. Even so I do think the BBT probably should have ended a few seasons ago, it was just less funny over time in my opinion. I find Howard to be usually the funniest character.

BBT was the first broadcast sitcom I watched regularly in 2 decades or so. I generally do not find most sitcoms that funny or entertaining.

25. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

The laugh track is outdated and rather annoying. I wish fewer sitcoms used it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.